>>>>

Sunday, April 06, 2014

A Boxy Stars Afternoon!

Williamsburg_April2014 108
Happy Faces in Happy Places!

This was the kind of fun we had yesterday ---Half Day classes can still accomplish quite a bit!

We shared a pot luck lunch after yesterday morning’s guild meeting was adjourned, a plethora of yummy salads, crock pot goodies, sandwiches and a counter-full of desserts ---and by 1pm we were at our machines ready to put a full 4 hours into the creation of boxy star blocks.

Williamsburg_April2014 074

A full room of quilters for my lecture!

This is one class that I have everyone cut their pieces for ahead of time…so no cutting time is needed in an already shortened class day – this gives us the maximum amount of time for concentrated sewing!

The color schemes and themes were varied, which makes it a lot of fun for everyone to get up out of their chair occasionally and see what is going on over on the other side of the room.  It is inspiring to see what other colors and fabrics are being used ---

Williamsburg_April2014 086

Stars of ANOTHER kind!

I’m throwing these in here because they are too cute not to!  Heaven help me, I can’t remember who these belonged to this morning – complete brain fog – I can see her face in my mind!  These are 1/4” hexies, in English paper piecing.

Williamsburg_April2014 087

Precious!

I do remember her saying that she was using that glue pen to do the basting, and after completion, she plans to have it matted and framed under glass to preserve it.  Isn't this lovely?

Okay, back to Boxy Stars!  Why are they called Boxy Stars? Because sometimes, depending on the value placement you will see 3D boxes instead of stars..take a look:

Williamsburg_April2014 118

These seem giant after those little hexies, but look at THIS vision!

Come see what else we got up to by viewing the slide show!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Boxy Stars, Williamsburg, VA 2014


You will find the free pattern for Boxy Stars under the Free Patterns Tab at the top of the blog.  It's guaranteed to be a lot of fun to sew, and will use up all of those 2.5" strips you've been saving for far too long.  What's stopping you?

I'm on my way home this morning.

All that's left here is a bit of breakfast and I'll be hitting the road.  It will take me between 4 and 5 hours to hit my front door, and I'll be drawing for the winner of the Quiltmaker May/June issue along with a copy of my new book, MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders!

Have you left on comment on THE GIVEAWAY POST to enter the drawing? You have a few hours left to get it done!  Good luck, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

9 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your posts !
    You spend quite a bit of time on the road driving... When I spend time on the road I love audio books. Makes the time go by so/sew fast. I use them when I am quilting after I figure out the in and outs of a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie. I had a great time Saturday in your boxy stars class. I was the lady with the tiny hexies and red featherweight.Thank you for all your knowledge you share with us. I hope to be in one of your classes again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That red featherweight was a beauty and the tiny hexies out of this world. Congratulations Joy on such a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, I love your little hexies! Great colors! Thanks Bonnie, for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little hexagons are ...incredibile!!!Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, those little hexies are adorable! Thanks to Joy for showing you the work she has done already. Thanks to you, Bonnie, for posting the pic. Also, I just love the Boxy Stars with the black background. I made one with all of the scraps in my 2 1/2" bin and used leftover pieces of unbleached muslin, but that black background really makes all of the fabrics sing. It says, "Try me sometime." On my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shaded fabric the lady in the first photo has used! Really does look folded! And 1/4" hexies? HAVE MERCY - how can anyone's finger work that small? She hs a great idea to frame the Hexie Star!

    Relax and enjoy a few days off?
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved your boxy stars pattern. I am thinking of using my shirt fabrics to make one. Wish I could have attended this workshop. These ladies were having just too much fun!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)