>>>>

Friday, March 09, 2012

Tidewater Pineapple Blossoms!

We had a full, fun Pineapple Blossom class day on Wednesday --- a great group of ladies, a terrific pot luck lunch, lots of laughter and LOTS of sewing!

The church facility we met at had great lighting ((As quilters, we know how important lighting is to our projects and work spaces!)) lots of windows….plenty of power with no blown fuses for irons ((Also a MUST HAVE!!)) and the tables were HUGE – so everyone had plenty of space to spread out.

I absolutely loved the variety I saw in the blocks. The stories behind the fabric origins were fun too --- some were completely scrappy, some were going with color schemes, and some trying to purpose Jelly Rolls or Bali Pops that had been laying around a long time with no project in mind for them --- and this was the project to push them into a quilt, instead of just occupying a spot on the shelf for “some day.”

I also loved getting to see Bunnie’s Orca Bay in progress….getting to be up close and personal to someone else’s quilt means *I* can marvel over the fabric in there and see it so much better than just a photograph. So many people tell me how much different the quilts look in person, or better in person, than in a photo on the computer, and I can say the same thing about the quilts that people share with me for show and tell at guild meetings. It thrills me to see them up close!

vabch2012 124

Bunnie’s quilt is only 1/3 put together, but it’s coming along! You wouldn’t know it but one of her dark brown fabrics actually had SNAKES on it, and she hated that fabric until she cut it up into 2.5'” squares for the corner of the star blocks. It doesn’t look like snakes now! Remember --- hideous? Just go for SMALLER! I love the ocean colors of her blue/turquoise/teal fabrics too. Yum!

So here’s the blocks in progress from a group of fabulous ladies!

I’m on the mend. And there is no more time for laying around feeling punky anymore! I’ve got a chiropractor appointment, an eye doc appointment, and a massage all scheduled one after the other. It will be a run around day ----

And is it REALLY true that day light’s savings starts THIS Sunday?! This is going to be one ugly Sunday – I’ve got a 5:20am flight to Little Rock Arkansas, which means…it’s a 4:20 am flight to Little Rock? OY!

Happy Friday, everyone! Bring on the weekend!


19 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie, I love those blocks! I printed out this pattern to do one day. Hope you're feeling better. You should after that massage. I so need one, maybe tomorrow. What are you teaching next? Thanks for sharing all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This block is looking great. I have as yet never tried doing this. Your Orca Bay is looking beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:41 AM EST

    Absolutely Amazing!!!!!! Beautiful block and oh so different looking in the various colors..... I'm relatively new to quilting and have never seen the "pineapple Blossom" block. I will be searching for it immediately!! Thanks you for sharing .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:04 AM EST

    I'm glad you're feeling better. It's no fun feeling punk.
    Lovely blocks. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an array of colors and fabrics! Love it! Glad you are feeling a little better. Say "HI" to Little Rock for me. I used to live there, too. Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now I want to do a Pineapple Blossom quilt! I just love all the scrappy looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow those turned out beautiful! I have been wanting to do a pineapple quilt. Hmmm never thought of doing a scrappy one- I was thinking I had to come up with some bought fabric. Have a good trip- I know I work the whole weekend so I am right there with you about the time change thing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those blocks. Saw Sloanie buddy Laurie's blocks in there. Every slide show I see of your classes puts another quilt on my need to do list. So Thanks!
    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to hear you are on the mend; all those pineapples are great--such a "happy" pattern...
    I have almost all the HST's cut and all (I hope--I kinda lost count) of the 4-patches cut for your "Blue Ridge Beauty". And all done as "leaders and enders" while I worked on the spiderweb--soooo neat!! Have a safe trip Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some very fun color combos in these "Blossoms". Still need to make this one!
    Hope you survive your hectic day. If you aren't 100% yet that could be draining (when I am 100% those kind of days can be draining). And I hope you survive your early flight Sunday. Yikes!! That means you have to actually get up at...no, I can't say it. It is too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the block that had the "blah, blah, blah!" fabric! How fun is that! "Blah, blah, blossoms!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing how the same block can be so different depending on the color you use!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:07 PM EST

    Yea! Thank you for the pictures and the compliments. Now I have to decide if I should work on my Pineapple Blossoms or Orca Bay! Since I was using Orca Bay as leaders and enders during class, I think I'll just lead with one quilt and end with the other! Glad you're feeling better, Bonnie.
    Bunnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the signature block! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish I could have been there! Sounds like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are feeling better, sweetie! The pineapple blocks are just fabulous in their different-ness and I'm jealous of the signature blocks. Thanks for including the picture of the Orca Bay, too, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blocks, Bonnie!! You must be a very proud teacher. I started one in batiks after you posted your last slide show. Love how many different combinations folks come up with. I'm SOOO envious of the signature blocks you did for those folks. Wish I could find a class you are teaching local to me. Glad to hear you are feeling better. UGH! Don't envy you the wee hours flight on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That slide show was really inspiring! This weekend I'm working on two of your patterns: Chunky Churn Dash and Sister's Choice. Must try to restrain myself from starting Pineapple Blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the Pineapple blocks. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)