>>>>

Friday, May 18, 2012

Project Linus Day at Culvers!

Sometimes life throws in some amazing twists and turns ---causing a detour to gift you with someone more amazing than the original destination!

When Pam picked me up at the airport --- we made our hellos, lugged my luggage into her car, and off we went.

She had read about my wish to hit a near-by Culvers frozen custard place---we don’t have those in North Carolina, so it is really a novelty to me when I get to the Midwest. I know people who are the same way about Chick-fil-A ---they don’t HAVE one, so when they can get one, it’s a special treat. We were off to find the nearest location, and she handed me the mapquest print out which told us to take exit 2-A --- right up the road.

And we missed our turn!

Never fear, she said—she knew where ANOTHER one was, and we switched gears and off we went. And this is where our detour turned fortuitous.

We found our parking spot, walked inside to be approached by a gal wearing a Project Linus Tshirt, who told us that it was Project Linus day at Culvers, and if we mentioned Project Linus when we ordered, Culvers would give a donation. She also asked “Are you aware of Project Linus?”

“Of COURSE we are, we are QUILTERS!” was my response, and we were told that there was a Harry Potter quilt being raffled off in the dining area of the restaurant, and we could go buy tickets.

We got our food ----and proceeded to find a table, and of course I made a bee line for the quilt, because we LOVED the Harry Potter movies. As I approached…..the woman at the ticket table did a double-take and exclaimed “Oh, my goodness --- are YOU Bonnie Hunter?” and I laughed, and she laughed and we had a wonderful conversation --- it turns out she is an avid blog reader and had read my post on Tuesday morning all about the Minister’s Quilt and how I was leaving that morning for a flight to Illinois ---

IL_OH_May2012 056

So, with all the Culvers in the whole of Chicagoland --- I come walking into the one where she is selling raffle tickets for a Harry Potter quilt in support of Project Linus day. Here is Lynda and myself in front of the wonderful Harry Potter quilt!

IL_OH_May2012 057

The drawing was Tuesday night at 8pm --- I kept waiting for my phone to ring to tell me I was the lucky winner, but since it didn’t get a call I presume I didn’t win --- darn! I really loved this quilt!

But best of all, was meeting Lynda ----thanks to a missed exit, a change of plans --- and Project Linus day!

IL_OH_May2012 053

Lunch was yummy too! Something else I can’t do in NC---exchange my fries for cheese curds! YUMMY!

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM EDT

    Gorgeous quilt! Can you imagine the number of tickets that quilt would have sold if the drawing was a week or two later after having had you post pictures of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:46 AM EDT

    Sometimes we get upset when our "plan" doesn't work the way we expect only to discover a larger plan in our lives which gives us great surprises! Love it.
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes the best things in life result from 'wrong turns'! Congrats, Bonnie! sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I met due to a wrong turn on her part, and a misread date on my part... I LOVE wrong turns.

    Maybe I'll share that story on my blog sometime. WAY to long to put here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big HP fan too. That quilt is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sort of luck that only quilters have - great story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have that quilt pattern! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are those fried cheese curds?! Heart attack on a plate! No, wait; HOAP is poutine, the best of which you can find only in small chip joints in Quebec! LOL!

    What a wonderful meet-up -- and a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Poutine, for the uninitiated, is cheddar cheese curds nestled in French fries, smothered in gravy... Yum!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:36 PM EDT

      Yessireeee.... Had poutine in Quebec several years ago. Yummmmm Suzanne from Maine

      Delete
  9. We have a Culver's here in my town. Can say they have an awesome Ruben ;)..Funny how God puts us where we need to be and this is a good example of that! Wanted to share a site I found today with another take on HEXI'S..It includes steps to make them 2 sided and quilted all in the same step...I am thinking I like this method. Still portable and when you are finished it is two sided and quilted and pretty much done. The site is called Angie's Bits and Pieces. The tutorials are free as well as a couple of patterns. Not planning on signing up to the tune of $30 a year though!!!!! Hope you all take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie Padilla has certainly got some really interesting stuff on her site - have folloowed her for years. Have you ever considered machine sewing those hexagons - especially if big, it works a treat, and there's still the hand sewing of the open ends to do, and stitching them together into flowers.

      Delete
    2. I have thought of machine but this is my take it with me busy work so hand sewing is portable. I do like the idea of quilting them in the process. I just came across her site from another blog from Pinterest pictures. I will continue to follow her for a while and see what she has that's new.

      Delete
  10. great story...and how fun to meet a quilter in an unexpected place. Margie-just google Harry Potter quilt pattern those are free block patterns

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the bestest adventures, Just love reading about them, we have a Culvers here and I've been wanting to try it and now will have too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fortunate your wrong turn happened to be! I love Harry Potter and I'm very involved in Project Linus. All the PL ladies know Bonnie Hunter and we use your scrappy patterns a lot. Several of us have taken classes with you here in N Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a realistic quilt - I thought it was rows of shelves behind you until I read it was the quilt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there a pattern for that quilt? I would love to make it for the library that I work in. Just too awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a free block of the week project by Jennifer Ofenstein last year. Check this out: http://hp-paperpiecing.livejournal.com/119089.html

      Delete
  15. What a great book shelf quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I notice they called it a "blanket" on the little sign. Hmmm...whatever, I would still love to win that!!!

    Lori in VA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! The Trifecta of the Midwest... Harry Potter, Project Linus, and Culvers. Ooops, plus Bonnie. Quadrafecta?? I hope you relished the custard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICE quilt.It was fate the missed turn was.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fate takes us in some amazing directions. How wonderful for everyone involved...all the way down to the recipients of the charitable donation they'll receive. Gosh there are too many positives to count with one missed exit! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great detour! You know, it's attitude, too. My dad never got lost---he just explored a lot. So glad you shared this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I went this past weekend to Austin to see a trunk by the woman who runs Fandom in Stitches, who created that quilt. Here I am with her Harry Potter http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdoty72/?uploaded=1&magic_cookie=194c4b140e9e646234f0c27d714e5305
    Almost the same picture, just different people! funny!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can tell you are close to Wisconsin when you start getting the Cheese Curd option! LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)