>>>>

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Doing the Oxi-Clean Dance!

What you see before you is a VERY DAMP not-quite-half-quilted quilt!

After much discussion and thought…I’ve decided to make better use of my hotel time and bring my hand quilting with me on teaching trips…hoping that quilters will like to see projects-in-progress, watching me finish the work on hand quilting this monster.

Instead of traveling with a machine piecing project -- I'll save hexies for the airports, planes and guild meetings, but relax by hand quilting in the evenings.  This will get DONE!

A couple of years ago it DID travel with me…and on one of those trips, the duffel bag got wet, and then sat in the back of someone’s car trunk ---leaving some stains on the white shirting print background.

I had HOPES that if I just finished quilting the quilt, that I would be able to spray and wash those stains out….but I couldn’t wait ANY LONGER!

I don’t want to travel with a dirty stained quilt.

So today I sprayed oxi-clean on to those bad looking spots, crossed my fingers, threw in a couple of color catchers and WASHED my half-quilted quilt.

I used warm wash/cool rinse. And I held my breath.

afterwashing1

I am hanging it over the roller bar of my longarm to air dry.  I don’t want the quilt to shrink up BEFORE I finish all the hand quilting.

One thing I can say…this quilt was machine basted VERY WELL so that acted much like machine quilting would, and kept things from shifting.

I checked….I didn’t find where the stains USED to be, but we will know for sure once this sucker is dry.

Another good thing ---because I’m quilting this with fans….once I went completely around the quilt a couple of times I went ahead and put the binding on so I didn’t have naked batting just hanging out the edge and looking ratty and terrible.  The hanging sleeve is also done on this quilt….just finishing the quilting on the middle is all that needs to be done.

Fans work their way from the outside edge towards the center where they just meet and stop.  If you want to know more about quilting fans, click my link HERE.

I’m just about packed for Wings Falls, New York tomorrow!  I’ll be IN BED and hopefully asleep by 9:30pm…at least that is my goal.

It’s another 6:15am flight out --- and Yep, you guessed it…..NEWARK AWAITS! LOL!

25 comments:

  1. Bonnie, that quilt is stunning! Whats it's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is another Dear Jane quilt that she started quite a while ago.

      Delete
  2. The quilt is beautiful. You should receive some kind of award for the number of times you have gone through the Newark Airport:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How old is this UFO? I see you used a constant fabric for the piecing rather than the scrappy that you use now. I'll be checking the book to see if I can find the pattern. Looks like a sampler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane blocks. Look for Brenda P book.

      Delete
  4. I've been working on this quilt for something ridiculous like 9 years LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a stunning quilt! Love the pinkness! Good luck with the cleaning and drying project on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a stunning quilt! Love the pinkness! Good luck with the cleaning and drying project on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have taken a while to make that beautiful quilt with all those tiny blocks! I LOVE the look, but don't think I would ever attempt it. And now with hand quilting....you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the quilt! It is awesome!!! Can't wait to meet you Friday in Glens Falls! Safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful quilt. Quite different from the scrappy ones you do now. Hope the stains came out, it is always a crap-shoot when you wash something like that. Good luck. I love the fan quilting. My grandmother always quilted her quilts that way and I have done a one and would like to do more!Happy travels

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man I had no idea that one was in such a state! Egads, my favorite DJ of all, I sure do hope the stains came out. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:02 PM EDT

    The quilt is beautiful and I commend your courage, but I thought Oxi Clean acted like a BLEACH??? Why not just wash it in Synthropol?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! How big is this quilt and what pattern is it? It is wonderful! Hope you finish it this travel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It much be such a relief it came out so well. Good luck with the drying and have a safe trip

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great! I am worried that my Easy Street will bleed when I finally wash it. I will never use fabric that is not prewashed again! I had a leak in my sewing room and where some water got on the top it bled!! Anyway, I have a question for you....what kind of batting do you use for hand quilting? I have one small quilt that I simply cannot finish hand quilting because the cotton batting is so tough to quilt through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bonnie

    I can't wait to find out if your treatment worked on the stains. So you sprayed the spots with oxy product and washed with color catchers. What soap or other product do you normally wash your quilts with? Awaiting the outcome when it is dry.

    Some folks in previous comments have said this basic pattern was a Dear Jane. Obviously you have jazzed up the sashing and cornerstones. So, are the blocks from DJ?

    Gosh, it's a beauty. I can't wait to follow you along with the quilting of it.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had never seen this one, Bonnie. Love the setting for the Dear Jane blocks. Always excited to see one set differently. I have so many DJ blocks that need to be put into a quilt, I need to find something unique too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt, hope the stains come out for you. Safe journey my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt! I need to get working on my DJ... I think Ive done only 4 blocks... twice! Once in rose and white to practice technique and the second time with kit fabrics!

    hm in tn

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quilt! It is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It's simply gorgeous, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, it is beautiful Bonnie!! Hope the oxi-clean worked for you and safe travels to you also.

    Gwen in Sask.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, you are so brave! And the strange thing is, earlier this week I was wondering if you'd finished this quilt and I'd missed that blog day when I was traveling. Safe journeys to you, and good health!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for showing me how to do the fan hand quilting. I am working on a quilt now that I want to quilt that way.
    I love seeing the pictures of the places you go and the quilts you find. You are an amazing lady. love your work !
    Carole in Arizona

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)