>>>>

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

On Quilt Adoption ---

My kids shake their heads at me just “KNOWING” I am going to be the crazy old lady with a house full of cats, vintage sewing machines, too much fabric, and old beat up quilts that no one else would adopt!

As Pati and I wandered the antique mall, I spied a pile of folded “quilt” looking items….making a beeline to where they were.

They were behind what I really would LOVE to have in my house, but it’s just not practical – where would I put a HUGE spinning wheel?! I don't even SPIN! And yes, I’m justifying my reasons for not having one, all the while stuffing every corner with vintage machines and antique quilts and MORE FABRIC!

I knew before even looking at the price tags that these were coming home with me. They are SO VERY indicative of this area. And I find it so sad that these ended up in an antique mall, but so happy that they can come live with me for a while!

What’s not to love about a vibrant radiant star? It’s got everything! Reds, Golds, Browns ((Which may have been green at some point?)) and triple not-quite-diagonal quilting. Rounded corners. It’s a fairly early quilt, even with the batting being this thick – it was made to be warm!

antiqueing 066

Look at how precise these points are!

One of the reasons these came home with me is that I can NOT see myself making these. You would have to shoot me because I’d rather be shot than be faced with making a quilt in two, three, or even four fabrics ONLY. But I love them! There are some rough spots in this one, a couple tears, some fading, but that RED! Oh, the red drives me!

antiqueing 067

THIS ONE! It’s a “cotton boll” design I haven’t seen before! ((Siobhan, have you?!)) And this is that tealy blue that I just love ---and the brown was originally what they referred to as “ox blood” in color. It’s faded out in the center and bottom edge, but several of the blocks still have the deep reddish brown. I just LOVE how the quilting texture shows against solid fabrics!

antiqueing 068

Look at that echo quilting! And the fans in the sashings….YUMMY!

antiqueing 069

A flip to the backside shows the unmarked fans…..Pati and I were speculating that there may have been more than one quilter on this…look how TIGHT the fans are on the bottom border, and then look at the left side….there are about TWICE as many rows of quilting in the bottom fans. Can you picture these old spinster sisters saying something like “SLACKER!! Put more rows in your quilting!” “No, YOU ease up a bit, you are giving me a cramp looking at your stitching” LOL! There is also a definite difference in the size of the stitches --- so I am imagining family and friends gathered around the frame quilting on this beautiful applique. But would I make this myself? NEVER! So this is why I bought it…..16 identical blocks out of the same 3 fabrics? JUST SHOOT ME!

antiqueing 087

Here is the Cotton Boll hanging from my front porch rail….if you look close you will see the indestructible poly double-knit log cabin on the front porch swing :c) See? There IS a place for those too!

So here is my exciting news ---I’ve got PDF copy of parts of the next book! My job today is to check for typos and errors. And the title and subtitle are approved ---even though they’ve been a “working” title since before Roll Roll Cotton Boll ---it’s not a done deal until the powers-that-be say so…and they LIKED it! They did! I’m so over the moon over this….

So for now, I’ll keep the TITLE itself quiet until we have a cover design, but what do you think about THIS as a SUB-TITLE?!

“Happy, Scrappy & Loving It!” :cD

The Morse machine doesn’t have a name yet….but I sewed on her last night and she has a great stitch! The only thing that is different is that she has a permanent LEFT needle position when straight stitching…she moves right to do the swings of her Zig Zag stitch – but straight stitch is at the far left. There is no way to position her front and center, so I’ve had to put tape to mark a 1/4”. No biggie! I’d love to sew more on her this afternoon.

I spent time looking up websites, I found that she was made in Japan, by TOYOTA! I’m looking for a manual for her – I followed a link that lead nowhere ---She threads just like my Blue Wizard does with the needle facing to the side, threading from the left to theright. She uses a regular class 15 ((large)) bobbin. I had to oil her a bit, loosen both her top and bobbin tension…..but after some test runs, COOL MACHINE!

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

44 comments:

  1. 'Happy, scrappy & loving it' totally sums you up! Perfect! I love the two quilts you found. So funny the conversation the old bitty quilters might have had! It's so true! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "sub title" - perfect fit for all of us. So, you "drive" a Toyota! Love it! SPG? Stitches Per Gallon? (Tea, water, wine, whatever!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Toyota made machines are usually acknowledged to be some of the best Class 15 machines ever made. They are often called class 15 clones, although there are differences between them and the Singer class 15s. Oh, yeah, I really want a teal colored one.
    Loved the antique quilts--I am always amazed at the immense amount of time it had to take to do all that 1/4" apart quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 AM EDT

    Wow, that cotton boll quilt is sure a lesson in why to keep your quilts out of the sun, hey? (or at least rotate them on the sunny bed so they fade evenly - LOL!)I really like the sashing on it.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:30 AM EDT

    Here is a wonderful web site, I bought my feather weight manual and parts from.

    http://www.april1930s.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha don't name that machine after my husband Tracy like you said you would.... He would die being associated with your far left needle. LOL <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing quilts! You always find the best treasures - so glad you share them with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alberta Diane9:34 AM EDT

    Wow! I love the two Quilt treasures that you found. I have a tendency to adopt old quilts and machines from auctions and antique stores too. I feel happy giving them a new home where they will be loved and can live out their "golden years". Your subtitle is perfect for you and your many loyal follwers. We can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:40 AM EDT

    I love looking at the quilting designs. I'm still trying to figure out how to hand quilt my Orca Bay. When I was looking for a sewing machine a year ago, I came across a couple Toyota's on Sears, I think. When we lived in Japan, I only saw Brother sewing machines set up in stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:11 PM EDT

      Brother was a major manufacturer for Kenmore in the 1970's and, possibly, before. They made the better quality machines for Sears for many years. I loved to work on them (taught new owners how to use their machines to the fullest!)
      Bev (kwiltpharm@aol.com)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, so jealous that you seem to have such wonderful antique stores around you to find these lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That first quilt is GORGEOUS!!! I love the red too. You always have the best luck! Lois will be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new, old quilts! I have the sewing machine my mom got when I was a baby, so early 60's. It is a "White" sewing machine. I taught myself to sew and eventually quilt on that machine with the far left needle. It is in a wood cabinet and it has a knee peddle. Love that machine. It always confusses my daughters when I refer to it as the 'white' machine, since it is aqua, and my Berinina is actually white.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the two quilts you brought home. I always marvel over such dense hand-quilting. Heard a theory once that the denser the quilting possibly meant it had been a longer, harder winter that year, so they just stayed in and quilted. : )
    Great book subtitle--succinct and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my daughters plan on implosion here, after i pass to hoarders heaven (hoarder, their word not mind). moving along, oh what beautiful quilts. so glad they've been adopted to a good home. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha, didn't notice your post title until after my comment, 'on quilt adoption'. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that subtitle fits you perfectly!
    I love all the quilts! I Really love the star quilt tho! You are so lucky to find such great quilts!
    Have fun on your toyoto!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those quilts are beautiful! I've never been in an antique mall. That is something I will have to find and go exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why you had to bring those quilts home. They are beautiful! I showed my hubby your Morse and told him it was made by Toyota. He suggested naming her Tokyo Rose (he is a WWII history buff).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:58 AM EDT

      Yeah, but Tokyo Rose was the enemy....

      -Melinda E.

      Delete
  19. What great quilt finds. You totally make me laugh talking about doing a quilt in the same four fabrics.
    Love the sub-title for the new book. When will it be out? I will be 'needing' it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:44 AM EDT

    I love the sub-title name. It's you!
    Your new star quilt is awesome. Good find.
    Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  21. So what could be wrong with being "the crazy old lady with a house full of cats, vintage sewing machines, too much fabric, and old beat up quilts that no one else would adopt!"? Seems a perfectly sane plan to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:16 AM EDT

    My first thought for name was Rosie (nod to rosie the riveted)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous11:17 AM EDT

    Riveted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11:17 AM EDT

    No, I mean rivet-er

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:30 AM EDT

    I will be the "crazy old lady with NO cats, a house full of machines, fabric and old beat up quilts" that no one else wants. I've stopped collecting quilts, somewhat, but these 2 make me want to go on the hunt for more. I'm so jealous!

    Jessica in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  26. São divinas essas colchas,eu faria brincado as duas,adoro essas a mão,faço todos os dias um pouco de hexágonos,estrelas e agora estou aplicando placas.Haja linha e agulhas.Claro que durante o dia eu costuro à máquina.Eu gostaria muito que quando encontrássemos estas peças,que viessem junto pelo menos parte do histórico.Sonho?????Tenho 3 máquinas antigas e doei para um bazar de caridade outras 3.Essas que ficaram são maníacas,cada uma gosta de um tipo de tecido,colei um adesivo para eu não perder tempo.Tenho uma que era da minha avó,toda de ferro,teimooosaaa,não aceitou motor,só pedal e costura tudo,da seda até lona de caminhão.É IMPRESSIONANTE!!Ai,ai tenho que voltar ao trabalho...Um beijo grande.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the star quilt, I bet it was stunning before it faded. I'm glad you have it rescued from the mall! I have the start of a collection of machines, both Singers. One's a treadle and one is an electric machine from about 1949. Both sew like mad! I saw an old thread-from-the-left machine at the home of a lady from church; still running and doing a great job. I'm happy your day turned out so well for you! ...and I'm a tiny bit jealous too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Don't know about the cats, but I'd be willing to be you WILL have a house full of quilts & sewing machines. Love that star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm already known as the crazy cat lady, and having too much fabric. So far only ...6 machines! uh oh

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous12:33 PM EDT

    My son in law once asked me if I could just put a price on everything now so they would know how much to sell it for when I die!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the sub title and the new adoptees! I really need to sew on some of my featherweights to see how they perform.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the quilts - especially the star. They both look to be so beautifully quilted! I really am going to hand quilt something big one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The beautiful old quilts made it to a new loving home. That's wonderful. I'm with you. No Lone Stars for me even though I live in the Lone Star state and love their beauty. It's just too difficult for a average quilter like me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great quilts! It's a good thing someone is finding a place to put these quilts... hate to see them end up being "homeless". Maybe some day (if your boys aren't into quilts)when your done enjoying them you should donate them to a museum. Just a thought.
    The name Morse makes me think of Morris the cat commercials. That what I thought it said when I first read it. Great machine... love the color! Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have not seen that pattern before...it is sort of like Cotton Boll meets Dresden plate with a Pennsylvania type of stem....

    There is a facebook quilt history group...could I post a photo there and see what they think?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing! I love the old quilts. They're gorgeous! As far as spinning wheels go, walk away quick! I'm a spinner, and it's a whole 'nother obsession! I have a fiber stash of exotic wools and fleeces that rival my fabric stash! Let's just say between the quilting and the spinning/knitting, I'm never bored!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous5:26 PM EDT

    not sure, but the knobs above the zig zag viewer, I think they turn and set the needle position. Ramona from Maine sewnsew@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. The subtitle is a teaser...now we can speculate about the title.
    The radiant star is so vibrant that it looks like a new quilt. It wasn't until you showed a closeup of the quilting that I realized that it's old.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just inherited a Morse 6500. I'm jealous of the pink beauty. Love your quilts and your humor.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous10:16 PM EDT

    Oh Bonnie! My first sewing machine was a Morse, bought from a rep via an ad in the newspaper in CA in 1968. Used my teacher retirement refund to buy it. I sewed on it for 25 years, on everythibng from bartiste for baby dresses to tent and backpack fabric, corderouy and denim. It was a real workhorse and I was so sad when it finally was no longer repairable -- the feedogs no longer gripped enough to give a good seamand the local repairman could not find another to cannabalize for the part. I was able to buy a Bernina 1230 to replace it and have sewn on that one ever since. I love my 1230 as much as I loved my Morse, though the Bernina is not QUITE as heavy to lift!
    I kept the Morse in a closet for several years and 2 years ago let Salvation Army have it. I will have to look, but THINK I recently came across accessory feet for the Morse which had not made it to SA along with the machine ... Will flag you if I find them and you would like them.
    Karen in FL

    ReplyDelete
  41. When you mentioned you would rather be shot than make a 2 or 3 color quilt, I spewed my tea all over my lap top this a.m. laughing. I love your quips and snips first thing in the a.m. while waking up. You start my day a little more elevated. Thanks for being you, Bonnie. I'll buy your book no matter what the title.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You'll have to get a new seam guide for this new machine. What fun! Love the new (to you) quilts. That red is purdy! I just love red.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)