>>>>

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Strip Twisting Away!

Half day classes are just fun and relaxing with the main objective being to use the fabric and enjoy each other’s company.

It’s also a good opportunity to talk about things like value, variety and the need for collecting MORE neutrals!

It’s amazing what we discover when we start discussing amongst ourselves where we think we fall SHORT in our stashes……and I’d say hands down that most felt that they didn’t have enough variety in their neutrals and planned on stocking up there ---

Neutrals are ALWAYS a legal purchase for me, and I love finding new and fun ones to include in future quilts.

With the onset of winter not that far off in the future, many of us know that the two simple weather-forecast-words of “WINTERY MIX” mean that we joke about those who flock to the grocery store to stock up on “WHITE STUFF”: Toilet paper, eggs, milk, bread ---and I’d like to add neutral fabrics having the same kind of urgency for any quilt-emergency!  Always be on the look out for neutrals that will work to power up your backgrounds.  There are so many fun ones out there!

I know what I’ll be looking for at the Bluegrass Quilt Festival in Shepherdsville, KY this weekend!

Here’s a few photos from our workshop yesterday morning.  We were a smaller class, about twenty of us, and even stating that it was a half day workshop, these ladies accomplished bushels and  beaucoups!

Some of the ladies were working with 2” strips, and some with 2.5” strips.  Having the variety of sizes there also showed us how different things can be.

Ends of strip sets that were too short to cut squares from were being sub-cut into units for checkerboard borders, 4 patches, or 16 patches ----total fabric fun!


This morning we start the Bluegrass Quilt Festival with a Cathedral Stars workshop…..I was at the show setting up my classroom last afternoon while they were hanging the quilts and I can hardly wait to go back and spend some time! It promises to be a treat!

14 comments:

  1. I love, love, love neutrals ... stash them like crazy. Love shirtings and can't resist picking up bundles of those whenever I see them at a shop or vendor at a quilt show. LOVED the slideshow ... really interesting blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:24 AM EDT

    Thank you, Bonnie, for sharing the photos of the class experience yesterday. I wanted to see more! :) I have completed one Strip Twist and have started a second in an alternate color way. I hope you know how much we all appreciate you sharing your patterns and talent. You have enriched our lives immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun quilts, I have a pretzel bucket full of leftover binding strips, great for this?hmm, i AM looking for a great leaders and enders project again, just finishe my last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:26 AM EDT

    Good morning from Maine,
    Bonnie, I love everything you do, but this slide show really hit home for me. I think I have found my Bonnie niche. Is this from the new book? I will finish my Smith Mountain Morning from the work shop in Florida last winter, but I am really loving what you and the girls did yesterday! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks, like how all the fabrics make the blocks look so different. I never have enough neutrals either. And I never reach for them when I shop. Must change that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!!!I wish I could have come! I'm saving my strips and some what organizing them, can't wait to do a strip quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first "Bonnie Hunter" quilt I ever made was the Strip Twist. Everyone that sees it comments on it. It has the craziest fabrics in it and yet it is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks great..we are trying a similar thing on Monday night..cant wait..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:26 AM EDT

    Bonnie, you're right, neutrals are legal! I never have enough, hardly buy anything less than a yard of each when I buy neutrals because they're just a great stash addition (addiction?). Will be purchasing more tomorrow evening while at class. Thanks so much for validating neutral fabrics! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:30 AM EDT

    Rocking Lexington Ladies!!!! WOWOW, I love what I see. No sedate Southern Belles there lol.

    Neutrals are SO hard to concentrate on when you see the gorgeous lively prints! But boy do I need them. That just might be a good thing to build up...um! lol

    Thanks
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  11. I SO agree on the neutral thing--never enough and always legal! I grab whatever I see in remnant bins and scrap baskets at my LQS, and I purchase a good one whenever I find it, whether I was looking for it or not. It's a no-brainer! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:51 AM EDT

    Love, love, love the strip twist quilt you featured this morning from your Strip Twist Group. That's THE quilt I will need in Feb. when the ice and sorely-cold weather keep us in the house and my mind needs some Spring. I have just the fabric and never thought to use it that way. Love a little freedom in my quilt plans. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I can safely say that I have finally managed to have more neutrals in my stash than any other color. I just LOVE them for my scrappy quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie after studying your quilts up close I realized they were much more interesting than my quilts and the main reason was the wide range of neutrals you use. I was limiting my neutrals to boring tone on tone cream and beiges. Since taking my first workshop from you I've added more interesting prints to my neutrals and am thrilled with how much better my quilts look. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)