>>>>

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Scrappy Mountain Majesties in St Charles, IL!

We sewed our brains out yesterday!

These blocks are so fun and so fast that you can find yourself with nearly half the quilt finished by the end of the day if you come with your squares cut ahead of time!

In fact, for those thinking of a fast quilt to make for donation to either the Oklahoma Tornado survivors, or another other organization you want to donate to – this is a good one!  you will find the pattern for Scrappy Mountain Majesties under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

And while we are talking about donation quilts…please know that in my last post  I was only passing on the info from a shop who IS collecting quilts for people’s needs ---it isn’t up for debate on the blog whether quilts are what people need right now.  It isn’t a place to hash out whether we should be donating to the red cross or another organization.  I was just the messenger.  This shop *IS* collecting quilts for those who need them.  If you feel lead to do anything in ANY way – let your heart lead you.

People who have NOTHING LEFT will still need a quilt to sleep ON if not under….I don’t know about you, but even in hot climates I do at least sleep under something light…PEOPLE SLEEP.  They can use quilts.

Sometimes it’s just something tactile, something cheerful, something that they can hold in their hands to help them feel that we care.

Sometimes we need that warm and fuzzy hand made hug –and a check doesn’t provide that.

And  Sometimes those of us who feel lead to help have to choose the one way that we CAN help.  Some don’t have money to send – but we do have fabric, and we can make quilts.  So do what you can however you feel you best can help, and please don’t judge the way others feel lead themselves to help.

**Off of soapbox!**

Take a look at what we got up to yesterday!  If you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device---either get yourself to a real computer, or click the image below to be taken to the photo album.

Enjoy!
Scrappy Mountain Majesties, St Charles, IL 2013

Today I'm getting a later start!  No alarm to wake me, boy did that extra hour of sleep in do me good.

If you are in the Chicago area, please come join me at The Quilt Merchant in Winfield for a casual Meet & Greet & book signing!

The new owner, Valerie Langue, is a dear friend and a fabulous quilter!  It's been so great to spend time with her here in Illinois on this visit.

Come see us both!

I'll be there from 1pm to about 3:30 when I'll need to head to the airport for my flight home ---

HOME! And I'll be home until I leave for Ireland....nearly 10 days home.  BLISS!


Be sure to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

15 comments:

  1. LOVE the purple mountains majesty! Yep. Gonna have to do it in that color way. And I sent a donation to the Red Cross and I'm going to send a quilt to the OK Quilt Drive - it's not an either/or thing, is it? We can do both, can't we? So there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM EDT

    Bonnie - thank you for putting info on sending Okie Tornado quilts to the folks out there. I have a baby top made, and will quilt today. Hope to make a few kid's ones too.

    I would like to say to TACKED QUILTS ARE FINE!!! That is hand tied, just make sure you make enough ties to hold the layers together well. SNUGGLE, CARE, LOVE and MOREE SNUGGLE is what they need. That and to know WE CARE!

    HUGS
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have sent a donation to the Red Cross and I'm working with a group that's making quilts to be sent to OK. Thanks for providing us with a place to send them Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, re: *soapbox*,very well said, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you 100% Bonnie. Hard for me to imagine that anybody would not have a soft heart towards any of the Oklahoma survivors! Love the Scrappy Mountain Majesty quilts, looks like fun too. I especially love all the different ways that the blocks can be arranged! Thanks Bonnie! You are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts are to wrap people in love as you said. Send love, send money or send both. I am not worried about what you do, only what I do. In life it is all I ultimately control and I can't and don't want to control anyone else. The Oklahoma victims are on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No doubt a lot of money will be needed. I'm a quilter and a quilt makes me feel like I'm sending a little bit of myself that will wrap someone else in just a little bit of warmth and hopefully they will feel the love as well. Thank you for posting the link Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this as a donation quilt to make. I have a bunch of layer cakes, how would I edit this pattern to use layer cakes instead of 8.5 inch blocks? I'm terrible at math!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like this technique will work with any size squares. Sew the large half square triangles with your preferred size square. Square them up, measure and divide by 4 to get the width of your strips. (If I did the math right... if you start with 10 inch layer cakes, make HSTs and square up to 9 1/2, you then cut it into four 2 3/8 inch strips.)
      Another option is to trim off 1 1/2 inches from 2 sides of your layer cake and use those strips for a piano key border.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to make a quilt for a child. Maybe even several quilts. I think a thing of beauty will be comforting. I also want to donate to the Salvation Army, so the money can go right to work to help these people that have lost everything. When I was 10 yrs. old, I was in an EF5 tornado (55 yrs. ago/Ruskin Heights). Even though our home was spared, we lived with the destruction of our little town (Hickman Mills, MO) for a long time. Our tornado was also on May 20th, but in 1958!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Bonnie! And as someone who lives a little farther south (Texas), we use a quilt on our bed all summer (in place of a heavy comforter). The quilts will be used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping you had a great time at Val's. Wish I could have made it down, but just a bit too far to go twice in two weeks! Will be visiting her in about ten days.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)