>>>>

Friday, May 10, 2013

Hand Quilting Away!

This quilt is going to get done come heck or high water!

I wasn’t sure how it would work to try to hand quilt in the hotel room….but I did think ahead and brought my clip on Ikea light….and I stuck it on the desk chair, and propped it up over my shoulder so it would shine light on what I was doing.

IT WORKED!

Hotel lighting is usually so poor, that I'm glad I thought of this.

I’m also happy to say that the stains all washed out of the quilt…and last night I was able to complete 4 fans, each with 6 arcs….while watching a couple back to back episodes of NCIS!

It’s slow going, of course, but any progress is good progress, and I just have not had hand quilting time at home…..there are other deadlines more pressing and this kept getting put onto the back burner.

GlensFalls_NY2013 035

How do you eat an Elephant?  ONE BITE AT A TIME!

How do you hand quilt a bed sized quilt?  ONE STITCH AT A TIME!

And this is where you’ll find me tonight after we return from dinner out with the guild girls…..the plan is to head to Saratoga for a really nice place..FUN!  I’ve never been to Saratoga…and I’m always up for something new!

Enjoy your Mother’s Day weekend ladies….I know many of you are keeping mothers who have passed on close to your hearts this weekend.  My own mother is far across the country and I am missing her at this time too.

Love from Glens Falls ---

17 comments:

  1. and one day it will be done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I handquilting too.Happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, I have had my hand quilting out this evening. One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:16 PM EDT

    Enjoy the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying the time stitching is what it should be about, and before you know it, it will be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the hand quilting. I'm a hand-quilter: I'm not a professional designer/teacher, so I don't have any quotas or deadlines, and I have the luxury of time. I can finish about five quilts a year, and that's enough quilts for me. I have to moderate the number of tops I make, but that's one way to keep my quilt obsession under control. I just love the look and feel of hand-quilting: it's the reason I began quilting in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you figured out a good way to make this project do-able and portable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your hand quilting time. I am cutting the pieces for a really cute birdhouse pillow that one of the girls on the NewFO Challenge Linky sent me. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration to me when you are juggling all these balls in the air! I think even I can get some UFOs finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of these days when you can't think of anything else to do... I would love to watch your hands and listen to you talk about hand quilting on a video. I feel so clumsy each time I turn to go another direction. I would like to watch you for 10 or 15 minutes. I am just beginning to do baptist fans on a baby quilt. My fans are wonky, but I get better with practice. And some day I will take on a big quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a great class today, Bonnie! Thank you for your pearls of wisdom, your sense of humor, and your boundless energy. You certainly deserve to put your feet up and enjoy some relaxation time hand quilting this lovely quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing it "in person" at tomorrow's guild meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you have about as many projects going on as I do! I will be making and assembling hexies! HAVE FUN BONNIE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy some quiet "me" time. Glad you are getting some stitching in. Dinner was fun and I'm sew enjoying my new friends in Glens Falls. Sleep well, see you tomorrow!
    Cindy P.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Bonnie,
    Saratoga is the next suburb along from my house - BUT on the other side of the world. LOL. Dasha

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of thimble are you using. Also could you maybe do a quilt cam or tutorial on hand quilting. I am working on one but could use some help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What kind of thimble are you using. Also could you maybe do a quilt cam or tutorial on hand quilting. I am working on one but could use some help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like some yellow markings for the fans. What did you use?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)