>>>>

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Susan’s Little Women Quilt!

While in St Charles, Illinois last week I was talking to Susan about special quilts, as quilters always do and she started telling me about a very special quilt her grandmother had started appliqueing for her back in the 1950s, using many of the fabrics from Susan’s own clothing.

All of the scenes, she said, were depicted from the book Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott.

When she asked if she should bring the quilt in for show and share the next day, I of course said YES!  Who wouldn’t want to see that!

The story goes on that her grandmother put the blocks away and didn’t join them until later in her life, perhaps in the 1970s, some 20 years later.

She quilted them quilt-as-you-go style, joining each quilted block to the next with very fine hand stitching.

I had to take photos of each scene, they are so precious!

Once home – I had the opportunity to search out the origin of this pattern online and this is what I found:
Marion Cheever Whiteside designed and sold through her company, Story Book Quilts, about 50 different designs for applique during the 1940s and 1950s.  The applique designs were available as patterns, kits, and completed quilts. 

The appearance of the “Little Women” design coincided with the 1949 release of one of several film versions of this story, which may have boosted the quilt’s popularity.
As found in Massachusetts Quilts.
StCharles_IL2013 185

The most famous heart wrenching scene of all….losing a sister.

StCharles_IL2013 186

I love the little bit of lace under the skirt!

StCharles_IL2013 187

True love always triumphs!

StCharles_IL2013 188

Aren’t these adorable?

StCharles_IL2013 189

Such detail!

StCharles_IL2013 190

Forever and Always..and let’s have cake!

StCharles_IL2013 191

Rocking the twins

StCharles_IL2013 192

At the writing desk

StCharles_IL2013 193

At the piano

StCharles_IL2013 194

Into the hope chest

StCharles_IL2013 195

Look at the embroidered snood!  Precious!

StCharles_IL2013 197

Down by the lake

StCharles_IL2013 199

Knocking at the door

StCharles_IL2013 200

Is that money in her hand?!

I didn’t get a picture of the full quilt that Susan brought, but I was pleased to find this photo from Massachusetts Quilts of this version done in pink by Mildred Remsen:

pinklittlewomen1

Thank you, Susan for sharing such a treasure!  Your grandmother was quite the lady!

It’s another Desk Day for me.  Book orders out after a long holiday weekend…calendar to update and inbox to clear out with a gazillion things to reply to.

I’m thinking TOMORROW night for Quilt Cam – that will work for me!  Look for me Wednesday May 29 at 9pm Eastern!

And it’s time to start pulling things together for Ireland!! I leave June 4th!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

22 comments:

  1. These block are fabulous! I think I need to watch that dvd today now! Thanks for showing all the great details, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eegads! I forgot to say Congrats on the cabin! Woohoo!

      Delete
  2. Love it thank you and Susan for sharing such a treasure, wish it had been on the day I was there.
    Lynda M (Potter quilt)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! It really brings Marmie and her girls to life. Even the Professor and Laurie. The embroidery is so perfect and effective. One of my favorites to read and to watch as I have all the versions of the movie in my library. Thanks for sharing, Susan and Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh such a beautiful quilt and the blocks just tell the story don't they! I think I may have to pull the book out again...for the umpteenth time! looking forward to seeing the cabin come to life with quilts! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! They are spectacular. I would love to have these patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:34 AM EDT

    Wondering if these patterns are still available out there ... somewhere? What a super idea.

    I too have not mentioned how happy I am to see you have a cabin of your very own. Looks like THE perfect place. Love those double doors, sure will make moving things in and out much easier. Beautiful photos. CONGRATS!

    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful quilt and memory! I love the side view of the faces, such detail. Thanks for sharing your "finds" with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing quilt. I love the book, and the movie versions too. Thanks for taking such great close up shots to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually have a friend with a set of those blocks done by her aunt. We copied the pattern so I'd have a set. I don't know that I'll ever get around to doing them but I love having the pattern because I was named after the Beth in Little Women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precioso !! es una maravilla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt with such a personal story to tell

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool is that!!!!! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool is that!!!!! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Besidess the great applique on this quilt, how about the awesome quilting ~~ so impressive! I do hand quilting, so know how much work this would be! Thanks so much for sharing,Bonnie! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing quilt. Such exquisite detail. This was one of my favorite books of all time. Thanks for sharing this. You must be so excited to be heading to Ireland soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quilt! Really brings back memories of a favorite book I'll now need to revisit! The money in Jo's hand is from selling her hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wiw! Have never seem or heard of this book concept...needle and thread are wonderful tools for expression.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:53 AM EDT

    These quilts are gorgeous! What great inspiration! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a story to applique, since I recently completed an applique class.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous5:25 PM EDT

    Does anyone know which edition (i.e. which illustrator) of Little Women these images are based on? I thought perhaps Jessie Wilcox Smith but they didn't match my 1933 color plates.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynne Crocker3:41 PM EST

    Oh my gosh! Never thought I would see this on the Internet. Several years ago it was time for me to make my DIL's quilt. I had made my Granddaughter's and my Son's already. She had told me which one she wanted and then at the last minute changed her mind. She had seen a copy of the Little Women Quilt in an antebellum she had visited and wanted me to make it. When she told me which one it was I said "You'll never find that pattern, it's very old.". She said she could find it. I told her if she could find it I would make it. Well, I didn't think she would. But she did! So I was stuck. Needless to say, it was a REAL challenge. I haven't done anymore appliqué since. But she loves it and that's what matters.
    Lynne Crocker
    lynneandbob@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)