>>>>

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Jeni’s --- Ice Creams of a Different Flavor!

Three quilters in an SUV, set loose to hop from quilt shop to quilt shop --- it’s serious business, you know?!

One can build up a powerful hunger while fondling fabric and figuring yardage amounts and subtracting 30% from a full price sticker because things are ON SALE!

Little did I know what kind of treat I’d be in for when Catie pulled in and parked behind a little trendy strip mall area, telling me I need to try Jeni's ---the shop is pretty unasuming on the outside ---and the inside isn’t much more descriptive. They do ONE THING --- and that one thing is the focal point of the whole shop…

ICE CREAM. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream.

IL_OH_May2012 734

As we hustled down the side walk heading for the front door, I got a glimpse of what “Grown Up” ice cream is all about! Lemon and Blueberries. Lime Cardamom ((CARDAMOM in ice cream!?? OH BOY!)) Backyard Mint. Goat Cheese with Red Cherries. ((Goat cheese in ICE CREAM!?))

This is definitely not your “31 flavors” type of place. And you should have seen the counter guy waiting on us – the way he described how each taste would hit our palettes ---the delightful freshness of “this” with a subtle undertone of “that” followed by a burst of “this..” He was like a wine connoisseur describing the most delicate of vintages in ultimate detail.

OH, and taste tests are free! Wanna give it a go?

IL_OH_May2012 735

Start here with the “Signature Flavors”

IL_OH_May2012 736

Salty Caramel! YUM!! Can you read the description?

IL_OH_May2012 737

WIldberry Lavender.

IL_OH_May2012 738

Dark Chocolate and White House Cherry. Just reading the descriptions has my mouth watering. “intense chocolate flavor with a fudge-like texture and a pleasingly dry finish.” I don’t think I’ve ever met a “regular” chocolate ice cream that had a pleasingly dry finish. Have I been missing out all my life?

IL_OH_May2012 739

Bangkok Peanut & Queen City Cayenne!

Hot Cayenne pepper in ice cream? Why not? I love the Lindt chocolate chili bars…..

IL_OH_May2012 740

VERY GROWN UP SORBETS! Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet ----and Grapefruit Frozen Yogurt. OH. MY. WORD! How do you choose?

IL_OH_May2012 741

Plum Sake Sorbet! Lemon & Blue Berries!

So what did I go for?

IL_OH_May2012 744

Bangkok Peanut on the bottom, and Black Currant Yogurt on the top…it was like a frozen peanut butter & jelly sandwich, only better! DELISH!

And if you wanted something else, you could find all sorts of nummies on the board:

IL_OH_May2012 742

If you are traveling through Ohio or Tennessee, you can find a Jeni’s HERE and try your own taste of grown up ice cream!

I think I need to go back and try some of the ones I missed ---it was fantastic!

It's Sister's Choice day with the Common Threads quilt guild! My last Ohio workshop this trip -- but don't worry, Ohio Quilters, I'll be back in June!

14 comments:

  1. breakfast time and I am craving Grapefruit frozen yoghurt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:34 AM EDT

    Oh my, Oh my, Oh my, Oh my, I would never have made it out of the shop!!! Ice cream is my absolute favorite dessert! Everything chocolate and so much more to choose from!!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the choice of flavors and I found a shop that is close to me in Ohio . . . plan to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bonnie! I am so happy Catie took you to jenis because it would have been too much temptation for me! I love their ice cream! My oldest son's apartment was only one block away on High Street in Columbus. Wouldn't that be the perfect place to live? Have an wonderful class today and a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word - talk about gourmet ice cream! I'm going to HAVE to look for this place when we get back there again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:34 AM EDT

    Bonnie, good grief! I would have to have had several days just eating ice cream! HOw can you pick when the variety is so wonderful. You should weight 400# !!! Walk it off and eat more lol.
    Have fun
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie w.9:48 AM EDT

    Omg that's cool you were able to GO there. That ice cream was featured on something national (Oprah? Martha Stewart?) and you can get the ice cream by mail order. I have always wanted to order some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids just caught me licking the computer screen....

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have her book and have tried several. Te salted caramel is our absolute favorite! If I ever get to actually go to one of her shops I think it will be my idea of heaven on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeni's also has an online business. Well at least they did at one time. I ordered several flavors for my Dad for Father's Day. He said the flavors were too rich... He said he had to mix his local grocery stores vanilla with all of them. Expensive to ship, but from your review and the ones that led me to try Jeni's in the first place...well worth it. Some day I'll have to treat myself. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just checked the website and they have a retail partner locally here in VA Beach...I hope they have at least a few of the unusual flavors in stock. I LOVE grown-up ice cream...and sorbet...and gelato...and...well, you get the picture. There is a great gelato place in Lexington, KY that I try to visit whenever I visit my son...or is it that I visit my son every time I go for gelato? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How timely! Next week I drive from Baltimore to Illinois and go right through Columbus. One of the shops is pretty close to I70. I think I'll be making a stop. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:37 PM EDT

    Oh my gosh! I'm salivating sitting here at the keyboard! I do consider myself an ice cream connoisseur (ahem, addict!), but have never heard of anyplace like this! Definitely going to have to check it out if I'm ever in OH!
    And now I'm having some pretty intense cravings...
    ~QuiltyKate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, if you go back to OH in June, try a Greater's Ice Cream at one of their shops. It's not quite as exotic, but it's the best ice cream I ever had in my life. I discovered it when in grad school in Cincinnati. I want to try that though.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)