>>>>

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Jamestown Landing Day in Hershey PA!

Troopers, everyone!

There was not a slacker in the bunch as we spent the morning working on the alternate string blocks and went full force into the afternoon session of working on half square triangles using the Easy Angle ruler!

Of course, if someone has another favorite method they are welcome to use it.

What matters is that your units measure the size they are supposed to measure before they are sewn into the block.

And get those dog ears trimmed off of there!

Do you check your unit size after sewing a seam?  Try it.  It might surprise you.  If it is too small, your seam allowance has got to skinny down a bit.  If your units are too big and you are constantly sliver trimming down….fatten that seam up just a hair.  Do whatever it is you need to do to save yourself valuable time – and headaches along the way.

Jamestown landing has 840 half square triangles.  ((But who’s counting?!?)) Do you REALLY want to sew big and sliver trim down 840 units?

People always ask me how I get so much done….not  having to spend hours sliver trimming is one of those helps that means more productivity for me.

As a special treat, a former student from my visit in April brought her completed Jamestown Landing top to share, and let us borrow it during class time as inspiration on a different color way…take a look at this:

Hershey_PA2013 152

Red Background!

Hershey_PA2013 153

Close up!

This became a bit of a design wall project, as some red/blue half square triangles were required along with blue/white units to make the red string path continuous….what a neat effect!

Hershey_PA2013 162

Jamestown Landing in blue/neutral
((Okay, this looks really boring to me now! LOL!))

Of course, Jamestown Landing is featured in my book String Fling, and you can order a signed copy from me HERE.

Great fun slide show of student activity – it was a really nice day ---if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device, click the image below to be taken directly to the photo album.
Jamestown Landing, Hershey, PA 2013

Day Four is about to begin -- and it's POUNDING RAIN outside!  And -- guess where my display quilt is? IN MY CAR!  I put it there after Show and Tell last night because I didn't have the key to unlock my class room on me....thinking I would just pick it up on the way to class.

Guess who is about to get drenched?!

It's only water -- I won't melt ---and we will wrap up Quilt Odyssey 2013 with a bang...


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. That red color way is simply breathtaking. This is on my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the original blue & neutral Jamestown Landing, and it's the one I have started, but that RWB one is stunning. Sounds like all of you have been having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always impressed by the various ways people choose to interpret your designs. No one way is "better" than another way - they are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun to see the class photos. I'm in the process of putting my rows together for JL. I love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Jamestown, New York, so I need to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that version with the red strings :)

      Delete
  6. always amazing how same pattern done in different colorway looks sooo different and all are gorgeous! thanks for showing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this pattern -- this looks like a good use of some guild stash fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)