>>>>

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sew Much Fun in Lexington!

Yesterday was our Pineapple Blossom workshop with the Quilters of the Bluegrass in Lexington, KY.

It’s my first visit through this area and I wish I could spend more time---there is so much to see and do.  This place is a GEM ---gorgeous rolling hills, fabulous history and beautiful university campuses!

We had time between yesterday’s workshop and my lecture last night to take a side trip to the University ((Go Wildcats!)) and see the display of antique quilts hanging in the library rotunda.  I took pics, but they were so HIGH UP on the walls that they looked dwarfed in miniature and skewed because I was shooting UP at them.  But I’ll see if any are worth posting later.  If you happen to be coming through Lexington, it’s worth a stop --- I think we paid $2.00 parking for a carful of 4 of us …..50 cents a piece to see the quilts? Priceless!

Our workshop was held at the Fayette County extension center ----AMAZING building, oodles of light and space.  We had 33 quilters, and could have fit 33 more ---it was a fun and relaxing day.  During the morning the sky opened up and we enjoyed an early autumn thunderstorm while we sewed away inside.  It was perfect quilt class weather --- and how fresh and green everything was when the storm stopped.

KY_Sept2012 085

Gorgeous Marigolds!

The property boasts beautiful gardens and is reaching the end of its summer bounty with tomatoes and other veggies in varieties I’ve never seen before.

Here is the slide show of yesterday’s class, I hope you enjoy it!
This afternoon, after our half day Strip Twist workshop I'm heading out on my way to Shepherdsville and the Bluegrass Quilt Festival!  I hope to see many of you there. ;c)

13 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! i thought the Pineapple quilt was much more complicated that that! Seeing it in stages of completion as you have shown it was amazing. I now think I might like to try that. Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember this is her Pineapple Blossom quilt, not the Pineapple Crazy quilt. Both gorgeous, but this one is much more simple and faster with bigger and fewer pieces too. You can do it!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love the slide shows you share with us ... it energizes and inspires me to get into my sewing room and get going. Love to see the different color/fabric combinations that people pick ... some very thought out, others very scrappy and random ... all of them beautiful. Travel safe and enjoy the day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 AM EDT

    I love seeing your slide shows! It makes me want to do every pattern you display--which, of course, is impossible considering all the other patterns I see that I want to make. Very inspiring! Thanks. Pauline Sawatsky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to catch one of your classes while you are here in KY, but unfortunately I have to work! Daggonit!

    On your way back home you should stop in Berea, KY. Appalachian crafts at their best! Beautiful quilts,tapestries, and woodwork. Boone Tavern is an excellent place to stay and is in the center of town.

    Lindsay
    theclumsyquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:27 AM EDT

    I think I see a green "Blue Ridge Beauty" on display in one of the photos, is that yours? or did a student do that? Very striking.. Great slideshow. Thanks for sharing.

    Jessica in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all the different combinations of fabrics. I think I like the scrappier the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also really love your slideshows! ALL of the blocks are beautiful, but those feedsacks really make my heart go pitter patter. I agree with the others, these photos make me realize how doable this quilt is and inspires me to start one! I just need more hours in the day and I'm not working right now! gee... better get off this computer and go sew! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilts in libraries = a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:14 PM EDT

    Ooooooo! Love that red featherweight! Those blocks are so beautiful!
    Kegrny@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joen in Texas2:11 PM EDT

    I too loved the slid show. If I get any more inspiration I will just fly appart.. me trying to do it all.. Loved the pattern and of course want to make one but like I said not another project to start have so many started..hoohummmmm whats a girl to do.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)