>>>>

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Backtrack to Bali ~~

I woke up this morning, a bit late – I stayed up – a bit late ---and realized I didn’t have anything planned for this morning’s post!

What’s a girl to do but go back through the photo archive and pick up where I left off on the Bali Expedition.  I hope you don’t mind ---I realize that not everyone wants to see endless fields of rice paddies, but this trip has had such an effect on me.  And this is after all, my journal space and I have more to share!

We did spend quite a bit of time on a bus.  And for me, the time on the bus was one of the best parts of the trip.  We asked Mawa questions, he explained things.  We talked amongst ourselves and got to know our fellow travelers.  I really started to think of many as friends and am happy to still be in contact with them.

Time on the bus with a view gave me a window into the world of the Balinese and what it is like to live here.  Photos may have a blue cast – that’s normal from a window, but maybe you’ll feel like you are on the bus with me!

bali3 214

As we work our way up into the mountains this day it had been raining.  We only got a few drops, but I loved how the clouds hung on the mountains and the sky was reflected in the water of the paddies.

bali3 212

It’s a world away!

bali3 219

And I am captivated!

bali3 220

And just for fun…here I am working on hexies on the bus!  I had traded American dollars with rupiah with another traveler ---and was entertained by how much they MATCH the colors of my hexies!

Rupiah are a bit confusing.  Way too many zeros.  But what I have here in my lap is the equivalent of about $50.00 US.

bali3 250

We are on our way to enter a palace. This is a Sarong Day.

bali3 251

Even the statues comply!

bali3 256

Yes, I like catching action from behind!

bali3 257

Artwork enchants me.  The panels on the column as much as the statue with the sarong and parasol.  I have new found delight in black and white check!

bali3 259

I wish I knew the stories that go with the mythical characters.  This guy has a bow…..not sure where his arrows are!  But see how the tree is wrapped as well?

bali3 260

The grounds are beautiful!  Mawa explained to us that the ceramic tile roof dates back to the Dutch occupation of Bali starting in the 1500s.  Many Dutch influences are still seen today in Bali.

bali3 261

Gardens.

bali3 265

Palace doors.

When we hear the word “PALACE” we are thinking of Cinderella or Buckingham.  This wasn’t like that.  Balinese live in compounds --- where each living area is a separate building connected by a courtyard.  But the artwork in this door is incredible and extremely royal!

bali3 266

hand carved and painted wood.  Look at the detail and colors!

bali3 268

Inside the former King’s living quarters were decorations for the upcoming Garungan Day holiday!  These are made of palm leaves.

bali3 269

An altar in remembrance hangs above the bust of the former king, offerings adorning the table top as well as the shrine itself.

bali3 270

The sleeping quarters of the former king.

bali3 271

The palace roofline was really interesting!  See the black/white check insets and the black white “egg” shaped thing with the spire? And the influence of the Dutch in the clay roof tiles.

bali3 273

Artisan detail everywhere! I’m sure this carved stone panel has a story to tell, I wish I knew what it was!

bali3 275

A side shrine on the property.

bali3 277

Reflecting pool.

bali3 278

And here we all are!

bali3 279

I loved the detail in the wood railings behind me too – and that blue color – LOVE LOVE LOVE!
((And yes, it was a hot and unbelieveably humid day!))

Thanks for indulging my need to put all these photos into the blog and not just storing them on the computer ----
As for the rest of my day, I better get busy with it!
Happy Thursday, Everyone!

27 comments:

  1. Good Morning!

    I enjoyed your quilting cam last night... I pick up little tips now and then when listening to you.

    When I looked the money / Rupiah, All I saw was 100,000 dollars!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:06 AM EDT

    Oh Bonnie I have really enjoyed reading about your travels to Bali and all the pics you have posted. I do have one question and hope you can answer. The group pic above I would like to know the ladies name in the center row above you in the, what looks like a green shirt right of the white shirt. She so looks like a lady that use to live in Indiana and belonged to "Hot Quilt Babes". Thank you and glad to see you're still posting Bali pics.

    Brenda M in Indiana
    brendamm6435@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never apologize for sharing pictures from a trip of a lifetime. I am so grateful to be able to "tag along" ... it has been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I really enjoy the pictures. We have been researching the area. I do not understand how they can do such beautiful carving on concrete. Shirley sbartee@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! They are very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:41 AM EDT

    I don't mind you sharing. Feels almost like I was along, love that. A while ago you asked about places to eat. When you are in Lansing, Michigan, try "Fork in the Road". Artison food all grown locally. Can't wait to take your class. Jackie Beard

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving every minute of your Bali tour......I wanted to go so badly! Now I almost feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan (UK)11:27 AM EDT

    Were you, as a group, 'advised' to wear a sarong to certain places?

    You all look very swish in them, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. I like the railing too. Looks like a quilt.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding?! Tired of Bali photos? Not me! Such a gorgeous country!I love taking virtual trips with my bloggy friends - I learn so much and it feels like a mini vacation, except when I close the laptop, the dishes are still waiting to be washed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And thanks for indulging my desire to to travel to far off places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking us along to your journey to a beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for showing us more Bali pictures. The carvings are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for sharing your journey. watched "South Pacific" the other night while I was hand quilting. One of my favorite movies. You notice I said one. Also watched "Mrs. Mike" got to be my favorite all time book and movie. Again, my hubby was away so I watched "Many Rivers to Cross". a favorite since childhood. Also love the movie "Somewhere in Time", my son bought the book and the movie for me. Did you ever see the "Lake House" another time travel wonderful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy every bit of the trip that you share with us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll never get tired of these pictures! Some of us will only get there through your experience. Thanks for wanting to share!

    Ann Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:38 PM EDT

    WHENEVER WE CAN EXPAND OUR UNDERSTANDING AND APPREICATION OF OTHER PEOPLES AND THE CULTURES THEY HAVE - THE BETTER WE ARE, AND THE WORLD IS. (opppppps CAPS SORRY)

    I am enjoying your Bali trip as you share your adventure with all of us. THANKS for including we Hunter-ites on your journey ;)
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's definitely ok with me to keep on showing Bali photos. It's about as close to Bali as I will ever be. I'm enjoying them immensely. I'm just a little bit jealous of your sarong days. Looks so elegant and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you are still showing us Bali, I only wish I had been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. I really love the group photo and the one of you. What wonderful memories for you to carry...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:42 PM EDT

    keep the phots coming---they are great!!!!!
    sue/Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing. The landscapes are worth viewing often for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11:31 PM EDT

    I love seeing the Bali photos and hearing about your trip. Show us more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't know if anyone else saw quilting possibilities in the pics, but the doors on the palace jumped out at me as possible applique patterns. Then the railings could be a pieced design. Love all of it, Bonnie, even the rice paddies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sharron Walls8:38 AM EDT

    Bonnie,
    I was there, and yet by reading your blogs and seeing your pictures about our trip I'm picking up on so much more than I could absorb at the time. Thanks for your excellent photography and astute observations! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous6:54 PM EDT

    I love your photos. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Dian

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)