>>>>

Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Day at The Quilt Merchant!

Yesterday I had the honor and privilege of participating in a very special book signing and meet & greet at The Quilt Merchant in Winfield Illinois!

Valerie Langue and I met many years ago when she first took one of my workshops in Illinois – and we have kept in touch!

When I went to Paris a few years ago, she shuttled us around, taking us out to Versailles and other historical ‘Must See’ places for a first-time visit to France.

And then when I taught in Germany –she trekked on over to see me there!

Quilt Friends just DO that for one another!

And now…..she is back in Illinois as the owner of The Quilt Merchant, a fabulous shop specializing in reproduction fabrics – but that’s not all you will find there.  There are fabrics for EVERY taste, and many samples to inspire!

The Quilt Merchant is a full service Quilt Shop, providing long arm quilting services and many clubs and stitching groups as well.

Valerie’s greatest desire is that The Quilt Merchant will become a place for Quilters to gather.  The class room may be booked by quilting bees for daily use.  Contact the shop for more details!

I thought you might enjoy a little tour, so I took several photos!  There are lots of windows for great natural light in the shop, making it easy for seeing what color is what when matching up fabrics….but too much light can lighten photos, so pardon me if these look washed out!

StCharles_IL2013 235

I took this photo for my friend Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts --- her Lotus quilt is hanging on the wall and looking awesome!  There is a special ruler Julie has designed to make this and other quilts with 60 degree angles a breeze…check it out!

StCharles_IL2013 237

Makes you want to slow down and browse, doesn’t it?

I love a shop with room to wander, that isn’t SO packed full so we can move around!

StCharles_IL2013 238

Find a book, sit at the table and thumb through….BE INSPIRED!

StCharles_IL2013 239

Play with color….and PLEASE PET THE FABRIC!

StCharles_IL2013 240

The Yummy Wool Corner!
((And I spy my friend Mickey Depre’s Pieced Hexies right there on the book rack!))

StCharles_IL2013 241

DROOL!!!

StCharles_IL2013 242

Super Cute!
Wool appliqué on top of vintage cotton fabrics.

StCharles_IL2013 243

RED!!  MUST HAVE MORE RED!
((And more blue, and more neutrals!))

StCharles_IL2013 244

If you are anywhere near Chicago, cruise on over to Winfield and drop by The Quilt Merchant.

I had a wonderful time getting to know everyone there.  we laughed we talked…I even got to go gaga over the cutest 4 month old baby girl ever!  It was just a wonderful time, and I brought home some special fabrics that I am going to work right into my latest hexagon project.

StCharles_IL2013 245

Are you inspired yet?!?
  
StCharles_IL2013 248

This was my little table for the book signing--

I did a little hexie demo for those in the shop ---and we pulled out quilts from my books to show everyone.  The treat table was laden with goodies, and the rain didn’t stop anyone from coming, we were packed to the gills!

The visitors also had some show and share for ME which is always fun:

StCharles_IL2013 249

Rectangle Wrangle from Scraps & Shirttails II!

StCharles_IL2013 251

Close up of fun fabrics!

StCharles_IL2013 252

String Spiderweb!  Love that Yellow!

StCharles_IL2013 253

Love the quilting texture and the scrappy binding too!

Valerie, thanks SO much for inviting me…you are a super friend!  I enjoyed our time together this week, even running to lunch in the pouring rain and getting soaked was worth the laugh!

Hopefully I’ll be seeing you again soon, my friend!

Be sure to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Bonnie for allowing us to follow along in your travels and view the wonderful world of quilting through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!!Can you believe how incredibly talented people are??!!!Lovely shop!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see Mickey's book--it should be eye level--and look at all those hexies on the table! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing shop! I wish I could visit...though it wouldn't be good for the bank account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I get ot Chicagoland I will certain check it out. Lovely samples and of course I love me a Jaybird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful photos, adorable shop...i so love a shop with a table and chairs to sit at and look thru books...and those hexies? priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shop and WOW your hexies are really coming along FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Rectangle Wrangle quilt is a beaut. Another quilt that caught my eye is the one with the horizontal strips bisected with the flying geese. Simple yet stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Lotus quilt is STUNNING! I love anything hexagonal. There is just something so appealing about that shape. I have two hand-pieced hexies in various stages of completion. They are about 3/4 inch finished on a side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get tired of seeing how other quilters have interpreted your patterns, Bonnie. I've saved a ton of photos for future inspiration. That light yellow version of String Spiderweb is by far my favorite of that pattern that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May have to check out Mickey's book when I am down there next weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilts. Bonnie, have you tried doing your hexies with the glue Fons and Porter slim line. Saves you half the time. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos Bonnie. Love the quilt using the hex and more ruler. I love Jaybirds' patterns. And yours of course :) Of course I love wool. And I have a little crush on hexies in anything. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bravo Valérie pour ce magasin et ces créations.
    ( blog donné par Dominique votre cousine et mon amie)
    c'est en demandant de vos nouvelles que je vous ai retrouvé, vous nous aviez accueillis près de Rome il y a fort longtemps, les enfants ont grandi.
    peut être à bientôt par mail ou sur google +
    Marie-Odile

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)