>>>>

Friday, May 25, 2012

Time Out at Salem Lake!

One thing I’ve learned is that it is always important to keep your gas tank full.

And not just the car tank – but your own personal soul tank too. If you are running on empty, you don’t have anything to give anyone else.

Sometimes that means fitting in just an hour for yourself even if a gazillion other things are on your plate.

Or --- something I’ve heard a lot lately on every plane flight – so much so that I can repeat it word for word with the flight attendant: “If you are traveling with someone who needs assistance, apply your own mask first, and then offer assistance ---“ Hard to help someone with their oxygen if you don’t have enough for yourself.

This morning securing my own oxygen mask came in the form of a bit of time out in between running errands. Book orders to the post office at 8:30! Bank deposit to the bank shortly thereafter --- and before returning home to dig deep into more book edits, I drove to near by Salem Lake --- I hadn’t been there in almost a year. How’s that for crazy?

I just needed some time for the dappled sunlight of morning through the trees, the hum of bugs and the chirp of birds, and I wanted to see how things were going on the reconstruction of the dam.

They’ve got the construction going now so that you can’t take the walking trails all the way around the lake --- you can only go so far and have to turn around ---so I walk-jogged 2.5 miles out and 2.5 miles back for a total of 5 miles. The green dot on the map is where I started and ended. Total time taken as “time out” for me? One hour and twenty minutes. Worth every second!

salemlake 001

Humidity has returned to the south!

The water levels are still way down because the reconstruction of the dam is still going on. Can you see that cloudless sky? It’s going to be a hot one today, and I should have been out there before 7am, not 9am like I was!

salemlake 002

Water levels WAY LOW!

salemlake 004

It was wonderful to see the trees so lush with green ----and though it looks like an empty path, there were lots of mountain bikers, walkers and joggers about. And plenty of pooches leading their masters too! This lake is probably my favorite spot in all of Winston Salem.

salemlake 005

There is a bench just before where a bridge crosses this little creek – SUCH a scenic spot, and I always love to sit for just a few minutes and ponder and reflect. Just the sound of the trickling water brings peace to an otherwise hectic day.

I hope my sharing of my “time out” amidst all of the things on the To-Do list brought a bit of beauty and peace to your day too!

17 comments:

  1. Definitely! Glad you got to take some time out, Bonnie. And glad you shared it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bonnie, and for passing this on. The pictures are beautiful. I find this me time out in my back yard. With our dog, and the reclining lounge, looking up at the trees---and dozing off. I'll have to post some pictures from this angle soon. Have a wonderful weekend and it must be good to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its 2 am, and i can't sleep, so reading of your time out in that beautiful tranquil place may help me find some zzz's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just exactly what I needed - peacefulness and calmness. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:48 PM EDT

    Yay, Bonnie! Time spent in nature is the best for replenishing the soul. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos from your walk.
    Lisa
    Lalexander733(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Thanks for sharing your quiet time this morning. Looks very tranquil. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God has given us all we need...we just need to look for it. We camped in NC last summer and LOVED it. Peace and nature replenish me so. Glad you are looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:10 PM EDT

    What a pretty spot. Good for you. I'm on my time out now too after taking out a half row of quilting that I didn't like! No what???
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:00 PM EDT

    Bonnie, what a timely message. Good to hear you took the time to relax and jog. We all have times wwe should be relaxing instead of stressing out.

    Mine was yesterday and today - I NEEDED to read your blog.

    MUCHO THANKS
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janice D4:00 PM EDT

    Oh my what a beautiful place and I never heard of it before! Good for you! I have never seen anybody travel as much as you do. You certainly need the time to unwind. Also, you never showed us your updated photos of your new basement shelving finished. Would really like to see how it turned out, or did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I feel refreshed just looking at those trees

    ReplyDelete
  12. That little stream looks like such a peaceful place. I think I need a "time out".
    Enjoy your time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it was exactly what you needed. Hope your battery has been completely recharged!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recall paddling this lake with some friends a few years ago, thank you for bringing back the memory and giving my own batteries a bit of a spark in the remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cindy, The Purple Quilter10:39 AM EDT

    Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God!

    Bonnie, you have set a great example for us to live out this verse in our busy lives. Even though you were walking, you were "being still" in that you were enjoying God's awesome creation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:29 PM EDT

    LIKE! ;)
    ~QuiltyKate in IL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! This looks like my kind of territory! I love to sit and listen to the trickle of a stream and watch nature. Thanks for sharing - I'll continue to look for my heaven on earth for a little "time out". Meanwhile, I love the peace and quiet of my home.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)