>>>>

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Antiquing Along!

I’ve seen some BEAUTIFUL vintage quilts while here in Pennsylvania….some really different ones too!

Two antique malls in Allentown, PA gave me lots of opportunity to wander and discover and dream!

I am absolutely in love with the simplicity of an easy rail fence….this one has 4 rails – 3 scrappy and one solid black to give the zig zag stair step effect.  WONDERFUL!

I just may have to do one of these in an effort to tame some shirt scraps that are a bit out of control….wouldn’t it be great?

And that solid red border….It’s the perfect color to end that quilt with some punch!

This quilt included a lot of black/grey  mourning prints amongst the plaids and stripes, and I am guesstimating this quilt to be from somewhere around 1900.

Someone must have had a lot of males in the household because most of the fabrics are masculine in nature.

PA_April2013 089

Close up of one corner.  FUN!

PA_April2013 090

Dots and prints and stripes and solids…..Terrific!

At another location I ran into a similar quilt with a bit different effect:

PA_April2013 177

Same quilt pattern, same number of rails per block, no zig-zag because there is no specific fabric placement – this one has more of a “Basket Weave” effect.

PA_April2013 178

Close up of one corner ---plaids and stripes of every pastel hue available!

PA_April2013 179

Plaids and stripes are hard to date, but there were some other prints in here – see them?

PA_April2013 180

Are these 1930s? or 1940s?

PA_April2013 181

Very sweet dress prints mixed in with all those checks and stripes!

Who is ready to make a simple scrappy rail fence??  I just loved these!

20 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got one of these in your future! :) Can't wait to see your take on it. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a very masculine rail fence years ago for a cousin. I think a scrappy one would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of doing a rail fence for ages - the one with the black zigzag has inspired me - will get out my overflowing
    1 1/2 in bin and get sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm certainly inspired !!! I made a mini rail fence once but am thinking something bigger would be great fun :) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a rail fence for my 2nd quilt ever. I made a gift of it for my daughter. I'd love to make another one out of checks and plaids. Those look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrappy fence rail would be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!! What for the black... Kona solid??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you deserve a simple pattern like this, after all the complex quilts that you make. I think you should do it!~ Maybe a good for quiltcam?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are wonderful quilts! I think 1930 is a good date for the second quilt. I made a rail fence years ago as a baby quilt with brights. I'd like to try one with the black solid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to look at and easy to make..... do I need another project? :o(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote on my "to-do" list, dated 3/18/2013....GIRLY RAIL FENCE. I love the rail fence pattern because it is simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, our next leader/ender???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I have some pastel homespun fat quarters that I haven't figured out a use for. The Basket Weave rail fence quilt is getting my creative juices going!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made a small rail fence quilt but not a scrappy one. Love, love, love them -- especially the one with the black. Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:31 PM EDT

    I'm loving this pattern! Thinking modern, could see great opportunity here! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures. Love the quilts and ideas. Would like to make the one with the black stripe.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I NEED to make one of these! I love them. I will have to put one on my To Do list for after I finish some of my UFO's. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have all of my material collected to make a blue, brown and green scrappy one, I just need to finish my scrappy trip around the world first!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous7:50 AM EDT

    yes! I was just thinking about some sort of scrappy string quilt, rail fence is perfect. I like the one with the black.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the scrappy rail fence! Good for all those short ends of strings!

    You are just too darn inspiring, I still need to do the stringy geese and the scrappy trips!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)