>>>>

Monday, July 08, 2013

Come Walk Through My Wilderness :)

Side porch view at the cabin!  See the Blue Ridge? ---we moved the flower boxes from the front porch rail so we could SEE our mountain view while enjoying those great porch rockers.  With the flower boxes there, all you saw was box!

The folks that owned the cabin before us were the ones who had it built in 1999.

We are the second residents, and everything has been kept so nice inside, other than a bit of minor updating it feels brand new.  We did not have to paint or re-carpet anything.  It has always been a pet-free, smoke-free home.  And because it was lived in full time, it never got that musty smell that some second homes get in a hot and humid climate.

Some of the cabins we looked at prior to this one….whoooooewwww!  They’d been locked up and vacant for too long, and I don’t know if you could EVER get that sour musty smell out!

The cabin sits on about 1.25 acres, but the best part is that it is on a little peninsula.  No one can build behind us because our land goes to the road in back.  It is also bordered by our road in front…and further up the hill, the folks above us bought the lot above and adjacent to us to stop further building.  We are surrounded by woods and nature.

Yesterday we were graced by a couple of deer that wandered through our yard and down our driveway.

Yes, I know those of you who deal with deer on a regular basis consider them varmints.  They are herbivores that consume every green growing and blooming thing you plant in your gardens – but for us, it was a moment of wonder.  How do such huge creatures just live out there, foraging by night and early morning, and hiding during the day.  Where do they hide??

I took a walk around the property yesterday to take some photos ---the previous owners took such good care of this piece of paradise –the husband is now 88, and his wife in her upper 70s and I have a feeling it was just getting too much to take care of.  They happily moved to Wilmington to be close to grand kids and great grand kids.  It was a happy transaction.


cabin 142


But Nevin loved to putter! He left us a couple of hand carved walking sticks…he made them out here in his outdoor workshop around the back of the house.  Everywhere you look are shady places to sit, whimsical benches made of logs sitting here and there….

cabin 143

And more blooming things than I can ever keep alive!

cabin 144

This tree is there to greet us in our front yard – funny face and all! I think I’ll name him Nevin after the sweet man who sculpted this piece of property into such a wonderful get-away!

cabin 145

Across the mulch-covered yard ((No one really wants to maintain grass up here, so I am happy with the mulch!)) you will find a garden entrance with a cute little gazebo.  I f we can keep the skeeters at bay, I envision a tea party with some friends enjoying the beautiful surroundings!

cabin 147
Behind the gazebo, the walking trail, built by Nevin begins!  Sadie loved walking the winding trail!  The piece of land may be just over an acre, but remember those lines at Disneyland and how they snake around in a very small compact amount of space? Don’t let the size of the land make you think this is a very short trail! It winds in and around through the woods.

cabin 146

The grandkids even had a 6ft by 6ft tree house!  I told the guys they better behave or they would find themselves banished to the tree house..LOL!  I can hear the sound of children’s laughter all around this place so loved by the Brewers.

cabin 148

Little log benches along the trail beckon you to slow down and enjoy the surroundings.

Got bug spray?!

cabin 149

The pathway is rimmed by logs and limbs found on the land.  You can just make out the road behind us here.  There are only 2 homes on the road behind.  I met one of the couples the other day –—great folks!  They live down by Fort Lauderdale, Florida and only come up a few times a year.  Many of the homes in here are vacation homes.  We are the lucky ones – living close by enough that we can enjoy it on a moment’s notice.  I am so happy that I don’t have to drive all the way from Florida to spend time up here!

cabin 150

You can sit here too!

cabin 151

But we are not done wandering yet!

My friends Lisa & Karen are coming up for the inaugural quilting party ---Lisa is bringing Shelby, her Shitzu!  I think Shelby is going to love this little trail! Sadie sure did this past weekend…nose to the ground….doggy bliss!

cabin 152

This weathered sign can’t be read anymore..but there are little signs and fun things all along the trail!

cabin 153

Ha!  A piece of wood that looks like an “owl hawk” put up to entertain the grand kids!

cabin 154

Uhoh!  Low clearance!  Be sure to bow down to get through here!

cabin 155

But don’t stop yet, we haven’t made the complete circle!

cabin 156

Interesting knots and burls of wood hang in whimsy!

cabin 157

Can you see why I am in love?  Peace dwells here.

cabin 158

We have gone almost all the way around – here is the back of the tree house.

Don’t you wish you were 10 years old again?

cabin 159

Just a bit more….

cabin 160

And we reach the back of the gazebo ----back across the yard and up those stairs to the upper front porch.

cabin 161

But you just might want to sit a spell on the lower level porch swing or see what is grilling for supper!

The sewing area is on the bottom left where the double windows are…..I am so excited for all the noise and laughter and chatter that will be happening there later this week!

cabin 162

Daylily bed wired off from the deer

July is usually “Deep Into Mystery Planning” time for me….and I will be working on our November Mystery during the next several months…as well as cranking a book out and getting it ready for next Spring’s release date!  So many exciting things happening around Quiltville, and now at “Quilt Villa!”

Remember, Quilt-Cam is planned for Wednesday night at 9pm Eastern.  As it turns out, it was not the laptop that wouldn’t hold a charge – it was the power CORD that stopped charging!  So we are back up and running again.

Have a great Monday, Everyone!  I feel relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to hit this day with a happy vengeance!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

64 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Bonnie! What a haven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bonnie, I sure can see why you are so excited! I was excited just reading your blog and seeing those wonderful photos ... and I live on a gorgeous small lake in the Adirondacks of New York State. If I didn't live on a lake, I'd certainly want a piece of property like your new one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanctuary! What a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so lucky to have found this place! that trail is so neat - you will have to work to keep it maintained though - just think how things grow - you will have fun walking the trail every visit and looking at things. Eventually grandchildren for the tree house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful visual backyard tour. Looks like you found a perfectly wonderful retreat for your family! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your place looks lovely! Sewing with friends is one of the happiest things I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the pictures!

    The guy who lived in our house before us built a similar trail through the backyard woods for the neighborhood kids. It wasn't very long, but he'd take the boys on nature walks. The kids have grown up now, and I'm slowly taming the brush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I could live happily in a place like this for the rest of my life, and just let the rest of the world roll by...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are absolutely correct, this is a perfect haven for family, friends (quilters) ! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! It looks like the absolute perfect place! I love that he made so many fun little surprises along that trail. Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tribute to Nevin and his family you showed us. I hope they get to see it too. I can see why you fell in love with this place. Enjoy and live a long healthy life there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks heavenly! Can we park our camper in your woods?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were so lucky to find such a great, well cared for place. Enjoy it to the hilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy for you. A peaceful place to go to between your flights around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love your Quilt Villa! It is great that it's so accessible to your family that you'll be able to make lots of use of it....am sure there will be lots of family memories made there for years to come! Thanks for sharing the picture tour! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow... fabulous. And one can see the love that the original owners had for this home. Enjoy many years there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The place is gorgeous!!!!! So glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, This Is Certainly a Blessing For You & The Family. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, This Is Certainly a Blessing For You & The Family. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG we are never going to get you away from there. lol Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like the perfect spot to recharge from a hectic life. So wonderful that you found it. I just love rustic whimsy, even made a bent willow chair once.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a wonderful place! the original owners obviously loved it and their energy and love will always be there! You could have a lot of fun adding to what Nevin has done on that walk. With all your travelling, I'm sure you could find fun things to add here and there. It's a true blessing and I'm sure the original owners are happy that the people that now own it love and respect it as much as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like paradise for you and your loved ones! Congratulations and I'm glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. a blissful retreat....you and your family are blessed, bonnie! may all who visit find that same peace....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very Awesome but I just worry about one thing...SNAKES...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thought about you this past weekend as we drove from Eliz. City, NC through VA to WV to southwestern Ohio. The part of the Blue Ridge that we drove through was absolutely breathtaking. I just love this part of the country and can see why you are in heaven!! Funny thing, my granddaughters live in Wilmington. Enjoy your time in the mountains - you deserve the rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG I really enjoyed the walk through the woods this morning with my coffee in hand :). I am going to be working on a reversible quilt that I will use for my sewing room window curtain. I will use the light blocking fabric and make a separate piece that will keep the sun from fading my quilt curtain and when I want light I just slide it to the side. I plan on being with you wed. night. Oh Also I got my book the other day Leaders & Enders and when I was sewing the curtain squares I also have a bigger simple quilt to make so I sewed some squares together for that between the curtain squares and sewing the rows together and I could not believe how much of a head start I have gotten on the other quilt. You ROCK girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok - I'm thinking that would be a very hard place to leave! I'm fairly certain I would be looking for every opportunity to sneak up there and then extend my stay and before long, I would be there full time. So happy y'all found the perfect place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was wonderful Bonnie! Thanks for the virtual tour. lol I can see why you love it so much. Hope you spend many, many happy years here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Bonnie! What a fantastic place. I knew the cabin was perfect for you but had no idea the grounds were also so spectacular. I'm so happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks lovely Bonnie! A real treasure in the forest!
    Now, will you need to water the patted plants? How will that work with you not living there full time?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tanks, Bonnie...I enjoyed the tour of your new home-away-from-home! I can see why you were excited.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful back yard to recharge the batteries in! I hope you get lots of time to spend with family and friends in your new cabin. By the tone of this entry the magic of the cabin worked and you are rested and ready to live life to the fullest once again. I am so happy for you all. Keep smiling. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bonnie, you have bought yourself a piece of heaven. The view of the Blue Ridge Mountains - priceless. My parents built a similar place years ago in the Ozarks. They sold it when they had to move to a senior apartment. It was only a three hour drive from St. Louis so we could get there easily. And I believe you are correct in thinking that the previous owners of your new "cabin" felt it had become too much for them to take care of. Same story with my parents. Wonderful that it has new owners who will also treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely love your little path through the woods. It's a little like heaven, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well, that is just wonderful! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG - you guys really found a piece of paradise. I bet the previous owners were really sad to leave that place. There is a lot of love there for sure. The "nevin" tree looks the one from the Wizard of Oz. Hope he doesn't throw apples at you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So happy for you and your family! As I was looking at the pictures, I was thinking about how creative the past owner was and how wonderful that another creative family has taken over and will love the property as much as they did. Thanks for sharing.....
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for taking us on a walk around your property! It is wonderful!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a treasure! Enjoy all that blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. perfection....thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful place, you were so lucky to find it. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just beautiful.. Now you have two beautiful home retreats. Thank you for the wonderful tour. Blessings for your new home.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just beautiful.. Now you have two beautiful home retreats. Thank you for the wonderful tour. Blessings for your new home.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  46. as much as I would love a cottage at the beach you have me convinced that the mts are just as wonderful! LOL Reminds me of my family's days camping in the mts of NC, Tn and Va as a kid!
    Enjoy your wonderful retreat and as you say it is wonderful that it will be in use so much of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am so happy --- The other owners are probably thrilled a "nice young couple" will be loving the cabin as much as they did. What a hard place to part with, but it is in good hands.
    Smilies
    JuieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  48. Simply stunning and so relaxing. Enjoy all the moments that you can.
    Thanks for sharing your "Quilt Villa" I am in awe. Congrats. Hope you can make it up every chance you get.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you so much for the guided tour, I am filled with gladness that you have your little piece of heaven and just a teeny bit of jealousy.
    Your trail reminds me of a bush walk that I did in Australia a few years ago, without the spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a wonderful place to renew ones spirit! There will be many days and nights of laughter and love for years to come , I am sure...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Awe. A little bit of heaven.
    Awesome that it was the power cord.
    See you Wed.
    Kathleen from San Juan

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a blessed piece of Heaven on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  53. A FANTASTIC tour! Thank you I loved how you presented the trail walk of love. I have two great grandsons here and one almost here so am making three quilts for them like you made for your new nephews. Life is easier now that I have learned so much about color from you Thank you. I love one of my sisters choice and will be looking for your books now. These last two months following your blog has filled my life with you as a new found friend which I needed as I will soon lose my husband to cancer. We are blessed as he has very little pain and I have you for a friend. Thank you for all you do for us quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  54. You are definitely blessed with that little piece of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I am so happy for you. What a perfect retreat. I can just image a Christmas tree, snow on the evergreens, Bonnie sitting in a rocker and hand sewing the binding on a quilt. I think this should be on your Christmas card!

    Have you decide if, or should I say which, quilts you will be displaying?

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a wonderful tour! Love it. I have a place I visit once a year that feels like that. The minute I drive in, I feel a sense of calmness. I imagine your new place must feel like that for you. Congratulations on your new retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a wonderful place Bonnie! Thanks for the lovely walk. Enjoy your new retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I certainly CAN see why you're in love. It's the stuff dreams are made of. I'm so thrilled for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  59. i adore it. a almost taste of home for me, since I lived/born to the Hunter family in KY. this makes me yearn for home. just think Bonnie of all the discoverys that await you and the history of the place, when Indians made home on that land or walked it. How interesting and wonderful fo ryou and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh, how lovely. I guess I could be there by supper, if I really try. Enjoy your time there with friends. I'm sure you'll all have a truly delightful time. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thanks for the beautiful walk in your woods, I love your place it looks so peaceful and I know that you will find such peace there. Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thanks for the beautiful walk in your woods, I love your place it looks so peaceful and I know that you will find such peace there. Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  63. Absolutely Gorgeous!!! I love your escape house!! When are you moving in full time is the next question..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  64. What a beautiful get-away! You are so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)