>>>>

Monday, June 02, 2014

Hand Carried Avocados to Cabin Guacamole! ((Recipe))

LA_CA2014 119
Avocados grow in Downey, California!

And while I was there just a couple weeks ago, I got to pick them with Mary in her back yard.

It brought back so many memories!

Growing up in California, My friend Anne and I would escape the confines of the high school at lunch, walk to her house, and have ourselves a lunch of fresh tree-picked avocados sliced in half and filled with a puddle of ranch dressing in the “hole”.  Oh my goodness, those were good!

Of course at that time we were 17 and weren’t worried about our waistlines or even thinking about the fat content of avocados and ranch dressing.

Today we know that yes, avocados do have a fat content, but it’s a good-for-you fat in moderation.  And I passed on the ranch dressing to turn the avocados I brought home into guacamole yesterday afternoon.

LA_CA2014 121

Picking avocados on a 40 year old tree!

LA_CA2014 125

clusters of yumminess!

LA_CA2014 126

Come to mama you beautiful green fruit!

We picked some for me to bring home in my luggage, and I brought them rigpe and ready up to the cabin for our weekend, a taste of California in the mountains of Western North Carolina!

Cabin_June2014 028

Best Guacamole EVER!

  • 4 Ripe Avocados
  • 1 Lime, juiced with some pulp {can use 3T bottled lime juice, but not quite as good}
  • 2 Tablespoon Diced JalapeƱo pepper or to taste
  • 1/2 cup chunky salsa
  • 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 Cup Cilantro, very finely chopped
Making Guacamole: Peel and remove the pit from each avocado and place in a medium bowl.  Mash with a fork, leaving it a little chunky. I actually have a tool for scooping and slicing at one end, and mashing at the other….

Cabin_June2014 036
 
Look! It’s even avocado colored!  I love this thing for scooping and slicing right out of the peel with one end right into salads, etc.
 
Squeeze the juice and some pulp from one lime into the mashed  avocados. Then sprinkle on salt, black pepper, and garlic . Stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then fold in cilantro and jalapeno peppers and salsa.  Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.  
 
Not sure if it is an old wives tale or not – but we left the pits in the guacamole to keep it green while we waited for the men folk to come back to the cabin after a long 4 wheeler adventure.
 
Needless to say, it was also half gone by the time they got back!
 
We are leaving the cabin in a few minutes – headed home to tackle what needs to be done so I can leave for Oregon tomorrow morning!

There WILL be Quilt Cam tonight at 9pm Eastern!  Bring  project and BE THERE.  I think I’m ready to pull out an old UFO…I have a spider web I uncovered and am eager to get going on again!
 
See you here, then!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!














21 comments:

  1. Great Memories and I do love Avocado but like you, I know I have to love it in moderation, Enjoy Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love guacamole. Not easy to get good avocados in WY, but we try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, picking avocados off the tree, heaven!
    Thanks also for the recipe. It looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:11 AM EDT

    I'm the only one in my family that likes guacamole, or avacados in any form. *sigh* So I try to buy small portions that I know I can finish. They just don't know what they are missing!!! Love your blog Bonnie, love to follow you on your daily adventures!!
    Melissa in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Downey for 8 years and had the biggest avacado tree. I miss it and now pay $ 1.49 for one avacado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were in San Diego for 7 years and I miss the tree fresh lemons and fresh lemonade the kid would make and sell on the corner. It was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds good... I moved to California four years ago, and was shocked at how good the produce tastes here, ripened on the tree or plant. And the avocados in the store are ripe, not hard little bricks! Now everyone just keep sending good thoughts for California rain so we can keep growing these yummies for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also good is half a can of drained Ro-tel tomatoes/chilies added to one mashed avocado. I sprinkle with lemon crystals if fresh lemons or limes not available.
    My niece, from CA, mashed an avocado into a drained can of tuna. No mayo needed. Eats on crackers or pumpernickel bread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DRIVER ykentuzYUMMMIES.... living in South Fl most of my life - avocado season came and we ate ourselves into an avocado stuper. LOL LOVE THEM

    Best way, with a squeeze of REAL Key Lime, use an old spoon to scoop out what you eat - right there under the tree!

    OHH memories.

    Have a special time Bonnie
    Smiles, JulieinTN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay Quiltcam! I can't wait! I love avocados and make guacamole very similar to yours, but I don't usually add the salsa. Nothing like good homemade chunky "guac." Actually I have some in the fridge now, but the avocados came from my local grocery store. Now to find one of those tools...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guacamole is my go to for condiments around here. We're gf and hubby is also allergic to nightshades....so I make pretty much the same way sans the peppers. We eat on sandwiches (hamburgers) instead of ketchup and mustard (both nightshades) makes for a lot of forethought, cooking and eating this way, but for allergy sake, it's a must. Even planning burgers on the grill constitutes making the bun! ;-) or wrap in lettuce or just plain without the bun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Former in-laws lived near LAX & had an avocado tree. After visiting them, we'd be sent home with a full paper grocery bag of them, those were the days. Overripe avocados can be mashed or turned into guacamole and frozen until needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lime or lemon juice keeps the guacmole from turning gray. Plus putting some plastic wrap right against the guacamole so there's no airspace.

    However, the best plan, and what usually happens around here, is eating it up immediately!

    --C.B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara Bruenning4:48 PM EDT

    WOW! Memories. Long before Guacamole was the in thing, there were avocado sandwiches. Mashed with lemon juice etc. but on toast with bacon and onion! Lived in Southern California as a child and we had an avocado grove. Must be VERY careful when picking or the warehouse will not take them. Remember riding in the back of the jeep with cases of the beautiful green fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay!! I love Guacamole as much as anyone...but I'm doing the gluten free thing just like you...what are you making as a chip?? Inquiring minds would love to know!! Carol K in PA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look forward to seeing you at the Northwest Quilters Guild meeting in the 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We moved into this house 25 years ago and I planted an avacado seed that grew into a tree about 10 or 15 years ago we are getting fruit this year for the first time. The tree is lovely large green leaves year round it looks similar to a magnolia ( the leaves and the size of the tree) the flowers are tiny tiny on the ends of long stems. The flowers while very small are numberious and messy, we have a walk way near/under the tree and the flowers/stems and huge leaves cover it completely but once I start picking avacados in my own yard who cares! Ours are still small I hope they will continue to grow, we have 5 and the tree just bloomed again for the next crop
    Colleen
    In dry
    Benicia California

    ReplyDelete
  18. Accckkkk I can't believe I missed Quilt Cam. But after my doggie getting me up at 3 am being sick on my bed, couch, & loveseat I had to start laundry. THEN when I got home, she had moved the towels protecting the loveseat and threw up twice AGAIN. I was not a happy mama plus I was so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Accckkkk I can't believe I missed Quilt Cam. But after my doggie getting me up at 3 am being sick on my bed, couch, & loveseat I had to start laundry. THEN when I got home, she had moved the towels protecting the loveseat and threw up twice AGAIN. I was not a happy mama plus I was so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:08 PM EDT

    Maire and I got comments about the tree being online. I'm glad you enjoyed the fruit. I'm up to my 22 scrappy house (block, of course). For people who are avoiding gluten, guacamole is good with veggies, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)