>>>>

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

In Search of Barbie!

Just in CASE I needed ANY justification, or pushing, or prodding, or camaraderie or encouragement ---- LOTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT ---

Imagine me, setting my last post live right before heading out the door to the chiropractor --- yes the crazy one who has contests every EVERY holiday! ((No, I did not win on the count for the St Paddy’s day coins….but there is hope that I can guess the peeps, or malted milk eggs, or some such thing for Easter! I will HAVE my chance!)) and coming out to my car after my adjustment --- checking my phone…to see there are TWENTY comments saying “GO. GET. BARBIE. NOW!”

Well okay then! The hoard must be obeyed!

So, being the cautious think-it-through type person that I am, I called the Antique Mall, just to be sure the machine was still there. The answer was “YES” and I put the GPS on “previous destination” ((Isn’t that thing WONDERFUL!?)) and headed out 80 some miles to Go. Get. Barbie.

Did I think to ask them to plug it in and see if it worked before I drove 80 some miles? Nope! We hadn’t plugged her in after finding Marilyn yesterday so I kept my fingers crossed that all would be well ---

And so off I went --- of course DH calls when I am only part way there, and he, being the smart guy that he is can TELL that I am on blue tooth speaker phone in the car ---- and asks…”WHERE are you going?!”

Well ---I told him, that I needed anothermachinethatwascheaperthananewgolfclub and that I would see him after a while. Is it possible to actually HEAR an eye roll over the blue tooth speaker phone? If so --- that explains that sound I heard coming from the other end when there were NO WORDS coming through.

belmontnc2012 003

I got there about 4pm. I walked in, told them who I was, that I was after the “pink machine” that they were holding for me. She was still where we left her – in the basement. I asked the clerk if I could plug her in before we hauled her 40+lbs up the stairs to the register. We found an outlet. I took a breath, held it…and pushed down the foot pedal…..HUMMMMMMMMM!! WHiiiiiirrrrrr!!!!!! She runs great! I did a quick once over ---- bobbin and case? Check! Foot pedal? check…and even a bonus:

belmontnc2012 051

Some very cool old Boye needle cases -----

I was out of that shop by 4:15 and not wanting to deal with Charlotte rush hour traffic – decided to walk around town……I took pictures of houses I fell in love with the day before --- Pictures of blooming trees, and oh --- it was a lovely afternoon! I think I”ll save those pics for tomorrow. There is a quilt needing binding waiting for me on the couch upstairs….

belmontnc2012 049

These old cases are nothing much to speak of. Usually they are pretty grungy, and look like they’ve seen better days. The paper or whatever it is they cover the wood case with is wearing through and coming off. Why did they not just leave these plain old wood??

belmontnc2012 050

I took the lid off to show DH just what was worth driving 160 miles round trip for ----he got a very glazed over look in his eyes. “It’s Pink” he said. “It’s PINK!!” I said.

belmontnc2012 053

I moved her over to the kitchen counter to do a clean up with a damp rag. The light in the kitchen ALWAYS turns things yellow, so she doesn’t look “AS” pink here….but she is a very clean little machine! I was curious to see if she ALSO was stamped “Toyota” on her undercarriage ---

belmontnc2012 054

NOPE! But I do have a serial number and it says Guaranteed by The Manufacturer and Authorized Dealers EVERYWHERE!

Made In Japan

Is it possible that I already feel like I’m cheating on Marilyn?!

One thing also I’m giddy over – both of their lights work! Both machines are so clean, they must have been serviced at least somewhat recently ---I haven’t sewn on Barbie yet --- I”ll leave that for tomorrow. My hotrod featherweight is going to have to go in to the shop to see why I can not keep a bulb lit in her. I’m dreading that because rewiring could end up being a spendy procedure – But I’m planning on taking the featherweight with me to Iowa on Friday ---which means --- in the next couple days I’ve gotta get the borders for Florabunda kitted up and ready to go with me.

Oh, before I forget --- some of you have asked about the wooden extension table I’ve got for my vintage machines. I actually bought them several years ago from a man who had a business on ebay and is now nowhere to be found. I heard he isn’t making them anymore --- so I can’t help you there. Wish I could! I’ve bought them in 2 sizes…one that fits the standard Singer class 15 models ((Like my Wizard, and like Marilyn)) and one that fits my Singer Spartan and the 99’s --- which are smaller 3/4 size machines. I’d love to find someone who also makes them because I’d like a couple more. If I find out anything I’ll post it so you know.

And I’m rambling…..so I’ll send this now and go hand stitch something to calm me down from all this excitement! Two vintage machine acquisitions in two days? Next time I'll just buy them both at once and justify it by saying I'm saving the extra gas from having to drive twice, right?!

37 comments:

  1. Can't you bring "Barbie" as your carry on Friday? I'd like to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 years ago my Featherweight was having the same problem, and the man who owned M&M Sewing in Gallup, NM pulled out the bulb and showed me how the little bumps at the base of the bulb were much smaller than the bumps on the ones he put in the machines. He said the bulbs were often sold as being the same, but they weren't. I could see and feel the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting Barbie and hope she is happy in her new home. Is she also a Morse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:58 PM EDT

    YEAH!!! You did it! Now I can go buy the featherweight plus! Have you ever heard of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:55 PM EDT

      Are you referring to the portable Singer Featherweight Plus? If so, I have one and have had it for over ten years and LOVE IT!!!
      Has a handle and zig-zag stitching. Not one problem with it, ever!

      Delete
  6. My DH said he could probley make them. Can you send me some pictures and dimensions and let him give it a try. He does woodworking as his hobby. He likes to build birdhouses so I'm sure he could do this.

    Sandy in TN
    http://sandybeachsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee!! Barbie has a good home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:05 PM EDT

    Your DH should be happy because you're happy! Tell him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! you sure find some really neat machines. I am going to have to start looking around my home town for one of these gems! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:10 PM EDT

    Good for you Bonnie. They are very purdy! lol
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:25 PM EDT

    Check EBay for the extension tables, ladies. There are a couple of advertisers on there that are making them to fit your machines. Speaking of EBay.....I snagged a Singer 301 and a Featherweight on there. Although I like the 1949 Featherweight because of it being so much lighter, I think the 301 is my favorite of the two. No, I didn't get one of the original, valuable anniversary editions of the 301....I got the year after. But, I like it, even though it isn't as shiny as the Featherweight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alberta Diane10:31 PM EDT

    I'm so glad that marilyn and Barbie have a good home. Congrats to the new owner. I'd like to find a treasure like that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the auto supply stores they sell small packets of "bulb grease". Cost is just over a dollar.
    Try spreading just a bit on the base of your bulb and then put it back in. It lubricates the possibly oxidized metal socket parts and allows the current to flow better. Worth a try anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh a girl can NEVER have too many machines!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Bonnie-I am tickled "pink" for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you just seemed to be rambling because you were so giddy about your "new" old machine. You have our permission to ramble to your heart's content

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading the saga of Marilyn and Barbie! I love that you name them too! Very entertaining reading, and congrats on two wonderful purchases! I hope I get lucky when we go antiqueing on the Oregon coast this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder what we 'all' can talk you into next? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. What a pretty new girl! Congrats. I am wondering if when you fly with your Featherweight, do you check her in or carry her on? How does it go when she runs through security? Any problems? I'm flying on Friday for a 3 day work conference and I'd love to take my Featherweight along so I'd have something to do in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought my Featherweight in Oregon last May, I hand carried her back as my carry on (she was in her case), I didn't have any problems. I would never send one through checked baggage. I just told them before they scanned her what she was, they didn't even open the case to look.

      Delete
  20. OOOhhh I want a barbie machine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the case looks very much like the old machine I found at a yard sale 3 weeks or so ago. But mine is a Singer from 1916 made in Russia and she is GREEN. Singer Co. wants pictures of her. Kinda like a plastic (sort of) grassy coated paper on there that does peel off-lol. CONGRATS Bonnie Oh yes I did try mine before I bought her for 15.00 and she hums like a top! straight sew machine
    and is missing a partial top plate, but she sews and weighs about 40 pounds too

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew you'd get her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, how many machines do you actually own. Just wondering. My hubby thinks I have too many at 1 hand, 1 feather weight, 1 regular and 1 over locker!!

      Delete
  23. She's a beauty. Two new machines to play with. You must giddy with excitement. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow I think if there is anybody on this planet that can hear eyes roll over the phone, it would be you...

    Looks like you got two very nice machines.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome to the new addition! To compete the period set, you need to find another toy machine and call it "Gidget"! Unless of ,you already have one named that in your toy machine collection (your post on those didn't name names).

    I think one of the quilt museums needs to do an antique machine exhibit. Yours can be the Joanna Rose-style collection of vintage machines!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bonnie, I have a question. How do you know which "older" machine are any good? Just wondering if there has been a certain brand more than another that you tend to take home?
    djcogdill@q.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bonnie, you know, the UPS man is going to be dropping of some new golf paraphernalia next week. Or, maybe a new car? :p Men LOVE an excuse to get to go shopping.
    BTW I saw a pretty BLUE Ken waiting for you on ebay. Don't you think Barbie would love to have her man? OH! No, you could tell hubby that one is for HIM, since he looked like he felt left out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another thought (I'm an over-thinker, drives me nuts when I try to sleep, ugggg)

    You could maybe use those antique machines for props in one of your books. ?? I suppose there would be some issues with copyright? Or maybe they are old enough it wouldn't?? Iuno, sounded like a good reason to buy more of them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am SO glad to know I am not the only vintage sewing machine junkie out there! WOOHOO! You GO girl! Barbie is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looking forward to meeting you next week in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bonnie, I think I know the answer to your featherweight light bulb problem. I've had it too. The bulbs are not built to fit and need a drop of solder added to the connections. The metal connection is just in the right spot that the connection on the bulb can't push it out of the way and seat well. I managed to wedge my bulb in before I figured that out, but next time I have to replace it, will add a drop of solder to each of the connectors on the bottom of the bulb so that when it goes in, it depresses the metal pieces that it needs to rest on. That way, the bulb can turn without hitting the metal pieces and stopping. Probably doesn't make sense, but there's a guy with an article about it on the web and he explains it better. Let me know if you need a link and I'll hunt it down. Lane

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)