>>>>

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tortilla Soup, Crock Pot Style!

I spent the entire evening working on the yardage and intro to our new mystery ---it’s ready to post in the morning! ((I’m so excited I don’t think I’ll sleep tonight!))

One of the other things I did today while moving and folding stash was to throw the fixings for Tortilla soup in the Crockpot.

It simmered all afternoon and boy is this sure yummy!  I served it with jalapeno biscuits –they were a mix that I got in Santa Fe, and found this week while cleaning out the pantry ---YUM!

And because I’ve had requests for the recipe from facebook friends I thought I’d post it here for everyone to share.

    1 pound ground turkey –browned and set aside.
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed
    3 to 4 small corn tortillas
Generally I don’t like to cook from so many cans --- but in a pinch on a cold day, this comes together quickly!

Place browned ground turkey, tomatoes with juice, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, cut corn tortillas into narrow strips and drop into soup.  Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocadoes. Makes 8 servings.

The best part is there will be leftovers tomorrow!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy.
    But I can't wait till tomorrow!!
    I might not be able to sleep either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! Sleep fast and morning will be here sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After watching others make the Roll,Roll Cotton Boll and Orca Bay quilts, I'm all in on this one...been counting the days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really yummy, but as an Aussie some of the ingredients don't make sense to me - when you say tomato sauce do you mean puréed tomatoes, or an actual sauce and what exactly are black beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some countries black beans are known as turtle beans. Very widely used in the Carribean. When i buy tomato sauce here in the states, it is smoother than pureed tomatoes without any seeds., 100% tomatoes, with or without salt. Hope this helps! B

      Delete
    2. in the uk we would use Passata

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, that helps with the tomatoes! Will have to check the supermarket for the beans when I get home. Currently in Houston for the quilt show. First visit to the states and I have to say you have an awesome country, notwithstanding hurricane Sandy

      Delete
  5. This will be a first for me; I'm planing to do the mystery quilt with you, Bonnie and am very excited - can't wait to see your post tomorrow morning! Thanks for sharing your Tortilla Soup recipe. It's perfect for our cool, rainy Ohio weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teasing us with the mystery. now we will not sleep too. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am so excited I can't sleep . Does it count that It's Wednesday here now ??? lol just kidding, really 1I'm off to bed ....Need a fresh head tomorrow if I'm going to start a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I'm so excited! This will be my first mystery (Previously, I've collected them, stroked the photos, dreamed of taking the challenge, chickened out, SO sad! Big Wuss, here!) I think I won't even bother trying to sleep! I'll just take a nap tomorrow! :-) Whheeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds yummy. Now off I only had power and a treadle stewing macHine. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:41 PM EDT

    Bonnie...seriously, you are so sweet! Not only are you making my Halloween with the start of the mystery but then you gift us with a recipe, too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:58 PM EDT

    Sounds yummy, and I've copied the recipe.

    PERHAPS lol, this recipe will take my mind off of the Fabric Envy I am having - seeing all that wonderful usable fabric you are
    folding. WOW is rather a lame thing to say - but I am totallllly envious lol. But in a good way!

    "Have Fun" and thanks for the recipe.
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to bed right now! This waiting for the new Mystery quilt to start is worse than Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will be my first Mystery Quilt. I tend to be jealous of my time and usually reluctant to commit to something i may not like, but i have full confidence in your designs and learn so much from you, i am excited that you are offering this. I also signed up for your yahoo group so i can benefit and contribute there.
    Btw soup sounds great! Thanks much, b

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first Mystery Quilt as well as being rather new to quilting. I've sewed all my life, but hadn't made a quilt until just two months ago. I'm looking forward to making another one. Think I'd better get to bed too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking forward to your new mystery. Thanks for the soup recipe. I think I am going to sub chicken for the turkey, I can't wait to try this soup. I will be checking back for the mystery fabric info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. IT'S GOOD TO USE YOUR EMERGENCY CANS now and then,
    so you can refresh your pantry -
    your soup sounds delicious.
    thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)