>>>>

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Calling Doctor ----- WHO!?

Wanda brought some show and tell to class on Thursday --- and I made her bring it back to the next class on Friday, because her quilt is SO NEAT!

Wanda is also the sweet gal who gifted me with the neat seam ripper/tweezer combo the other day --- love love love it!

She is an admittedly avid Dr Who fan ---and I have to admit that I’m pretty clueless about that show, though quite a few friends are into that one ---and then the OTHER half of my friends are into the Downton Abbey series, and I just don’t have a whole lot of time to keep up with anything so I’m stuck in reruns of NCIS and CSI ---

Wanda even explained how the blue of the borders represents the color of the TIME MACHINE.

TIME MACHINE?! Man, I am SO out of the loop!

When I first read the saying on her quilt, I thought she was talking about Dr. Seuss! --- didn’t he just have a birthday? LOL!

Dr Suess, Dr No, Dr Who --- Calling Dr Love! ((Okay, now get THAT song out of your head, am I showing my age yet?!)) And how about Dr Doolittle? :cD I'd like to travel with Dr Doolittle in my dreams come to think of it!

glendaleCA2012 078

I love how the uniformity of the light sashings between the small crumb blocks adds some unity to the chaotic piecing. Her fabrics were so fun to look at --- little bits of everything!

glendaleCA2012 077

And didn’t she do a great job on her Word Play letters? ((Tonya I hope you are catching this post!))

Can you see the quilting in the border? It’s perfect ---she used an edge to edge design called “circuit board” FUN!

If you haven’t picked up a copy of Word Play Quilts yet ---and you want to learn how to do the lettering, I have copies available HERE. I love what adding words to a quilt does ---don’t you?

Thanks for sharing your quilt, Wanda! Love it to pieces and back!

22 comments:

  1. What a cute gal AND cute quilt!

    I DVR Winnie the Pooh and Barney to watch with the Grandkids...that is how far behind I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:22 PM EDT

    awesome! and I reallly like the quilting itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie you need to watch some Dr Who & Downton Abbey they are both great. I love NCIS too but you can't watch only re-runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this on so many levels!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame on me! I have that book and need to give it a try. I want to make a border on a tilted Log Cabin quilt that I am gifting to my great doctor. He has a dragster and the # is 28...need to get that on the border you know!!!!
    XOXOOXXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually the blue represents the Tardis...a time machine plus! Awesome quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    Cheery wave from
    Bev
    http://44thstreetfabric.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently started watching the British series MI-5 on Netflix. It's a very edgy NCIS. And it's been on the air since 2002 so I have lost of episodes to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TARDIS = Time and Relative Dimensions in Space. And it looks like an English Police Box (hence the blue). The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey (not sure I spelled that correctly). His last known companion was Amy (Amanda) Pond and her husband Rory. He eventually marries(ed) River Song who was actually Amanda & Rory's daughter, Melody Pond (he's a Time Lord, get it?) This is a little backgound for those who don't have a clue about The Doctor.

    Liri

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun quilt! Have only watched Dr. Who once and have never seen Downton Abbey or CSI or NCIS, rerun or otherwise--and you think YOU are out of the loop! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Doctor - excellent programme for big and little kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr Who has been around since the 70s, maybe even before. To a lot of original Doctor fans, Tom Baker is still the ONLY doctor, but I Love the newer doctor. The quilt is higgledy piggledy just like the doctors life. The colours are perfect & not a dahlek in sight. I love it!! Well done. David Tennant would love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew of Dr. Who but have learned more about him only recently, when a friend of mine, whose teen-aged son is a devoted 'Whovian', asked me to knit a Dr. Who Scarf for said son's upcoming (September) birthday. There are a couple of Ravelry (that's a knitting forum) groups devoted to Dr. Who and his scarf/scarves. The one I'm making is here: http://doctorwhoscarf.com/ P.S. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woohoo, love love love it! I've become a complete Whovian over the last year and a half, so I really appreciate this quilt now, more than ever. Excellent job, Wanda. And Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie... not even Downton Abbey? sad for you. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sally Norton7:42 PM EDT

    I love this quilt!!!! Of course I'm a Dr. Who fanatic :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great quilt!! I have no idea what/who Dr Who is and everybody's raving about Abbey and I have no clue. I have a hard time sitting and watching TV!! Too many other fun things to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol in Delaware9:37 PM EDT

    Love the Quilt my Son is a Dr Who fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you Bonnie - I love all things NCIS, CSI, and have not a clue about Dr Who or Abbey...although I might have to check into Abbey soon!
    NCIS reruns are perfect to watch and stitch with - doesn't matter when you run in and out for something, you can still hear it and know what's going on...if you've seen them all a million times like I have...love Mark Harmon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it too good luck always of keeping doctors on dreams

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a Whovian and LOVE the Quilt!! Awesome! Now I need a Dr. Who Quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love wordy quilts, crumb blocks and "the doctor." Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doctor Who has been around since November 1963. In fact, the program debut was on the same day as the Kennedy assassination. Many actors have played the Doctor, and he has had many Companions. But the one constant has been the blue Tardis.

    Now somebody needs to quilt a Dalek... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Dr. Who and Downton Abbey. Wonder if that means I have split personality? You can watch Dr. Who or Downton Abbey season one on Netflix or Amazon Prime Videos for free. I did pay for season two of Downton Abbey on Amazon, couldn't wait for free. I do like the new Dr. Better than the old JMHO.

    Love that quilt!! I may have to do that sometime. Got to do Batman something for my DSIL first.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)