>>>>

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Princess Crown! Free Pattern!

Click Here for Printer-Friendly Version!

I have had this on the drawing board for a long time ---waiting a certain number of months until the copyright reverts back to me so that I can post it here for you!

If you’ve followed along on my journeys over the past year, you’ll remember that it was suggested to me by DH that “We make a baby quilt” ((Emphasis on the word WE – uhhuh!)) for our friends Michael and Harriet and for Baby Michelle that was soon on the way. It quickly became a global project with African fabrics being gifted to me from all over the world.

I wrote more about it HERE and more HERE.

These blocks were so fast and so fun, that an extra block from this quilt went to Quiltmaker for my Addicted to Scraps Column. You can see the layout they did with it HERE.

I’ve had a lot of requests for the pattern as I did it, and I explained that I needed to wait a certain amount of time before posting it --- and here we are!

This quilt requires 25 Princess Crown blocks measuring 6” finished. The blocks are completely made from my 2” strip bins, with the addition of a 3.5” square for the center. I used my easy angle ruler along with the companion angle ruler and the 2” strips to make the flying geese unit in this block, but you can use any method that gives you flying geese units that finish at 1.5” X 3” in the block.

princesscrown 007

For each block cut:

1- 3.5” center square

4- 2” corner squares

8 half square “Wing” triangles cut from background fabric using 2” strips and the 2” marking on the easy angle ruler.

4 quarter square triangles cut from the color of your choice using 2” strips and the 2” marking down the center of the companion angle ruler.

Cutting Large “Goose” Triangles:

princesscrown 006

I prefer to cut through 2 to 4 layers of fabric, no more, no less! 2 layers seem to adhere to each other and keeps things from shifting LESS than if you were cutting through just one layer. Try it! Using the 2” line that is marked on the center of the ruler, cut 4 goose triangles from a 2” strip.

If you are not using the Companion Angle Ruler, you can do this by cutting a 4-1/4” square, and then slicing it on both diagonals with an X to give you the 4 triangles required. I don’t keep 4-1/4” squares readily at hand, and I’d have to cut them from charms or fat quarters – not so convenient! But I “DO” keep 2” strips on hand…it was so easy to pull the strips I needed to cut the pieces for this block!

Cutting Wing Triangles:

princesscrown 004 princesscrown 005

Sometimes when using this ruler I go out of my way to AVOID cutting pieces in mirror image. But when making flying geese units, I WANT my pieces in mirror image so that every cut gives me one right hand wing triangle and one left hand wing triangle. Do the thinking BEFORE cutting – and everything will fit together swimmingly!

To create mirror image, simply fold your strip in half with right sides together. Use the 2” line on the ruler to cut 4 pairs of wing triangles, giving you 4 right hand ones and 4 left! If I were doing this the “Normal” rotary cutting way, I’d have to cut 2-3/8 squares. Not such a common size! I don’t save those. But I do save 2” strips! ALL the pieces for this block came right out of my Scrap User’s System in ready to use sizes.

princesscrown 008

Place your large goose triangles and arrange your right hand and left hand wing triangles as shown. See those notches on top? Those are placement guides! Invaluable for getting a flying goose unit that is flat across the top! If your notch is at the bottom end instead of the top, never fear, you can just use your easy angle ruler to nip off the OTHER corner as well.

princesscrown 009

Take a right hand wing triangle and place it against a goose triangle with right sides together. See how the notches match at the top? I align the bottom and bias edges –the top should already be even. If there is a problem, I take my piece, and my ruler and double check to be sure I cut right ---if I am off anywhere at all, it is usually operator error in the cutting department.

princesscrown 010

Feed all of the pieces through attaching the right hand wing triangles. If you look closely you’ll see my Cheddar Bow-Tie leader/ender at the back end!

princesscrown 012 princesscrown 013

Press the seam out toward the wing triangle just added and snip OFF that dog ear! That is the one thing I am really picky about – dog ears don’t need to be in your patchwork, and can make it hard to know how/where to line things up, and make your seam junctions REALLY bulky and a bear to quilt through. Get them out of there! Now take the left hand wing triangles and put them right sides together with the goose unit, matching the bottom edge and the bias edge. The blunted top of the triangle should be even with the top of the goose unit.

princesscrown 015

Sew all the left hand goose wing triangles into place --- and follow it up with more parts from another cheddar bow-tie! Two projects at once—I love it!

princesscrown 017

Here is what we are looking for! The crucial point!

You need to be sure your seam allowance will give you a 1/4” distance between the top edge of the goose unit and the top of that goose triangle. If it is wider than that, your seam allowance is TOO WIDE and your unit won’t measure 2” X 3.5” before sewing it into the block. If you have LESS than 1/4” here at the top of the goose triangle – your seam may be too skimpy and you will lose the nose of your goose when you sew the blocks into the quilt. Your unit may also measure LARGER than the 2” X 3.5” we are shooting for. Be careful with your cutting, careful with your seaming, and all will turn out right! I took this pic BEFORE snipping the dog ears off…gotta get them off of there!

Block Assembly!

princesscrown 018

I’m a little haphazardly messy and way thready, but this is how we roll around here!

Lay out your units the way they will appear in the block. We are going to chain this together 9-patch fashion. If you can imagine this block has 3 rows across and 3 columns from side to side…

princesscrown 019

Sew the second column to the first column with right sides together. You will notice there are chaining threads left between the rows! Leave those there. Now flip the units in column 3 over onto column 2 ---

princesscrown 020

Chain from row 1 to row 2 and directly onto row 3. Now there is no way that you can get things turned around in the wrong way!

princesscrown 021

Your block now looks like this….3 rows held together by chaining stitches between the rows. Now all you have to do is quickly press your rows to get the seams going the way you want --- I press toward the outer 4 corners and toward the center unpieced square ---and sew the rows together! One block done!

princesscrown 023

1 block completed! Make 25!

Here is a selection of blocks that went into my Princess Crown quilt! Blacks, Whites, Brights, and African fabrics!

babymichelle 010

I had a lot of fun pulling scraps for this quilt. Many of the African fabrics came from my friend Karol-Ann in the UK!

Setting the quilt:

babymichelle 016

I cut 60 2” X 6.5” Rectangles from assorted brights for the sashing pieces. Between them are 36 black-on-white cornerstones cut 2” square. Lay the quilt out as you want the colors to fall, cornerstones, sashing and all.

Join the quilt into rows ((I assemble the whole quilt with the whole top webbed together just as I showed in the block assembly above….think columns and rows and chain, baby, chain!)) Join the rows to complete the quilt center. Press seams toward the sashings.

Inner border: I used a 1.5” strip of several purple fabrics joined on the diagonal for the inner border.

The outer border is a collection of left over fabrics from the block assembly ----what was left of the African fabrics that Karol-Ann had gifted me and some others. I included this special fabric that was also gifted to me by another quilter:

babymichelle 012

It was PERFECT! Michael is from Kenya, and his wife, Harriet, is from Uganda. Michelle is 100% AMERICAN. :c) The Swahili words of love, unity and family brought tears to my friends’ eyes when they received the gifted quilt!

Stitch random 5” wide scraps together end to end until the border is large enough to fit the circumference of the quilt. Cut 4 borders to fit the quilt sides, and four 5" cornerstones for the border corners.

For more info on adding borders to a quilt click HERE.

I quilted the quilt with an edge to edge design called Moon Flower by Keryn Emmerson. I bound the quilt in purple ---washed the quilt to give it that home loved softness, and gifted it to our friends.

101_1382

Is there anything as precious as a sleeping pink bundle on top of her very own quilt?

46 comments:

  1. What a lucky little girl! Your quilt just sings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful baby...beautiful quilt. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt and adorable baby. I'll be making a quilt from this tutorial, thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for showing your quilt ,some lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Bonnie for another fabulous free pattern! I'm sure that your little friend loves her quilt! I need another 6" block for a row quilt I'm doing, I think this will be perfect for my row!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now how could someone complain about something as sweet as this?? Don't let the haters get you down! In the words of our Davey, Cheer up Bonnie Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:04 AM EST

    Beautiful! Thank you for you generosity in sharing, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt, Bonnie! It just makes you smile. Thanks for the tutorial. What a darling little baby, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this - what a nice suprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:20 AM EST

    Yes, yes I remember this posting. Thanks Bonnie for sharing again.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow awesome quilt Bonnie and baby. And thank you for sharing it. I think I want to give this one a whirl.....appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:34 AM EST

    Beautiful quilt as always! Beautiful baby too! Stick to your guns Bonnie- your blog, your words, your choices. No one else should have a say-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing! A question about the rulers: you mention them many times and I'm not sure what to look for. No quilt shop where I live and online not sure what to put in to search. Is that a certain brand or are they made by different companies with different names? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another winner, thank you .
    The little pink bundle is so darling, how old is she now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful little quilt...thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning, Bonnie. Thanks so much for this pattern, especially the explicit instructions on how to use the rulers to cut and sew the flying geese.

    Look forward to reading your blog each morning and additional posts during the day and evening. I particularly enjoyed "watching" you put together this quilt and your Storybook Stars quilt.

    Thank you also for sharing info about free Kindle books; I've downloaded and read lots of them although I'm doing it on a MacBook instead of a Kindle...so nice of Amazon to allow that option.

    Don't let the turkeys get you down! For every one of the nitwits who complains, there are legions of us who are grateful for the incredible amount of time and effort you put into sharing your life with us through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. GORGEOUS. I remember because my 8yo will be getting the animal prints (zebra stripes, fussy cuts, leopard spots, etc.) I've collected made into this. I only have a few blocks made, and more fabrics to collect, but I delight in the play of this with the brights and critters.

    Lucy (in IN)

    ReplyDelete
  18. awwwwwwwwwwwwww seeing the adorable baby was the highlight of my day!

    Oh ya, your quilt was nice too Bonnie, lol Great selection of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you again! You are so willing to share yourself and this is yet another example of your kindness! Beautiful baby and darling quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie, I get to choose the lotto block for our group's retreat this June. This would be perfect. Our online group spans the globe, all with connections to the state of Washington. (In one case, a lady joined with an address in WA and we realized afterwards that her WA was Western Australia. We love her--she is such a character.) Our members love you, too, and I hear a lot of chatter about your mysteries. While a few of us are retreating on site, those who can't make it often will do a lotto as well. Is it okay to use the pattern in this way?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the quilt!! Where can I find the rulers you mentioned in making flying geese? Thanks Anne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful, beautiful colors. I just wish I'd had the cutting instructions sooner. I am making 2(!) quilts using a similar block -- only real difference is a 4-patch instead of a square in the corners. I'm a novice quilter and have been unsure how best to sew the triangles. If only I'd used my flying geese ruler! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember the making of this quilt. Another generous offering of a great pattern! Thanks, Bonnie. : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. In regards to yesterdays blog, write whatever you want, and please keep the kindle free books coming. You are a great source for an amazing amount of fun things. I enjoy seeing and reading all of the things that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Bonnie! I have downloaded the pattern. I'll try to kit at least one for the next community sew day. We make quilts for the local woman's center.

    ReplyDelete
  26. When I 1st saw the pic of the new pattern I thought "I don't like it it has sashings." Yes I was whining but wait. I read on anyway. Bonnie as usual your way of telling how to do things and your methods are so much easier than standard quilting I know I could do this. I love 2 inch strips instead of 2-1/2. Your goosies are so easy. Even sashes look doable--my personal Nemesis. I call way you do things "no rules". It's way I was taught by very precious lady at church quilting group. She said as long as it got you to same place go for it. Pretty much only hard/fast rule is 1/4" seam (I think we may have broken that one too!). Thanks for how easy you make your patterns/tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bonnie -- I was just needing a quilt idea for our granddaughter's first birthday in July. This will do wonderful. Thanks,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sweet baby! Thanks for the pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That block is so cute. I love the bright colors. We just got some brights in at work. BUT I will pull from my strips first.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for a great pattern Bonnie, I happen to have a whole bag of African Fabrics......And a drawer of batiks that is running over...This will be a fun project. I appreciate all you do.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous11:23 AM EST

    What a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing. I now want to swap out all my stash for more colorful fabics.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous11:34 AM EST

    Thank you for AGAIN sharing another wonderful quilt with us.
    ~Jillian in North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful quilt, thanks for sharing! What a sweet photo of the baby on it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, Bonnie. I think the scrappiness is great with this block. Best wishes this spring, Kathie L in Allentown

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous12:29 PM EST

    Thanks for another free pattern. You are very generous. I love your blog and look forward to it each day. Don't change anything about it. Would like to know where to get your rulers.

    Darlis
    darlisj@kinex.net

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the pattern Bonnie! I remember this "WE" baby gift coming together and the fun of you receiving all the African fabrics. The thrill in your words when you received the Swahili words of love, unity and family fabric rushed vividly back to mind. Enjoy your beautiful day...at home! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the great pattern, Bonnie. You are soooo generous with your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the great pattern, Bonnie. You are soooo generous with your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another great pattern. Thank you. You are so generous. Hope you saw my version of story time stars on your Facebook page. I really like your way of doing flying geese. Still working on orca bay in between other projects but really liking how it is coming together. Thanks again
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  40. A huge Thank You! Love you like a rock star! Please keep posting whatever floats your boat. Reading something from you always makes me smile! My words aren't so original today but I'm sincere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Bonnie! Judy drew #8 for the UFO for March and mine just happens to be some Eye Spy blocks I have...might have to get crazy and use some of them with this pattern. As always I love it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful quilt and a beautiful baby! Thank you for sharing another pattern. Does anyone know the name/fabric line on the cheddar bowtie that shows the white horse and horse shoe on a black background? I really like that print. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful baby and quilt! Thank you for sharing the pattern with us!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Bonnie thank you so much for sharing yet another superb pattern with us. I have a nice pile of 2" strips in a drawer begging to be made into one of these. Also i can christen my easy angle ruler. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank-You Bonnie! I do not have a baby in the near future, that I know of... but this is GREAT!!! Thank-you!

    And, just so you know, I have (again!) sent someone to check out your site. She is very new to quilting, and I knew the information you have on here is not only very important to know about, it's also a site that stimulates creativity and holds back fear!! I told her she should start using leader & enders, and told her once on the site, she would learn why!! And how to make her left over fabrics use-able. Thank-you again for helping the new quilter (which is when I found you!!)learn just to relax and have fun - learn to enjoy the process!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous12:01 PM EST

    Thank you so much for giving us such wonderful patterns, how-to's, and tips. I have been a follower of yours for 8 years now. Your ideas continue to inspire me. What would the quilting internet be without my Bonnie!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)