>>>>

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Oh, Say, Can You See??!

This little paper pieced flag block came through my email and I thought you might like it also!  I wish it had come LAST WEEK so I could have done something with it – but it’s something to file away for future use.

It’s VERY cute!  Here’s a link to the free pdf.  It makes a 4” block, but could be easily enlarged!

As for me --- we are up and at it, but there will be no heading to the cabin until I get a binding on a quilt so I have something to stitch on the porch. 

That’s right – it’s a 3 quilt binding weekend!  But that allows me to sit wherever my guys are sitting and participate – except for when I’ll be in the kitchen!

The weather here has been very rainy, and it is supposed to rain on and off today too…..so there will be lots of indoor activity stuff going on.

Remember this backing??

backings 029

I can’t show you the front, it’s for the next book – but it’s quilted!  And trimmed!

It’s always fun for me to see just where blocks are going to end up in the quilting process.  I piece them big, and let the blocks fall where they may.  I lost a bit of that feathered star…that’s the only one I’m sad about…but not that sad!  It’s out of the orphan bin and in a quilt, and that’s all I care about!

backings 030

The other end…

The quilt is so big…I wanted to take pictures out on my deck, but it’s wet because of the rain, so this will have to do.  I really DO LIKE IT!  It’s amazing what quilting will do for something that you are kind of ho-hum about.

backings 031

I love this block!

This is one of the blocks that was gifted to me for my 50th birthday – so happy it is in here amongst my garden of scraps!

backings 028

A close up of the quilting texture on the back….

Believe me, it looks even better on the front!


Have a wonderful memorable holiday weekend, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

24 comments:

  1. I just love the backing - can only hope the front lives up to it (kidding) - enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love it, Bonnie! What a great place to show off all your "leftovers"! Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... the backing looks phantastic!
    I think that the dusty pinks add a lot to all those different blocks. You really chose the right color to use up :)

    I can barely wait to see the front of the quilt in your next book...

    I love your idea to do some handsewing while being with the ones you love... I guess there is no way to spend the weekend any better than that! Now I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the weather will be nice so that you all can sit on the porch and enjoy the rocking chairs that came with the cabin :)

    Have a great holiday weekend and enjoy your "unplugged" time without the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that back!!! Just know the front's gonna be even BETTER! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful first visit to the cabin! And yes I am always so anxious to see how the quilt comes alive after the quilting. This one has such personality too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the back. I would refer to that quilt as reversible. Would be a nice quilt to hang in the spring. Also, if you and the boys have time this weekend and it rains all weekend, The Lone Ranger movie was fun to watch. I was a little leary about going but the boys wanted to and I enjoyed it very much. I know you all do movies occassionally and I wanted to share that with you.
    Enjoy your new cabin.
    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care about the front after seeing the back quilted! LOL I'd prob. use the backside up! LOL
    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous back! Your quilting is awesome as always. Enjoy your holiday at the new cabin with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt. Would you please share the name and source of the panto? Enjoy your weekend at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt back - if I had orphans like that I'd want them on the front - perhaps you could just call it a double sided quilt?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the back. I'd still be THINKING about how I could put all those orphans together and you've got it together and quilted! You are such a motivator. Can't wait to see the front when your next book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the back!!! Can't wait to see the front!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your back of orphan blocks what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the quilting you did. I really like the design. Is it something you freehand or is it a published design?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a TEASE ... the front must be unbelievably beautiful if it is better looking than the backing! Heck I would gladly use the backing as the top of the quilt!

    You did inspire me to use extra blocks and fabrics tomake aup backing. My lastest is being long arm now.

    HAPPY 4TH!!!! Let Freedom Ring!
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the back, can't wait for the front's reveal. Congrats on your new getaway place.

    Colleen in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the back, can't wait for the front's reveal. Congrats on your new getaway place.

    Colleen in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your back is absolutely beautiful! It's hard to believe that the front could possibly be any prettier. But, considering that it's your quilt... I'm sure it will be. I look forward to seeing your new book. Congratulations again on your new cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the backing! Congrats on your closing of the cabin--so happy for you! Happy 4th everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The backing looks great, can't wait for the next book so we can see (and make!) the front! I know I will love it, sight unseen. So glad you have some stitching to do that will let you enjoy your family at your new cabin. You SEW deserve to relax and make some memories! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous5:39 AM EDT

    Hi Bonnie,
    I haven't decided yet what side I prefer... What a good idea to use leftovers. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy for you....the cabin is wonderful!

    And the quilt!...that's the back? Oh, my, the front must be breathtakingly beautiful. Cannot wait to see it!

    Enjoy!...and happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow love the concept of using orphans combined for backing. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)