>>>>

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Calling This one DONE!

VCQ_Apr2014 082
Whoowhooo! I’ve finished my Cheddar Sampler top!

It’s about danged time, don’t you think?

Yes, I pushed my way through by sewing in the evenings  after class and after the evening program at VCQ at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia in an effort to spare you from any more “Must make more string border blocks” on Quilt-Cam! 

I know you are tired of seeing me work on them, just as tired as I am of working on them…but they are done!  This photo was taken after adding ONE border – Ooh, I like!

VCQ_Apr2014 081

Two borders on!  Time to run for Pat Speth’s lecture!

It came together really well, and my new little SewMor sewed like a champ!

I also had reasons to push this through to “TOP DONE” status ---My lecture was Saturday evening and my topic was string quilting…I wanted to show everyone what the addition of string sashings and string blocks in the border did for this little sampler quilt made with recycled clothing and that lovely solid cheddar with a pop of red here and there.

These are the blocks I made through Randy’s Sow-Along at Barristersblock.  Click the Sow-Along tab at the top of her blog to find the blocks.  The setting is my own, there is no pattern given.

VCQ_Apr2014 154

Look how green my woods are getting!
((Yes, this is the obligatory deck railing photo))

VCQ_Apr2014 156

Likewise, on the deck floor!

You can tell it’s spring in North Carolina, there are all kinds of seed pod things and stuff on the deck and I was too tired and too lazy to sweep it off pre-photo.

VCQ_Apr2014 157

Check out that corner!

Those partial blocks make it so the corner turns the way I want it to.

Now for a backing, a batting and getting in line for some quilting and binding.

I arrived home this afternoon around 2pm – just a 2.5 hour drive home, but boy that last 45 miles or so was killer.  I was SO tired, and my bed at home kept calling to me….30 miles to go….15 miles to go….5 miles to go ---

I left everything in the van, and headed in for a 2.5 hour nap.  I needed it!  It was a ton of fun and I hope it won’t be long before I see these girls again.

This evening Sadie and I went out to explore the neighborhood and get some fitbit steps in.  Guess what has bloomed over the past few days?

VCQ_Apr2014 152

The most gorgeous white azalea bush EVER!!

VCQ_Apr2014 153

Yes!  Spring!

Now I’ll spend the next few days getting ready for Mackinac Island Michigan where high temps will be around 40 degrees.  Nope, not opting for that first pedicure of the season yet even if it was in the 80s here.  Looks like I’ll be wearing my Ugg boots for that ferry ride across the ice to the island!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

26 comments:

  1. Looks good Bonnie loving the border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEP, you made all of the Stringed sashings and corner Square in a squares on QuiltCam too. Nice to see it all laid out. Those Azaleas are pretty. Glad you got to see some spring before heading North again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie - I was wondering what on earth this one would really look like! IT IS WONDERFUL...so lively and cheerful!!! It is a HIT!

    Our azaleas are just now blooming out... the neighborhood waits each Spring to see them...no no, they were really planted and established when we bought the house... I just FEED them.

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mackinac is one of my favorite places in the world. I've been every summer for the last few years. I hope you're able to see some of its beauty even if the temps don't cooperate much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, that quilt is so beautiful, you create such wonderful quilts. I have started collecting shirts, I just love that look. The azaleas are incredible.
    Carole in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:14 PM EDT

    Well done "Cheddar-Plaid Girl" May we all do so well!! The surprise is the border. Who could possibly imagine such a great ending?? Only you! Give Sadie a hug and kiss from Carolyn Barnett!! csbbobbin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:30 PM EDT

    I know it will be cold but you will love Mackinac Island. Wish I could be there but am awaiting the arrival of a new grandson. Rent a bike and ride around Mackinac ( it is about 8 miles) and the scenery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the Island. I grew up going to the island every summer. If you have never been you'll love it. Wish I could go with you. It's an easy ride around the island on bikes or walking it. A lot of history there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilt. What a beautiful labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous quilt, Bonnie. I haven't tired of your string piecing. I love it! Now I'm trying to decide what to do next. The string baskets you posted or make some neutral blocks for a future project. Hmmmmmm.... string are waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ola, adorei esse seu trabalho parabéns

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take your coat and boots and enjoy the island. You will love how glorious and elegant the hotel makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:48 PM EDT

    Oh Bonnie, you are so lucky to be going to Mackinac Island. I'm originally from Michigan's Upper Peninsula and I miss it so much. It was always a treat to go to the big island. Should be a good time to go without the huge summer crowds! You should be able to see some wildflowers. Biking is a lot of fun there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LUVIN the cheddar and that string border really "cools" it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Between the orange fabric and the shirt plaid fabrics this quilt is sew you! It is a wonderful memory of your 50th year! A beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nettie Sebastian5:08 AM EDT

    Another great work of Art ! , I am not working on a new quilt at this time, going Thur some medical issues (again) but I am keeping busy with small stuff you know the kits you can't leave a quilt shop without ,just got to make that it's so cute stuff . Bonnie keep on quilting I'll be checking in on them Thank You for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bonnie. I was just watching Quilting Arts on the Create Channel and your Scrappy Around the World pattern is being made. They are mentioning you and giving you the credit for it. I have made your pattern and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh yes that border so makes that quilt stand out...love the narrow red that stops the action too...another stunner bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can hardly wait for your Mackinaw Island posts. It is a beautiful place but you will definatley need your heavy clothes, it can get cold thereeven in the summer. Enjoy our beautiful paradise, wish I was joining you, I think this is the closest you have been to my part of the states, I live about seven hours south east in lower Michigan.


    Love your cheddar quilt, especially the string pieced border, thanks to you I have done several string pieced projects. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great finish! Loving the border!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great quilt. The string border is lovely. The narrow inner red border holds it all together and really accentuates the pops of red throughout your quilt. Great example of the use of colour for all us blog followers to learn from. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! And no I'm not tired of seeing it or you working on it! The borders are just perfect.
    On a side note, the only white on our 10 acres is pure white snow. It's melting, but still here! Enjoy your green woods!
    Linda Craig

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read this week end that the Coast Guard broke up the ice to the island so the ferry could get through and all the quilters would not have to take the little plane to get there..... It may be 40 degrees but there will be elements of Spring there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My pink azalea has finally bloomed up here in Illinois. You're right -- azaleas = SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh! Love that quilt and the azalea. Ours have just started here in Eastern Washington.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)