>>>>

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Boxy Stars on a Tulsa Afternoon!

img1426882007243
Busy, Busy, Sew, Sew, Sew!

Our afternoon Boxy Stars workshop with the Green Country Quilters of Tulsa Oklahoma was an absolute blast!

I absolutely love that this class comes with pre-cutting instructions so that all the pieces for each block quarter are cut, baggied, and ready to go.

When the first two square pieces of the first block quarter are sewn, we press and measure to make sure that the seam allowance is where it needs to be.

With the first seam we know!

Two 2.5” squares sewn and pressed should give you a measurement of 4 1/2”, not 4 3/8”, not 4 5/8”!

Always press and measure your UNIT SIZE, do not ever just measure the seam allowance because that doesn’t tell you anything.  It doesn’t take into consideration the thickness of your fabric, the thickness of your thread, or even how you CUT your fabric.  The seam allowance is ALWAYS variable, and its job is to give you the correct unit size.

We sew by UNIT size!

And we had SEW. MUCH. FUN!

20150320_145447

Best Buds and trouble-makers!

Jackie and Jackie sitting together, both dressed in yellow!

What a hoot these two were!

20150320_145059

And then there are THESE renegades who drove over 3 hours to get here!

20150320_152807

Sewing Away!

20150320_152936

Happy fun blocks as reward!

You'll find the free pattern for Boxy Stars under the Free Patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Half day classes always go too quickly for me!  But we have so many fun photos in our slide show so you can feel like you were part of our day too.

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.

Boxy Stars, Tulsa, OK 2015



After dinner I had a few hours to set up in the little corner of my room and relax and unwind by putting some pieces through the machine myself:

20150320_204547

Setting up housekeeping!

I moved the small table a bit away from the wall so I could tuck the ironing board to the side, set at table height.

Ironing boards make great extended table space when needed!

I also moved the floor lamp so I had a bit more light where I needed it.  It’s off to the side of the table.  Floor lamps do not take up precious small table space.

20150320_204627

Sewing H blocks with nothing really good on tv on a Friday night.

20150320_212948

Biycles and polka dots – perfect!

The internet here has been pretty crappy as well, so everything internet wise has been from the hot spot on my phone and I’m trying to conserve data usage, so netflix was out for the night as well.  At this point I found some movie just to play as background noise while I concentrated on these:

20150321_060217

A plethora of H blocks!

Today’s workshop is Scrappy Mountain Majesties –and it’s going to be a full and fun day!

This class also has instructions for everyone to come with pairs of dark and light 8 1/2” squares ready to sew – we’ll have blocks appearing in no time.

Also!  Before I forget -- did you know that The Quilt Show with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson is FREE this weekend?  You can even get MY episode by clicking THIS LINK!

Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone – hopefully you will find some time to stitch SOMETHING today!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy National Quilting Day, Everyone! Here in St. Louis it's full speed ahead as we open our biennial quilt show this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making Boxy Stars. Thanks for your Fun TQS link. I enjoyed it when it first showed on TQS. Nice to hear your voice teaching Alex and Ricky about your L/E and Scrap Users systems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking the *H* blocks so much. My last name starts with H also and I think this is going to be one of those on the todo list! :) Thanks for everything you do to inspire us Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your boxy stars pattern. Just finished one as an eye spy baby quilt. The new mother loves it. Thanks for the pattern. I also loved watching you make it on quilt cam :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! I got to see your episode on TQS yesterday. I smiled the entire episode. They should have you back. I might watch the episode might again today. I'm even thinking of renewing my membership, but maybe not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

  6. This is very informative post for us ad thanks for sharing.
    Dignity College of Healthcre
    "Quality online healthcare education"
    Become a nationally certified professional!
    We work with you to success.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)