>>>>

Sunday, July 07, 2013

iPhone-o-Gram! A Bit of Blue Ridge!




How many are familiar with the old Kingston Trio song "Hang down your head Tom Dooley"?

It turns out this is a true story! The real characters name was Tom Dula – and his story is here on the Blue Ridge Pkwy--Wilkes County was the home of Tom Dula.




The sky cleared enough that we were able to take a short drive on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. – and stop at this overlook to gaze in wonder at the view.




Father and son take in the sight together – it's been a wonderful weekend up here in the mountains!




Jason headed home last night – he has things to do, people to see, and work to tend to – but we sure loved having him up here in the mountains with us and hope he will return again soon!

The rain continues to fall – and we are on our way back to Lowe's yet once again! We are installing a new kitchen sink faucet, and there were some things that we needed that we forgot yesterday.

The sewing room is taking shape – the old green table has been lifted onto bed risers and will become a new cutting table.

I am picking up thumbtacks to text the old tablecloth flannel side out to the walls for use as a design wall.

I hope to get to IKEA this week for a solid wood table for the sewing machines – the plastic folding tables are bouncy bouncy bouncy when trying to sew especially with three machines!

Three machines? Why yes of course! I am having my first sleepover And sew-a-thon!

Karen and Lisa are coming up on Thursday to spend Thursday night. We will spend all day Thursday and all day Friday sewing our brains out!

With love from Buck Mountain –

Bonnie

21 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you!!! You'll have that cabin all fixed up in no time. I'm glad that you've been enjoying the holiday making memories with your family. Have fun with Lisa and Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue ridge. I grew up on the blue ridge through many family vacations

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun, a sleep over with sewing privileges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered talking to Lowes or IKEA about a sponsorship deal? I mean, all the advertising they are getting....and we know it is 100% real coming from you! How great that you will get to have a lovely sleepover/sew-in! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time, even with the rain. There's something shiny in the sky here in southern KY...oh wait, it's the sun! First time I've seen it in several days. I hope you'll get more sunshine at the cabin in the days ahead.

    Myrna in KY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally jealous of the sleepover/slumber/sewing party :) Glad you all are enjoying your time at the cabin..... looks lovely down there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome!! Now you really have a Quiltville & Quiltvilla.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you won't be at Sisters this year but that's a really good reason why not! I'm so happy for you Bonnie and I love the Quiltville and Quiltvilla reference from Kathi above. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is inspiring the way you always jump in and live every moment. I probably would have been many weeks before I got my act together for sewing party, trying to figure out the best set up for everything. I'm getting better at doing without getting bogged down by so much prepping since following you--thank you! I know you're loving your new cabin. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like loads of Quilty Fun for you and your quilty friends!! the views are spectacular!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like fun! I agree with you on the plastic tables. I went to a retreat and they had those same tables with 4 machines on them. You had to sew pretty slow to stop the bounce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting story about Tom Dula - I just googled it. My fathers name was Tom and he was often called Dools or Dooley by his mate because of that song which was popular in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like great fun all round. Hope you and your husband make your new home fit you as well as the other does.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure don't waste any time getting going do you!! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must've missed a post where you named the cabin "Buck Mountain" but it's a great name for it! Glad that you are having fun making it your own!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously on the Tom Dooley? I started singing that song in my head the second you started your post and am amazed I still remember all the words! Love it! Thanks for the heads up ... I'll be out that way in October and that'll be a must see for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun! Enjoy your time with your friends in your new cabin. Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember that song! Used to sing it with my friends as teenagers in the Netherlands in the early sixties!(that makes me really old!)
    Enjoy your beautiful cabin. I keep reading your blogs and learning a lot about quilting. Learned about leaders -and -enders from you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish I was close enough for a sleep/sew over with you. I am coming to the tea talk in Hersey with you. I'll say hello. Used to live in NC in Salisbury.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Makes me homesick. If you like mysteries you might like Sharyn mcCrumb's latest book. Can't remeber the whole title just now but it has Tom Dula in the title.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)