>>>>

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Off to Ottawa….And St. Charles!


First, an URGENT MESSAGE! I need to reach Margaret (Maggie) Mac Donald from Mount Gambier, South Australia!

Maggie, regarding your book order, your email is bouncing back to me and I need to talk to you!

Please email me at Quiltville@gmail.com!  

If anyone KNOWS Maggie, please have her contact me!  Thank You!



I am so happy to report that this trip I will be NOWHERE NEAR NEWARK!

Let’s all give three cheers.. LOL!

I’m being met at the airport by some very enthusiastic quilters, and we have quite the day planned!  I’m not revealing too much right now, but you will soon find out…so stay tuned!

I love leaving town with a bit of show and tell for you, so let’s dig into the photo vault and see if we can pull something out to inspire you.

This first one is a yummy 1930s antique “Periwinkle Star” also known as “Hummingbird” sent in by Cathy.

Doesn’t that hand quilted texture just beg to be petted?

She writes:

I love your blog.  I feel you are a kindred spirit.  I love your scrappy quilts...

Last summer when going through my mom & dad's things to get ready for auction, My dad passed away 2 years ago, nabbed all my mom's scraps, (she didn't throw anything away)from years of sewing. She made all our clothes, even my dad's flannel shirts, while us kids were home...us kids are in our mid to late 50's now. So lots of vintage fabrics.  I'm going to use your system of scraps to get them into quilts...you inspire me.

I've actually just found out about you a few months ago, and am enjoying myself and learning so much.  Thank you!!!  I'm new at the quilting thing, but have sewn all my life.  I have a treadle machine I would like to get up and running...saw your quilt-cam on it, got excited.  I also nabbed my moms sewing machine, a turquoise brother that weighs a ton, want to clean it up and sew on it. 

Also got my moms  wooden ironing board...that I'm using even if it is too short.  She let me iron my dads hankies when I was little.  Great memories...my mom just turned 80 last December.  I'm in the process of making her a quilt.  Hope you don't mind me rambling on...sorry to take up your time, but I would just love to share a quilt with you. 

cathyw3

I just found it today, saw your post about buyer beware, thanks for the tips.  I found this 30's quilt at  flea market/antique mall for 100.00.  Would like your thoughts.  I thought it was a great deal, no frays, couple small spots, hand quilting.

Green binding, I'm sure the blocks have inset seams.  I'm really excited because I've wanted to own a 30's antique quilt, oh yes I forgot to tell you...the tag said it was over 100 years old...I knew that wasn't so because its definitely 30's fabric.   I could go on about more things I love about your blog, but you re a busy lady...don't know how you do it.

Thanks for all your info you share, tips, patterns, quilt-cams...and more.  Thanks for letting me share with you.
Sincerely,
Cathy
You know what I love about this quilt?  The blocks are in rows!  Someone had enough fabric to do this quilt with each block repeating in each row down the quilt….it’s an exciting visual!  Thanks so much for sharing it with us, Cathy – the quilting looks superb, and I think you got a steal of a deal on it!  Congrats on your new heirloom. And also on your vintage sewing machine addiction.  It's going to be a lot of fun!

I met Carolie in Kansas!  She sent in photos of her Star Struck Quilt:

CarolieE1

She writes:

Hi Bonnie,
I was in your Star Struck class in Winfield, KS in 2011--finally I finished it and I love it! I had always wanted to do a real scrap quilt--to commit to not worrying about what fabrics "went together" and just focus on contrast. It was liberating and fun to piece.
 
CarolieE2
 
Close up --- Great quilting detail!
On another note, I'm so glad you have a passion for old vintage sewing machines. Your curiosity about the women who used those machines when they were considered the latest modern model, sparked me to ask my mom (91 years) about the machines she and grandma used--where it was kept in the house etc. She said she loved sewing on the treadle--really liked the control she could have. So, our goal is to get the old treadle machine up and going and have Mom do some piecing on a quilt that I am wanting to re-make. It's great to have a project to work on with her!
Thank you for sharing with us all that you do.


I do love treadling! And I hope you get your mom sewing away again.  It’s just such an easy feeling…like rocking on the front porch, a pure pleasure!  Your quilt is lovely, this will always be one of my favorite scrap patterns! Star Struck is found under the Free Patterns tab at the top of the blog.
 
Next up..Four gals from Wiregrass Quilters!
 
Jane R sent in photos hanging in her guild show from a class that I taught with them.  Four quilts could not be more different!  I just love seeing this!
 
Jane writes:
 
Hi, Bonnie,
I just had to send this to you.  We had our annual quilt show last weekend and displayed four quilts from the Cathedral Stars class that you taught in Albany last November.  And I know that at least two more have been completed but were not in the show.  I thought that was an amazing finish rate.  You still didn’t make a scrap quilter out of me, but I do love this quilt.  Thank you for doing such a good job teaching this class.
Annebarker1
 
Made by Anne B.
 
jaynerogers1

Made by Jane R.
((I don’t know, it looks kinda scrappy to me!!))
 
maryharmon1
 
Made by Mary H.
 
Raegiddens1
 
Made by Rae G.
I think the ladies ALL did a wonderful job.  Catherdral Stars is found under the Free Patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Sue W shares her Bow-Dacious!

She writes:

Dear Bonnie,

I attended one of your trunk shows a few years ago at the Southern Crescent Guild in Fayetteville GA.  I so much loved your Bowdacious  that  I had to make myself one.  I attached a picture for you.
Thank you for your inspiration.

Best Wishes,
Sue W

suew1
 
Sue’s Bow-Dacious Variation
Bow-Dacious is found in Adventures with Leaders & Enders.
 
I think that spring green just may well be my new favorite color! It seems we went so long without green this past long winter….and now I can’t get enough of it!
 
Ladies, thank you so much for allowing me to share your beautiful quilts with our readers.  I hope to have many more great photos to share with you from my Illinois trip this week!
 
Go stitch something!
































3 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks so much for the great quilt show this morning. I'm so happy I had time to view the whole post and actually read it all, too. You really made me smile today. I especially liked the vintage 1930's quilt. What a great picture she took of it. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank heavens Cathy's dad didn't throw away all her mom's scraps OR her mom's wooden ironing board - what treasures! LOVE Carolie's Star Struck quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the borders on Sue's Bowdacious quilt! Neat way to use up more of the little blocks that just make themselves when you are sewing something else. Thanks for the wonderful (calorie free) eye candy-it was YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)