>>>>

Sunday, March 15, 2015

On the Oldie but Goodie side!

20150306_130316
Can you tell these are ginormous hexie baskets?

We had quite a bit of vintage show and share at our workshops at Country Crossroads in Orange Park, Florida ---and I saved their photos for a special show and share all of their own –they deserve it!

Today seemed to be the best day to relax and post them all.

Oh dear, it’s been two weeks and I am going to forget names ---Vickie? Veronica? Oh, forgive me…it starts with a V, that much I know…is hiding behind the quilt on the left.  You can just see her head peeking out behind the far left top basket.  This is a family quilt, one her mother or grandmother started, but evidently didn’t know where to stop or how to finish it because it is still NOT DONE.

So much patience..what looks like large white areas, are all pieced from solid white hexagons, and V has memories of this quilt being worked on when she was young.

I love family pieces like this.  Sometimes they don’t even need to be finished.  They are done as is.  These are the kinds of things that I call “folders” ---just fold it to display the best part and put it on a shelf or a quilt rack – somewhere visible where you can touch the stitches of those long gone and remember. 

Not everything is better finished!

20150306_130436

Grandmother’s quilt!

20150306_130453

Close up!

What a feat of piecing and scrap bag color!

20150307_124433

Marcia’s string quilt!

Marcia brought in a whole stack of vintage quilts to share with us ---since we were in the midst of our Crumbs Crumbs Crumbs workshop – this one was very appropriate!  Check out these fabrics:

20150307_124442

1930s scrap bag!

Love those polka dots!

20150307_124542

Jewel Stars, Also 1930s!

20150307_124621

And this one blew us all away --
1930s postage stamp…pieces so tiny!

20150307_124631

Check it out!

Think about it…this was not strip pieced.  These squares were cut individually with a template, pencil and scissors.  Seams do not match in many places, but our quilter was not concerned about that..it’s the over all mosaic appearance of the design that matters.

The maker very effectively used purple and pink as defining rows, and then filled in the colored area with every scrap imaginable.  All hand pieced.  STUNNING!

20150307_133408

1920s Crazy Quilt Blocks!

These blocks were so beautiful, and so fragile!  Gifted by a neighbor, Marcia talked to us about what she would like to do with them.  These can not be made into a quilt.  Silks are shattering all over the place, but perhaps a couple of the best blocks can be saved and framed acid free for preservation.  The others?  Just carefully stored and used as a reference of stitches and fabrics from that era. 

Not all quilts can, should or need to be finished!  The best way to preserve these delicate blocks is to layer them with acid free paper and save them in a climate controlled environment.

I’ve uploaded the blocks into a slide show so you can see the detail of each one.  Watch for the egyptian motifs in several of the fabrics, that helped us date the blocks. 

There is also a very small red cross patch appliqued onto one block – a symbol from WWI.  See if you can spot it!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Marcia's 1920s Crazy Quilt Blocks, March 2015



Last evening we had a group dinner over at a friend’s house –it was a an F night!  Loads of FOOD, FUN & FARKLE! 

It was a great evening out – I’m glad we did it, but it wore me out something fierce, and I was straight to bed by the time we got home.

On the recoup-ing front here yesterday:

20150314_135435

I cut hexies!

The variety of reds and neutrals was running desperately low in my busy bag, and I fly again on Tuesday to Oklahoma…so I restocked.  Happy to see those nearly “vintage” fabrics find a place and be gone!  I now have lots more variety to play with.

For those asking, I cut from 2.5" strips, stacked up 8 layers high, tracing a template with a pigma pen to the top layer, and cutting through all layers at once with scissors. Since these are for English paper piecing, they only have to be rough cut, not perfect.

You can find more info in my Hexagon Tutorial found under the Tips & Techniques tab at the top of the blog.

20150314_150703

This section is done…..

20150314_145955

Ready to be added here!

((This leaves only two more fill in sections! Hooray!))

20150314_152415

Feet up and adding this satellite to the “Mother Ship!”

I was here in my chair, just like I promised ---taking it easy and stitching away.  On the telly:  Fisher’s Murder Mysteries on Netflix.

Every day I get a bit better, but this was a rough one –cough is still present.  The bronchitis has my voice rough and deep and there is still an elephant, albeit a smaller one sitting on my chest.  I’m doing everything I can to get past this.  Lots of rest, lots of fluids, and this thing will soon be past me.

One restful Sunday, coming up!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. I hear ya...this cold or whatever is persistent! Feeling lots better but that cough won't go away!Being able to sleep through the night has helped greatly. Enjoy your relaxing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to suggest this, but it might take more than one round of antibiotics to knock this, or you might need another type. I hate taking antibiotics but suggest this because you don't want a relapse. We care about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM EDT

    Bonnie, You need another dose of meds. I had it once before. This is Valerie and it was my mother's hexagon quilt. You have inspired me to keep some foldies. Enjoyed you and your class. Much love till we meet again. I have others and will send you pictures. lavnek@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had what my doctor just referred to as "The Crud" in January. Like you, it made me sicker than I can remember being and left me drained. Please take care of yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at your Turkey Trot workshop in Tampa. At the time on my 5th day of antibiotics. 2 days after finishing up the Rx, I had a relapse that required a second round of antibiotics and steroids. This crud is super strength. Hope you kick it soon. Be careful that you don't pick up a new germ flying next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be in my old stompin' grounds in Oklahoma! My husband went to school at Oklahoma State. I've spent many a weekend in Stillwater. Hope you have a chance to eat at Eskimo Joe's. Please post a picture of you in one of their famous t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that crud is still hanging on. Not exactly the Florida souvenir we wanted to send home with you :(
    On a happy note...just when I am thinking the party is over...another surprise blog from our Wonderful weekend together....beautiful pics and great slide show! Happy quilters are we! Sending Thanks and Healing Hugs from the sunshine state :)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:36 PM EDT

    Oh Bonnie! You touched my heart again! "just fold it to display the best part and put it on a shelf or a quilt rack – somewhere visible where you can touch the stitches of those long gone and remember." I received a quilt from my brother yesterday which our Grandma had made. His house had been broken into, with "stuff" taken. The quilt had been taken out of it's box, and tossed to the side. He would rather send it to a safe place than keep it himself. I will find a place for this quilt in my sewing room, and do as you suggest!

    Catherine in SW Indiana
    csimmons2100@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a mother/grandmother again. Get checked by your doctor if you can before you leave home again.
    End mother advice
    As a Bonnie fan I am always so impressed with your projects and those of ours that you post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These vintage quilts were worth the wait!
    I like the term, "folders". Better than "quilt top" or the British, "flimsy". "Folders" it is! Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marcia Richardson5:32 AM EDT

    Thanks for posting the vintage shoots of those crazy quilt blocks I brought in. Makes me appreciate them more knowing the age and that just loving them is showing respect to them as I cant put them into a quilt top. I also love that you refer to old unfinished tops as folders.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)