You JUST might be a Quilter if …..You find yourself in a bind on a Regular Basis!
And I hope you do!
We all have our own ways to do things the way they work for us, and occasionally I come across a different method. More than one way to skin a cat, right?
Mary, of the infamous Best Seam Guide Ever and the Cutest Beaded Stilletos Ever was telling me about the way she measures her binding ends to join them on the bias when she has sewn all the way around her quilt.
You can find the way I do mine HERE, which is very similar, but different, if you know what I mean!
TRY ALL THE WAYS there are to do anything…you just may find a way that fits you better than any other!
Here is Mary’s method…
The blue end is the binding beginning..and the pink end is the binding END you are joining!
1. Square off both ends.
2. Turn down one corner making a 45 degree angle. Make sure the
edges align and it makes a sharp point. Press.
3. Open the fold and draw a line along the fold line. Refold.
4. Press the entire length of the binding in half lengthwise.
5. Beginning with the 45 deg. fold end, apply binding leaving 6-8 inches free at the beginning end. Continue to sew the binding to the quilt as you normally would until you are 12-15 inches from where you began stitching. Now it is time to join the ends with no measuring.
6. Overlap the straight end (pink) over the 45 deg end (blue). Pull slightly on both ends so they are snug, not loose.
7. Fold excess pink binding back so it is even with the edge of the blue binding. Finger press the fold.
8. Cut the pink binding on the fold.
9. Place the pink binding back on the blue
10. Carefully, open the pink binding keeping the left edges even with the blue edges.
11. The blue and pink ends will be perpendicular to each other. Turn over so the blue binding with the drawn line is facing up. Pin across the line at the beginning.
12. Stitch on the line. Trim to 1/4 inch. Finger press the seam open.
15. Fold the binding in half, and you can now sew it to the quilt.
Click HERE for a printer friendly PDF of Mary’s method of joining binding ends!
Thanks for sharing, Mary!
Remember…Quilt Cam – 9PM Eastern tonight! That’s in 3 hours from now…get that project ready!