>>>>

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Shelvy’s Spool Pin Doily!

Adorn it with a doily!

You may have noticed the lovely crochet and tatted doilies I have on my vintage machines.  They’ve all been gifts, and cherished ones!

Why a doily? It’s just a nicer, prettier alternative to the “red circle” of felt usually found (And shown through the doily) in this photo.

Vintage machines especially need something between the spool and the machine to keep the rotating spool from wearing away the clear coat and the paint beneath.

Besides!  They are so pretty and girly, why not?

I’ve met Shelvy several times, and she is always a joy to be around!

She’s also a frequent Quilt-Cam watcher, and when she saw the lovely little spool pin doilies adorning my vintage machines, and that we couldn’t find an online pattern for one anywhere, she took it upon herself to see if she could come up with one that would be easy enough for anyone with simple crochet skills to master! 

She said it took less than an hour of her time, didn’t take a lot of crochet cotton of course, and such fun to make in a variety of colors.

With Shelvy’s permission, I’m sharing her pattern with you today so you can make some for yourself and your friends!

Shelvy’s Spool Pin Doily!
Click HERE for printer friendly version!

What you need:

#10 cotton crochet thread in desired color.
Hook size: #6

Guage: Rd 1-3=2”

georgia_feb2013 122

Directions:

Ch 6, join with a sl st to form ring.

Rd 1: Ch 8 to count as first dc & first ch 5, (dc in ring, ch 5) 7 times.  Join with a sl st to the 3rd ch of the beginning ch 8.

Rd 2: Sl st into the first ch 5 sp, ch 3 to count as the first dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 1)in the same space; (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc, ch1) in remaining ch 5 sp around, join with a sl st to the top of the beginning ch 3.

Rd 3: Sl st in the next dc and the next ch 2 sp.  Ch 3 to count as the first dc, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 3) in the same sp, (2 dc, ch2, 2 dc, ch 3) in each remaining ch 2 sp around.  Join with a sl st to the top of the beginning ch 3.

georgia_feb2013 123
Shelvy, the doily, and me!
georgia_feb2013 155
Shelvy’s pattern, written in her own hand.
I cherish this!

stringgeese 038

I’ve placed the doily on the spool pin of my great-grandmother’s Singer 15-90.  I think she would be pleased!  I remember Great Grandma Manuel as a very tiny, very proper lady with long white hair all done up in a perfect chignon in the back.  She always wore dresses, stockings and proper shoes.  Yes, this doily suits her machine to a D – for doily!

35 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It has me thinking of knitting something in some colorful yarn and felting it to create a fun, unique machine "felt.".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. It has me thinking of knitting something in some colorful yarn and felting it to create a fun, unique machine "felt.".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was so nice of Shelvy to write that up and share with us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the doilies! Just what my machines need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU! I really appreciate your sharing of that direction! It looks easy enough to create that. Now do i have any cotton crochet thread laying around?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! Thanks for sharing! Now I need to find my crochet supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet woman! Thank you for your thoughtfulness Shelvy! Thanks Bonnie for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Shelvy and Bonnie for sharing this adorable doily! I'm going to make one for my mini group girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Shelvy for sharing the directions. I can't wait to try it. Between this and the decoupage idea, I'm off to the store to get supplies. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thanks for working it out and writing it down, Shelvy. And thanks, Bonnie, for sharing it with all your fans. This was on my round tuit list--we know how long that might have taken... Now it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking for directions for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you sew much for sharing this! I am going to make these for all my machines and for all my friends machines! What a great idea and a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:06 AM EST

    My Singer Futura is from 1970, so it's not quite vintage yet, but I think it might like a little spool pin doily. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this. I have wanted some for my machines for a VERY long time. I don't crochet, but now that I have the pattern I am going to find someone who does and talk them into making some for me (even though I already have three).

    So, funny story time. I was cleaning out the little drawer in my sewing table the other day and found a little baggie with several little crocheted circles in them ... guess what! I have had three of them for YEARS and didn't know what they were. I found them at a garage sale and liked them so I bought them.

    You never know what you will find at a garage sale ... or even in your own sewing room! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. how sweet of her. It would be so fun to have a color for every season and holiday

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great reminder to why those red felt circles were there in the first place. The older wooden spools when spinning as the thread was taken off the spool would start to wear off the paint and the felt, and in this case the crocheted circles enhance the movement of the spool. Be careful not to make it too thick, this could actually slow down the spool and be sure the spool doesn't have any barbs or nicks, these will catch in the crocheted yarns. A great idea and gift for those who don't crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing! I use larger spools (500m) and I just but a 2" square of fabric over the felt - the little doily is so much nicer! Now I hope I kept some crochet cotton after the big cleanout last year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie thank you and thank Shelvy for sharing her pattern. I have been scouring the web for a pattern. I did find one, but not as lovely as this one. Thanks again! Looking forward to Quilt Cam tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did make some for my machines. but not in this pattern. They are so cute. great idea. and girly. Looking forward to tomorrows quilt cam. and enjoyed last nights. I am trying to get all my scraps cut up into usable sizes an get rid of the mess. organize, organize. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. I noticed them on Quiltcam a while ago. Thanks for sharing the directions she used. Something new to make my Quilt-y friends for Christmas or Birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you and Shelvy for the crochet pattern! I have been seriously coveting it since I saw it on your machine on Quilt Cam. I can't wait to make one..or a dozen. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute. Thanks Shelvy for the pattern and thanks Bonnie for sharing. I think I need some.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5:10 PM EST

    Interesting your comment about wearing dresses. I know I never saw my grandmother in trousers, never ever. And as a kid my mom did her house work in wrap around skirts. Dresses for afternoon wear and on holiday picnics some pants. None in the last 20 years of her life. Me, I wear pants each and every day. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so sweet of you and Shelvy to share this pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for the great pattern! It's wonderful, and so nice of you and Shelvy to share it with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been noticing them on quiltcam, and thinking that I should try to figure them out..... SO CUTE! Thank you Shelvy and Bonnie for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it, Bonnie- Now I have something I can crochet and actually use-

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks! I'm going to make one for my featherweight!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so fun I have to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My passion included with quilting, thank you Shelvy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am one of those that spent hours trying to find directions on how to make these. Thanks so much for posting these directions! And thank Shelvy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. so when you're sewing, does the doily spin around with the thread?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I googled spool pin doily and came right to your site. I wish I could crochet it; unfortunately the tremor makes it very difficult. I'm going to post the link for your page and ask if my friends know anyone locally who might crochet these for my RedEye Singer Treadles. Thank you for posting this, and please thank Shelvy for sharing her pattern and talents!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, I just posted a comment, and don't know if it's gone for approval or just gone. I want to thank Shelvy for sharing her pattern and talents. I can't crochet because of a tremor, but am going to post your page link and ask my friends if they know someone who might be willing to make these.

    Thank you for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)