>>>>

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Should be packing but -----

I keep getting waylaid by things I need to look up, or do like my online check-in for my flight tomorrow ---and then I check email.

Well, then lets just check facebook while we are here too because there might be something important in there –right? RIGHT?!

I stumbled upon something I had put in the back of my mind – Hadassah, one of our readers had posted a very cool 200th Anniversary for Coats & Clark’s thread timeline!

It’s awesome. Seriously.

200 YEARS!

For instance --- Did you know?

The story of the cotton thread industry began in the town of Paisley, Scotland where weavers had begun to reproduce the rare Kashmir shawls of India at greatly reduced prices. Napoléon's blockade of Great Britain stopped imported supplies, including silk, which was necessary for the shawl industry in Paisley.

Wow!

coats1

Look! Shiny Pictures!

Color!

Pretty!!! :cD

:::Insert distracted glazed over glare:::

I really should be packing but ----I can’t resist this…

Here – go check it out for YOURSELF HERE! It’s very cool. Really.

Back to it!

5 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I have a J & P Coats wooden sewing box. It's probably almost 100 years old. It belonged to my great-grandmother, my grandmother, my aunt and now me ;) :) I'm thinking it used to hold spools of their thread in a shop in it's original life ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. shiny pictures? are you talking about silkies? I am not an avid crazy quilter mind you, but I have used these for that purpose and many others have as well...I knew these threads were old, certainly not 200 years--cant tell ya when J&P Coats merged with Clark...but now they sponsor- or *own* red heart yarns, too! most now manufactured abroad :-( *Carole*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:48 PM EST

    That was a very interesting tour Bonnie, thanks for sharing. Happy travels Sunday.
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really don't sound to enthused to pack...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:29 AM EDT

    hi Bonnie, thanks for books you sent a couple of weeks ago to Johnstone in Scotland. This is next town to Paisley and my kid goes to school in Paisley. We still have the mills some of which have been turned into flats. The Coats memorial church in Paisley is absolutely glorious, you must come and vist. By the way be yourself. You are fine. crlwilkie@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)