>>>>

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

From Texas to North Carolina!

Remember THIS POST about the $40 Featherweight that my niece surprised me with?  She had posted pics on my facebook wall telling me about it, asking me if she got a good deal.  I was telling her what to do with it to get it up and running, and then she dropped the love-bomb…”I didn’t get it for me, I got it for YOU!”  Oh, it still makes my heart smile!

I wasn’t sure how we were going to get it from Texas to North Carolina ---but as luck would have it, DH had a biz trip to the Dallas area last week, and then spent the weekend with his brother and family in Longview, and was able to pick up the machine to get it home.

The current laugh in the house is that because the case is missing its lid, it cost more for him to BUY the rolling cooler to bring it home in—therefore having to pay to have HIS luggage checked so he could keep this as a carry on---than it cost for the machine in the first place!

I told him, that’s okay --- I wouldn’t charge him for all the cleaning and organizing that I’ve been doing around here either, we’d be even! He thought that was a good deal ;c)

Before I show you what is IN the case – take a look at this cooler!  It is big enough to fit the featherweight IN ITS BOX inside!  It rolls --- it has storage pockets.  I think this cooler is going to get lots of use as a machine carry case ---He got it at Academy Sports or something like that for about $30.00

cheddarbowties 019

SAD CASE!!

cheddarbowties 025

But see how it fits inside?  Even if the case had a lid…it would fit in here.

The machine itself? Oh --- poor thing!  I made a comment yesterday when asked that it had been “Rode hard, and put up dirty!”  It has been used hard…someone sewed MILES on this machine ----and then it has sat neglected for a long. long time.  The foot pedal and wiring are SHOT.  It had that old kind of plug on it ---but this is where my broken pink featherweight comes to the rescue.  I’ll use the foot pedal from the pink one!

cheddarbowties 023

Here she is!

And this is AFTER I wiped her down with a cloth!  Can you see how loved she once was?  The decals and paint are worn off clear to the aluminum.  She even sits lopsided --- she is missing two of her rubber feet on the bottom.  This is also something that I can take from the pink machine to make her stand more level. 

It was time!  I have FOUND the machine that needs a paint job, a machine I can bond with.  I wasn’t going to waste days weeks or months hemming and hawwing over if/when to send it – I’m doing it!

vintagemachines 047

According to the shipping directions, I removed the spool pin and taped it to the machine bed.  I began to wrap with bubble wrap, using tape to keep the bed up and the bubble wrap in place.

vintagemachines 048
Is there a machine in here?!??

vintagemachines 049

I loaded the bubble wrapped machine in a box and filled it with more bubble wrap and those pillow shaped air pocket things all around until the box was completely full and had no “wiggle room”.

vintagemachines 050

It’s on its way!!

And what color are we going for?

If you had a signature color for me what would it be?

schoolbusorange

SCHOOL BUS!!!  YEAH!!

Let the eager waiting begin!!
PS -- You have to give them a REAL name and paint #. You can't just say "CHEDDAR" as there is no paint called CHEDDAR for a car. School bus yellow/orange is as close as I could come.

I sent my machine to Gerald Holmes in Arkansas.

38 comments:

  1. Yeah! That is exactly the color I would have chosen for you. Can't wait to see it. You should feel very loved by your niece and DH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,

    Remember the picture of my yellow featherweight I sent to you? We will have matching machines! Cool!

    Hugs,
    Amy in KY

    ReplyDelete
  3. That school bus could be named cheddar, so yeah, that is the perfect color for you! Can't wait to see the final result once you get it all fixed up. What a wonderful niece you have! And your DH was a good sport about transporting it for you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! can't wait to see it when you get it back! Will hubby be coming to Texas when you come down at New Years again? Can't wait to take your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, where do you send your machine to be painted?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent it to Gerald Holmes in Arkanas: http://home.cablelynx.com/~rambo2/Colors/Pictures.htm

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:50 AM EDT

    What a special machine to have painted and now she can become your "Yellow Rose of Texas". Looking forward to seeing what she looks like when she comes back home.
    Sue
    Upstate NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, you are just "Too Cute". Why didn't I think of that one. That is a perfect name for Bonnie's new machine.

      Delete
  7. You are too funny! We'll see you a mile away. Can't wait to see her when she returns home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to give them a REAL paint name and number --automotive paint. There is no such thing as CHEDDAR paint for a car! The School Bus Yellow/Orange was as close as I could get. It will definitely be one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see it! But the big question: who paints it for you??????? I have one I want to have painted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:03 AM EDT

    School Bus Yellow - great - my daughter's office moved and got all new "stuff". Sort of new - old gray metal desks that were painted that very color! Wonderful story and more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...LOVE the color! Can't wait to see pics of it when you get it back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, too too funny. If you would have made us guess I would have said BLUE! or ORANGE. Wowza, it is going to be so cool! I think you better get yourself some sunglasses when you are ready to open the box when that baby comes home. Cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What other color could there be???????

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SO GLAD for you! Can't wait to see pics of her. Gerald has NO idea how busy he'll be after this! LOL!

    Lucy (in IN)

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's home - she's gone, Oh I cant wait to see her when she gets home!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:24 AM EDT

    When I brought home my 1951 Featherweight that use to belong to my mother-in-law, I said I didn't have a rolling case for it. My daughter brought home a cooler and the Featherweight (in the case) fits beautifully! There are side handles, front pocket & elastic straps on the top. It has gotten a number of miles traveling when I go to the mountain cabin or quilt camps. I love it!

    Mary Ellen
    Silver Spring, MD

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is exciting! Now did you tell us she is running just fine and sews like new?
    Well the pink princess will live on as a transplant donor at the very least.....gone from the stable of usable machines but not from your heart :0.
    We'll all be watching for the yellow hornet to return :0)

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  18. This brought a grin to my face. How fun it will it be for you to have a cheddar machine!?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Bonnie - I think you made a huge mistake - you'll never be able to sew with cheddar fabric any more - you'll lose the pieces when they are sitting right in front of you on the machine! LOL!! Sue K

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I had a signature color it would be either lime green or teal/turquoise. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh, Bonnie, I cannot wait to see this sweet little baby with her new paint job. I know you will be pretty anxious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to see your chedder yellow machine. Gerald painted one a deep ruby red for me last year and I will soon be sending him another one to paint in some shade of blue. I love my Ms Ruby!

    Doro in TX

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could have guessed the yellow/Orange color for you. They say that color makes you hungry! I'll bring "Chocolate" in March for you. Did you test her stitching out too?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was guessing it would be painted be cheddar. Funny thing- back in '76 my future FIL ordered a Volvo wagon for us. They came in Black (looked to me like a rolling hearse), White (rolling freezer) School Bus Yellow (pumpkin orange) and Aleutian Blue (pretty faded denim). The Aleutian Blue wasn't available so we received School Bus Yellow- nicknamed The Great Pumpkin. Congratulations on your new FW. I found a nice rolling salesman bag at the thrift store for mine. It easily fits the machine in its case and my kit for the Scrappy Trips quilt I started with you at the VT QuiltFest. Wheels are one of the greatest inventions ever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. When my kids rode the bus to school they said it was the "Big Cheese" Some kids though (1/2 day kids) rode the "Little Cheese". I think it is a great color for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great choice on the color. Can't wait to see it finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this idea for a carrying case. It seems if something is meant for quilting or sewing that the price is jacked up like crazy! You can also put a bottle of water in the side pocket and keep it cold! What a good husband to bring this home to you. I can hardly wait to see it all painted up in your "Bonnie Cheddar!"

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooooohhh how exciting! René one painted a featherweight red... but sold it :-/

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's where my machine came from! Rainbow of Colors or somethign like this... in AK
    He did a GREAT job on mine! You will love it! so happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's is really wonderful news Bonnie! I'm really happy for you and I don't think there would be any other color for you than your cheddar (no matter what they call it).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super cool story Bonnie!! Funny you should mention Longview, TX. I lived there for 7 years a long time ago. It is also where my son was born. Lots of fun memories. So now when I see you sewing on your Cheddar featherweight I will think of Longview!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats! I'm excited to see the end result and thanks for sharing the linky! I'm toying with having mine painted candy apple red.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bonnie, I am getting that cooler featherweight transport. I have a question: the case that came w/my featherweight has two broken latches. The latches have been sliced (?) off right at the stable part on the lid. I can't close my case. Any ideas to get the latches replaced/fixed? I plan to keep my feather weight in the bottom of the case with the broken top. but won't be able to lift it by the handle unless I get the lid fixed. Thanks for the cooler idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. contact Glenn Williams in FL - Wonderful FW dealer! Di in TN

      Delete
  34. Gerald did my FW (Sapphire blue) many years ago; and his prices are still the same! Lots less than others charge.... Di in TN

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)