>>>>

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Losing my Mind ---

Remember when I said we’d do QuiltCam on Sunday around 2pm?

Guess where I’ll be at Sunday around 2pm?  DRIVING TO PENNSYLVANIA! 

I looked at the calendar wrong – or more like, I looked at the calendar telling me that I have a speaking engagement on the 8th ---but I can’t drive all day on the 8th and be coherent for a 7pm lecture.  Which means – I’m driving the 7th!

So --- can I interest you all in QuiltCam on Saturday afternoon about 2pm Eastern time?  I should have the van all packed and ready by then and we should be good to go, just one day earlier than I planned.  I’ll draw for the winner of the Quiltmaker Magazine issue too, on Saturday afternoon.

This last drive home my maintenance light came on, so I've got an appointment for an oil change and tire rotation on Thursday morning.  The big question is – do I take hexies and finish that last 12….or take a the Nearly Insane and FINISH THAT BINDING!? I hauled it all the way to Kentucky and didn’t do a stitch by hand there. 

And since blog posts without photos are not that interesting, here is a VERY cute and quick project shown at class at the Bluegrass Quilt Festival!

Kentucky_Sept2012 285

It looks like an ordinary shirt cuff, doesn’t it??

Kentucky_Sept2012 286

The raw edges on the upper edge where the shirt was cut off are turned in and stitched..then the whole thing folded over and topstitched…leaving the buttons and button hole free, and turning the cuff into a little pocket-case for “small stuff”  It’s perfect for a stack of business cards, or small notions.  It’s CUTE as can be!  You can decorate this up too, if you want.  With Christmas coming, it would be fun to whip up some of these, stick a pack of needles inside,maybe a small pair of scissors and hand them to friends as gifts!

I just thought this was so cute…

Today I’m hoping to get Dirty Dagny clean and shiny.  I’ve also got a binding to go on another quilt destined for Quiltmaker – I finished the machine quilting on it last night, but you know – it’s one of those things that I can’t show you right now.  I made good progress though, and I know you are going to LOVE it.  Be watching in the spring!

Have a great Wednesday, Everyone!

32 comments:

  1. What a great way to use shirt cuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweden will definitely be representet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea for using the shirt cuff!! Would also make a neat table favor at a retreat. MMMMMMM ideas are mounting up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea....I know where there are some nice shirts!!!! Went looking for Quiltmaker mag in Melbourne (Aust) but couldn't find it...I'll now look online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bonnie!
    When you clean one of your machines, what do you use on the main body to shine it up? I took a class to clean the workings of my featherweight but they didn't tell us how to shine the outside!
    Thanks!
    Meg in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I was cleaning my featherweight, I used too much oil, it was all over the bed of the machine. BUT in wiping off the oil it made the whole thing very shiney! I've also heard of using Johnson's Paste Wax. But the oil was there and it worked, w a Bounty papertowel. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  7. what a cute Idea! I love the shirt cuff idea. I wish I had original ideas! Poor Dagny! or I should say Lucky Dagny finding a home that is caring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shirt cuff is adorable. All the hard work is already done. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever idea for the shirt cuff ... might have to make a few for Christmas grab bags at my guild Holiday dinner .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:18 AM EDT

    It doesn't surprise ma t all that you lost track of days or time lol. With your schedule, I would need a KEEPER lol. Heck I probably need one now without your schedule.

    Did you think up that cute pocket idea made from a cuff!? Cute stuff. Now, perhaps maybe could you, whip up something to hold credit cards, a bit of cash etc, for taking to quilt shows etc, that leave your hands free ... and money etc safe? Thinking here ....

    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having the girls over for sewing Saturday and we will make room for one more! Looking forward to Quilt cam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I can actually tune in on Saturday. Your error benefits mee!! So excited, I haven't been able to join you yet. Jeanne in CT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a gift card might fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen those cuff pouches before and love them. By the time my husband is ready to give up a shirt, his cuffs are pretty ragged.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bonnie, not a problem for Saturday! We can't have you transmitting and driving all at the same time!! How clever those cuff pouches. I knew they would come in handy for something. What can we do with the collars?? Just asking..................lol!! Sandra in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saturday@ 2:00 pm sounds great to me! I'll be watching from quilt camp in Kennebunk Maine wit the Proper Bostonians. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saturday works better for me, too.

    Losing your mind? I do not know how you do it. We are all amazed at your energy, the things you DO, but I am also impressed by your ability to keep track of your schedule. Between family, medical/dental maintenance, car maintenance, sewing machine tracking and care, magazine and book projects, upcoming mysteries, which project is secret... well, I can barely take care of the first 3 or 4 on that list. And that can frazzle me. You just keep smiling. Wow!

    Thanks for dragging us along with you--I can get up and take a few extra steps more than I would have without you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun idea with the shirt cuff. I certainly could make bunches of those!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute cuff idea. I think I just found a great idea for quilt buddy birthday gifts or to put into the Christmas White Elephant exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is so much better, Sunday I will be making Thanksgiving dinner for my family (working Monday so we are eating a day early). And I missed the other evening, thought you said you were to sore to sew, should have known that wouldn't keep you down long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the shirt cuff idea. You are right, it would make a cute gift for quilty friends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wouldn't this be a cute way to store your rotary cutter for traveling???

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like Ami the first thing I thought of was "gift card holder!" So much nicer than the ones in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love what you do, Bonnie!!! Am patiently awaiting the Wild and Goosey block pattern. When will it be published?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous1:40 PM EDT

    I will be sewing with my friend on Saturday and she already told me you'll be on, so I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the "cuff" idea. I was in Goodwill yesterday and found the prettiest man's shirt with the right 1/2 price color on the tag and bought it for $3 - it was a size 5X!!!! I cut it down today and the back was huge - bigger than a fat quarter and I have the fronts and short sleeves too - all washed, trimmed and put away. You have inspired me to start collecting some plaids - I have always wanted to make a quilt with them - no time like the present to start stockpiling.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shirt cuff holder--you can even make left-handed ones and right-handed ones. Or is that left-armed and right-armed?

    ReplyDelete
  28. OOPS, I already took all the buttons off the 46 shirts I found while vacationing for a week with my sisters in August. Guess I'll just have to look for some more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whew! Glad I'm not the only one losing my mind - I'm in good company! Love that shirt cuff idea! Wonder if my husband will miss them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I appreciate all you do. Your time management skills are awesome. Sat. 2 pm sounds great. Micki

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love the shirt cuff idea. I think I will do one for my punch cards and it looks like it is just the right size for my camera which I carry in an eye glass case in my purse and it adds weight to the purse which I don't need for my back. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)