>>>>

Monday, September 17, 2012

Tulip Fields in North Manchester!

Yesterday was our very busy very boisterous and fun Tulip Fields workshop!

We were all gathered in the lovely student union building of Manchester University ---what a lgorgeous campus!

September is such a beautiful month to be in the midwest. The days are cool in the morning, the afternoon temps are perfect and the evening still lingers ---the only thing better would have been to have our class OUTSIDE! – but our room was so big and well lit, we were happy to be in.

Our biggest worry was that 46 quilters would surely trip the breakers----but we didn’t! Not even once!

No one tripped over the cords on the floor either, though I did find my feet just about tangled up in them a couple of of times --- if anyone is capable of NOT being graceful, that would be….ME.

I am always on the look out for some fun vintage loveless to share with you…..Do you see this lovely chrome and black iron? I’ve seen these ones before on antique jaunts, and they always intrigued me because they are shaped like a blimp –you can’t rest them on their ends…..they have a flat sole plate, no vent holes..and are HEAVY!

Indiana_Sept2012 045

The back end is the same shape as the front end!

Indiana_Sept2012 046

The thing I loved about this one --- the red bakelite knob! It not only tells you the setting in those cool wavy labels --- but it tells you what the temp is. This puppy gets up to 550 degrees! Notice that the cotton setting is between 400 and 450. It has little “wings” on its sides…and you simply lay it on its sides to rest it…VERY cool old iron! I may have to be on the look out for one of these. It’s a General Electric –or was that General Mills? Something Generally General!

Indiana_Sept2012 047

Another cool beans machine!

One of our gals brought her old green viking to class. This machine is THE. BOMB! She told me I’d met this machine before, when I was up in Indiana about 3 years ago ---look at the stylized ‘Husqvarna” behind the word Viking! I believe it’s an early 1960s model. Gosh I love the oldies but goodies!

Indiana_Sept2012 054

There were some Newbies but Goodies too!

This was Subee’s hot rod seam ripper. It’s a gingher ---and the weight of this feels really good in my hand. I can only do “SOME” kinds of picking out with these kind of scalpel blades. Most often I fear I’m going to slice the fabric –but there are times when it is just what I need to get the job done. I may have to find one of these!

We sewed and sewed and sewed until we dropped. I hope you enjoy the pics!

After a yummy Mexican dinner we headed back over to the college for the evening lecture and trunkshow --- a Very full day which will be repeated today!

As this posts – I’m already on my way to Goshen, about an hour and 15 minutes drive away to spend the day with a crumbs workshop and a lecture there tonight. After the lecture we’ll pack it all back up and drive me BACK to North Manchester – it’s going to be a long long day!

But I’m in good company ---and I have a feeling there will be hexie-stitchin’ in the car!

It’s a MONDAY – first day of a brand new week ---Mondays are a clean, fresh slate. What will you do with yours?

12 comments:

  1. Looks like LOADS of FUN!~~~ I'm sewing my QOV quilts and blocks and strip sets to bring up to Taccoa, GA soon to that retreat. Can't WAIT!~~
    Ask Siobhan if she enjoyed Cumberland, when you next talk to her. She was going there the day after Aiken and I keep forgetting to ask. That is where we have the house that I was telling you about. I feared it would still be too hot and the ticks would eat her up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW!!!!! I loved that slide show! I was 'shopping' at Jackman's Fabrics in Fairview Hgts Illinois this w/e Bought Some Absolutley Beautiful fabric that is so soft it could be flannel! It will be the backing on the "Jared Takes A Wife" quilt that I'm STILL making from the Workshop in June. I'm hoping to get the Quilt all squared up and start sewwing rows together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at those Husqvarna/Vikings. They usually come in the sweetest suitcase, lined in plaid. Looks like those ladies had a great time and look at all of the pretty blocks they made?! L in MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, the iron is made by General Mills. I thought that was so weird, makes me think of Cheerios, who knew they made irons at some point? Thx for the great day yesterday, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy seeing the slideshows from your workshops. I almost always see fabrics that I have in my own stash.
    My DIL pulled an old blue "General" sewing machine from a recycling bin thinking I might want it. I haven't been able to find out much about it. The foot pedal is missing and she says the needle won't go up and down. It is in Boston and I am in Alabama. I am trying to decide if it is worth keeping until one of us makes a road trip. Shipping would be out of the question and I doubt it would go as a carry-on, even if I could lift it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the old iron--no steam holes, high heat and a little heft to it. That is what I want in an iron. Mom had one similar to this, but it died two months ago. Haven't been able to replace it with anything satisfactory.
    What a cool old Viking! Very classy!
    Another great slideshow, Bonnie. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:49 PM EDT

    Vermont Country store has a "dry" iron, no vent holes. Found one there a few years ago. Love it! MN Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:50 PM EDT

    I love the fact that everyone's name tag is a Hexie! Joy in AK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, I have always wanted that type of iron. Thanks for the info. Now one is headding my way. Don't know if I should thank you or not!!! vbg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you get a chance to visit the Shipshewana area. You're SO close!!! Love love love Lolly's quilt shop there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I use the Gingher ergonomic seam ripper and it's the best! Feels very comfortable in my hand and I've yet to cut into the fabric with the rounded end scalpel blade. Didn't it have a nice feel and balance in your hand when you held it? I love mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The iron says "General Mills," who knew they made irons? I learned to iron on one like this when I was a little girl. Don't know whatever happened to that one, but when I found this at an antique mall I HAD to have it. It works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)