>>>>

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Cruisin to Memory Lane Quilt Shop!

20141016_090936-1
Bright and shiny yellow, California style!

I took this photo of “The Thing” by Volkswagen on our last morning in El Cajon –driving to our workshop at Memory Lane Quilts!

I absolutely love the color of this sweet ride, and it reminds me so much of my jr high and high school years growing up in San Jose and having Santa Cruz a short drive away over the mountain.  Things were coveted for their friend hauling and surf board toting ability.  Buckets of fun, and ugly enough to be cute!

We don’t see these in North Carolina – at least not in the midlands where I live.

We lost this guy at the light when we turned left and made our way to class!


20141016_091544

Our workshops were here!  At Memory Lane Quilt Shop!

20141016_094931

Oh boy!  Loads of room to move around and tons to explore!

20141016_094951

Bolts and Bundles & Loads of Samples!

20141016_095008

Walls of wonder!

20141016_095059

And even a treadle!

It didn’t have a belt or I surely would have sat down to give her a hello and a how-do-you-do!

20141016_095114

Batiks, moderns, reproductions – everything under the sun!

20141016_095144

I dare you not to pet the fabric!

20141016_095335

Easy Grab-a-Yard pieces already cut!

20141016_115442

Upcoming 2 day workshop with Guest Teacher Linda Schmidt!

I know my photos from my phone do not do this quilt justice, but I wanted to let you know while I was talking about Memory Lane Quilt Shop that they have Linda Schmidt coming on Nov 8th and Nov 9th for a special workshop, Creating with Cool Stuff.  Linda was voted the 2003 Teacher of the Year and it is easy to see why!

20141016_115458

My hand for scale!

In this class you will make a 17” X 22” piece of art with depth and dimension! 

Think waterfall, rocks, and trees using all sorts of cool stuff.  Check out Linda’s Website to explore some of the unusual tools she uses to create with.  The results are amazing!

20141016_115319

Roaring Waterfall!

20141016_115329

Close up of bird detail!

20141016_115351

Gorgeous!

20141016_095231

Contact Memory Lane Quilt Shop for more info!

Space is limited, and Nov 8th is close approaching so don’t wait too long!

I had a great time the two days I taught at Memory Lane.  Nice fun staff, gorgeous fabrics, samples EVERYWHERE you look, and a great classroom filled with awesome students!  Definitely a “Do Not Miss” if you are anywhere near the San Diego, California area.


I’m off to Texas this morning!  I’ll be arriving in Dallas by 11:30am, where I’m being picked up curbside with all of my mega luggage and shuttled over to Mineola where I”ll be giving three days of workshops for Stitchin’ Heaven!


This is a fun trip for me because I lived in near by Sulpher Springs from June 1999 to July 2000, and Stitchin Heaven has a retreat bunkhouse that my stitching group used to go retreating!  It was at this bunkhouse that I finished my first Dear Jane quilt top in 2001.  This is me then – I posted this photo on instagram on Oct 11th for the photo a day challenge!  I don’t think I’ve changed much, do you?

But it sure feels like “you’ve come a long way baby” to be going back in this capacity and actually TEACHING for the folks at Stitchin’ Heaven.

And Big Smith’s BBQ!  That is definitely on my list of must do’s ---haven’t been there since we moved away!  When we moved, they didn’t have a website.  Guess what – THEY DO NOW

Texas BBQ is by far the best…but BBQ BEEF ribs top it all!

Catch you from Texas!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

5 comments:

  1. Saw an old (there aren't any new ones) near Hendersonville, NC this week. It had a for sale sign of $7000. It was at a restaurant named Hubba Hubba (really great barbeque).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took a class from Linda Schmidt at PQIF...wonderful. I learned so much...she really gives you a lot of information. I can't wait to finish my project.
    Have fun Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fun and safe trip in Texas. I use to live near Texas in Clovis New Mexico. LOVED it there

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how small a world it is!
    I grew up in SJ/Sunnyvale/Cupertino, and also remember driving 'over the hill' to Santa Cruz and many fun days on the Boardwalk! I get to go back occasionally to visit family that live in Santa Cruz now. What fun!
    And now I live in Austin TX - love love love it here!
    Been a fan of yours for several years and follow your scrap system faithfully!
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)