>>>>

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Borders On…Baby!!

I was able to enjoy enough of my time home between last night’s Quilt-Cam session and this afternoons sewing to get the borders on both of the baby quilts.

Here I am treadling back in the basement...who would guess that the temp outside today would reach near 90 degrees?!  So much for my willingness to sew outside!

Okay.  So these are not BABY sized baby quilts..they are definitely going to fit these little guys until they are 7 or 8 years old by the looks of it!

But I like to think of a quilt as more than just something to wrap a newborn in.  I’m thinking tummy time, play time and from-crib-to-big-boy-bed time and making-blanket-fort time.

It will be the heat of summer when these two little guys make their appearance ---it’s going to be far too hot for swaddling in quilts as it is.

I just hope they enjoy these for many years to come!

dancingnines 008

Green Version hanging off the deck railing!

dancingnines 009

Blue version on the deck floor.

As I stood there I envisioned a toddler playing on this quilt on the grass.  Yes.  It needs to be this big.  Currently they measure 54” square.  By the time I quilt and bind and wash…they will likely have shrunk another 2 to 3 inches in the process. 

Just about RIGHT, I’d say!  Babies grow way too fast for itty bitty baby quilts anyway!

Backing fabrics have been chosen, but the quilting will have to happen AFTER I return from Illinois.

Today was an odd day of errands mixed with a lot of “office” type stuff including dropping the vintage Morse machine off for a rewiring and overhaul, a bank run, a post office drop off, a salad at Wendy’s ((Okay, so I really do have a thing for their apple pecan chicken salad!)) and phone time discussing a future Western Caribbean cruise, Flyers for the German Christmas Market this December to be dropped off to me in Ottawa, IL  tomorrow when I arrive ((Talk about door to door service!!))

My travel packet for the International Quilt Festival of Ireland has arrived….((Color me excitedly GREEN!))

I have had communication for a trip to the Kenai peninsula of Alaska coming up this August, which is a separate trip from the August Cruise TO Alaska from Seattle ((Yes, can you say crazy air miles?!))

And on top of everything I’ve been back and forth with my editor and my due dates for the next book have been moved up 3 months.  ((ACCCKKK!!!))

And I purchased tickets to travel to Monroe, Louisiana at the end of June for a visit with the North Louisiana Quilters Guild!

When I told this to The Hubster..the only thing that came out of his mouth was…..DUCK DYNASTY!!!!! ((Oh, brother!!))

The desk work is not done.  I’m spending the evening repacking the trunk show……removing some quilts, replacing them with the class quilts I’m teaching in Illinois, trying to keep everything at an even 50lbs per bag!

I’ll pack my class supplies, my clothes, print invoices, print boarding passes and…….off to bed I go.

At least it’s not a 6am flight….9am flight sounds BLISSFUL!

Have a good one, everyone!

29 comments:

  1. Those 2 quilts are gorgeous. It amazes me that you put them together fairly randomly and they look so planned out. the colors are so well distributed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love those 9-patch quilts! Tthank you so much for your border hints on your quilt-cam! VERY helpful--mine always get too long or too short (ack) at the end!! have a fun travel week...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts! What are they called? I'm with your husband! I want to meet the Duck Dynasty clan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had an Aunt Bonnie!! Beautiful~ Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2 Baby quilts look wonderful. those 2 little boys will love them. You are so talented! You work so hard all of the time. It is sounding like you are going to work even harder on the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't eat the pecans on the salad at Wendys. They're not gluten free if you look at the ingredients list. I know because I have a thing for this very salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:35 PM EDT

    have a great flight and a rip roaring good time in the "Windy City". love the baby quilts the piano key borders really make those nine patch blocks dance!
    later....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little boy quilts are just perfect! They will love them for many years to come. Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree on making a baby quilt larger. The last one I made was 60 inches! I figured the same thing, it will last until he stops taking naps! Then, he can cuddle with it on the couch while he watches Sesame Street!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you like Monroe. I suggested you to them back when I was in their guild. They are a really nice group of gals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got to watch the 2nd part of QuiltCAM today. The more I see these quilts the more I like the sashings on two sides idea. When I find my sashing fabric for my 9-patch Bow ties, I might just do this on them. I'm still waiting on the conversion kit for my Bentwood Singer to make it a Hand Crank. Just wondering how that will work...It would be fun to watch you use a hand crank machine on QuiltCAM or even while you are quilting on the two baby boy quilts. You could sew a strip between them and use one large backing fabric ( 90" or 108") and quilt them at the same time. They are very lucky little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love how these quilts look...it has been so fun to be included in the process via QuiltCam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect!!!! I agree, baby quilts need to fit the kid until 5 where it becomes a drag around lovey. Best kind there is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby quilts are great! You r truly an artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:29 PM EDT

    I love this adaptation of a 9 patch, and the name!! It does dance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay where is the tutorial on how to view your webcam??? Love your blog and hope with all you have going on you still find time to blog :) We wanna see all the fun you are having and live vicariously through you! lol Thanks for sharing the cute quilt tops you made! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learned to make larger kid's quilts after I made small baby quilts for my first two granddaughters. I just finished three kid's quilts for my last three grandchildren and they are all about the size you are making. I have 10 grandchildren now, and I'm making the second round of quilts--already have two finished--waiting to see what college that #3 will be attending (quilt will be in college colors). I am including more machine quilting--I just can't hand quilt them all as I used to! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They turned out great!
    Did I hear you say on Quiltcam last night, that you are coming out with another "Leaders and Enders" book? When?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love both of these quilts, they are lucky little people! I will make my next baby quilts bigger now that I've thought about it. Eddie Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are one very busy lady!!

    Both quilts are lovely, but green is my favorite color so I like that one more. :)

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look delightfull Bonnie. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quilts look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonnie, the baby boy quilts are gorgeous. They are going to be well loved, I have pictures in my head of two little mischievious boys at about four dragging them about all over the place, tents, superhero capes etc . They are going to love them and they will be so cosy because they were made from shirts and the bonus is they will be kind of getting a hug from their great grandpa wherever they go. Have a safe trip Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the baby quilts. I got my packet for the Ireland trip too. Can't wait. On another note. I just got Blue Ridge Beauty back from the long armer. I'll be putting the binding on today. I'll see you in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are just so, so, busy! How do you keep up with it all? I'd need about 10 assistants just to keep me pointed in the right direction. And you found time to sew up the baby quilts. Amazing! You must be Wonder Woman. Love reading about all of your adventures. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. See you in Ireland. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, Duck Dynasty and vampires ala Sookie Stackhouse True Blood fame. :)

    I always make baby quilts at least 48" square...give or take a couple inches. Those babies don't stay tiny for long. I made two for my niece's twins this Spring and need to make two more for my own twin grandbabies due to arrive in early Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just have to blink twice and those tiny babies are no longer small enough to snuggle into a little baby quilt. Yours will be treasured for much longer. I want one for me! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)