>>>>

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Smith Mountain Morning, Anyone?

Yesterday I gathered with the Lake Ocnoee Quilters of Greensboro, GA for our second worksshop – Smith Mountain Morning!

((Smith Mountain Morning is featured in my book Scraps & Shirttails II and signed copies can be ordered from my website  HERE.))

While the previous day’s quilt, Scrappy Trips, was an easy breeze and a quick bundle of fun, this class is more intense and mainly focuses on the use of 3 different techniques with specialty rulers: Easy Angle, Companion Angle and Tri-Recs --- all of which were mastered beautifully by the ladies as their units and blocks began to take shape.

Some classes, like Scrappy Trips ((also shown above)) ---provide an opportunity to get a WHOLE BUNCH of blocks done with in the class time ---but Smith Mountain Morning is a more labor intensive class, and we switch up units about every hour in order for everyone to get experience with all the units before putting them together into  blocks.

Most students can usually complete one or two stars and one or two log cabin alternate blocks by the time we are done for the day --- but also have handfulls of units ready to put together into more blocks by the time they get home.

We had a great time sewing together, and I hope you enjoy our photos!

Today I am journeying home ---but it’s going to be a leisurely day ---I’m going to stop and visit my old guild in North Augusta, SC and then swing by to visit my son Jason at his work in Columbia SC and then make my way north through Charlotte ---let’s see ----do we opt for Ikea or the Antique mall today?!

I’ll be good if I make it home by dinner time :c)

And Georgia was so fun, I’ll be back down here in a week!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Bonnie, the Class was wonderful, intense, but fun! Looking forward to seeing you in Perry next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this, these pictures are so inspiring and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this quilt is just STUNNING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Smith Mountain Morning is NEXT on my to-do list :) I have had your book since it was first available. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Ga. My home state!!! Quick question, just when you have the time to respond... for purposes of displaying your quilt in the class on the black telescoping stand you have, do you have a sleeve on each quilt or some other quick/easy way of attaching the quilt to the cross bar on the display stand?? I recently purchased one to use to photograph my quilts and really don't want to have to put a sleeve on each quilt if I don't have to. Happy antiquing today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! Wish I could join one of your workshops!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I see/saw some tumblers being used as Leaders & Enders???????
    I will be glad when you are home safe. Snowy weather heading our way tonight with the brunt hitting the NE states tomorrow.
    XOXOXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting all the blocks in progress. Makes what seems like a complicated quilt look very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always in awe of those people who choose different colourways to yours. Very brave and very lovely!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)