>>>>

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Virginia Bound Day in Woodbridge!

20140621_144600
Yesterday was another scrappy stringy day on my 3 guild tour through Virginia!  Yesterday and tomorrow I am with the Cabin Branch Quilters in Woodbridge, just south of Washington, DC.

And we’ve got the traffic to prove it!!

Actually GETTING here was the most difficult – imagine me leaving Fredericksburg on a Friday evening at 5:30pm by the time I got out of town.  And traffic backups on I-95 that made the 30 mile journey take about an hour and a half.

Thank heavens for audio books!

This is Dena and her fun black Virginia Bound blocks --- with selvages used just on the outside neutral area.  Isn’t this fun??

All of the ladies were making great progress on their blocks.  I love the large size of these ---15” finished.  They make a big splash, no matter what fabrics or colors you use in making them up.

The pattern for Virginia Bound is found in my book Scraps & Shirttails.  Signed copies can be purchased HERE.

We were also graced by the presence of a beautiful lady in class yesterday:

20140621_114828-1

Oh, honey, come to mama!!

This is a Singer 301 with a raspberry metallic paint job!  I couldn’t stop running my fingers over her gorgeousness!  She was painted by the same fellow, Gerald who painted my School Bus featherweight, and I have his info linked where the image of the featherweight is under the Vintage machines tab at the top of the blog.  Just scroll down to the featherweight and you’ll find his info right there.

20140621_122001-1

Silly girl fun!

Friends Carrie and Marti are here from Delaware, and it’s great to see them and spend some time with them too!  Check out what Marti is doing with her Virginia Bound blocks….she’s throwing triangles into the neutral corners:

20140621_144445

Just the ones that go up against the inner border!

The story goes that Marti was gifted a whole box of bonus triangles from a gal who didn’t want them, and she spent time sliver trimming them all down to the next useable size on the ruler which was something like 1.5” so they finish at 1”.  There aren’t enough to do all of the blocks all the way around, so she thought they would just be an accent on the blocks that have their outside edge up against the inner border.  Sounds like a winner to me!  It will be fun to see this one grow.

I think I have the trouble figured out with Picassa Web Albums – something with clearing cache and cookies and re-entering password which had changed.  UGH. Puter headaches, but we deal with them!

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.
And if you know which plug in I need for my Galaxy s5 phone so that I can view them on the phone – please leave me a comment below!

Today is a day off for me.  I’ve been invited to the sewing studio of Shannon Shirley, who also teaches, lectures and writes books on her art quilts and exhibits.  I’m excited!  She came along on my Germany trip last December, and truth be told, I owe her, because when it was SO COLD she loaned me her long-johns to stay warm.  Yes, we have bonded since I have worn her undies…LOL!  It should be a fun day.

I’ll be working more on this:

20140621_213007

My 6 center blocks ready to sew together.

Next round will be yellow!  Have you considered sewing along with me?  It uses up SO MANY SCRAPS and is such a fun pattern!  There is nothing to sign up for, just grab your free pattern for the String Spiderweb from the Free Patterns tab above and start sewing!

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone ---It’s the first one of SUMMER 2014!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. My Galaxy Note 3 will not allow me to view web cams. Says you need Acrobat player V ??? - which is not compatible with "Jelly Bean" products. They do give a work around - but I didn't bother with that. Will wait 'til I see my son in Virginia and see what he thinks. (I am in Florida so it will be a while). Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love with a wonderful colorful sewing machine!! How fun! Enjoyed your blog today...it just put a smile on my face to see all those scrappy pieces coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love Marti's use of her smallish hst. I am addicted to sewing the heck out of hst. I trim mine to 2 1/2", not good enough, down to 2", below two I sew them together and put them in my string bin to use somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Shared Picasa Album Viewer. I copy the link URL from your blog post, then in the Picasa app, click the menu, choose Add New Album and paste the link. I have the HTC Droid DNA phone .. There may be an easier way on newer phones .. Hope this helps. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So neat to see Dena on the blog! I really got hooked on Quiltville when I saw Dena's Easy Street. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this forum but not sure which problems you are having. Hope it helps! https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/rAC-M5rcdp8

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do this but don't have enough scraps do you think it would be to repetitive if I use the same fabrics in the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gerald painted a VERY cosmetically challenged 1935 featherweight a 1957 Chevy turquoise and she is beautiful! My friend had her 301 painted a very slightly darker raspberry than the one in your picture and she is just gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving Marti's hst accent! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are having your summer now, however a mild start we are experiencing truly article winter now. A good time to stay inside to do some sewing and snuggle under quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are having your summer now, however after a mild start we are experiencing truly artic winter now. A good time to stay inside to do some sewing and snuggle under quilts.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)