>>>>

Friday, October 17, 2014

Scrap Crystals with the Sunshine Quilters!

20141016_115759-1
Meet Don and Bill!  Two fabulous quilters who got involved with quilting because their wives also quilt!

From what I gather, the husbands even maintain their own stashes apart from that of the wives – and the quilts that come from the hands of these gentleman bless the lives of so many others through the Prayers & Squares group they run.

It was a lot of fun to spend the day with these two “Roosters” and the other ladies in class enjoyed the camaraderie as well!

Don’t you love the black background with the multi-colored batiks shown here in Don’s block?

20141016_153808

Here is the block finished!

20141016_152705

Bill’s first block quarter!

Our girls were getting a lot done too!

20141016_141034

Pressing and Trimming duty!

20141016_155647

Sandi and Kerri showing off their blocks!

Each Scrap Crystals block has 96 pieces including 32 half square triangles that finish at 1.5” – didn’t they do great?

You’ll find the pattern for Scrap Crystals in my book MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders.  Click the book image in the left side bar to order a signed copy!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.
Scrap Crystals, El Cajon, CA 2014




After workshop dinner at Indigo Grill in downtown San Diego!

20141016_175832

What a way to enjoy the last bit of a great trip!
((And no, I didn’t eat that red Thai pepper!! too hot!))

I’m sitting here typing this post in the Atlanta airport…..I managed a meager 2.5 hours sleep on my red eye flight…there WILL be a big nap this afternoon!  But first I have to make it through the next 3 hours of layover before my next flight to Greensboro boards.

Is it possible to say that I didn’t even baste a single hexie this trip home?  And that I will be sleeping in the passenger seat of the van all the way to Wilkesboro when I land?  And that I will be going straight to bed once we arrive at Quilt Villa? 

And can you believe that I’m not even planning much machine work this weekend?  I’ve got a hexie section to add – I’ve got a binding and a hanging sleeve to fix on a couple of trunk show quilts.  There is one quilt that NEEDS a hanging sleeve because it never had one.

I think I’m calling this one a hand work only weekend…with mandatory feet up in my comfy chair at the cabin.

I’m thinking our best bet for Quilt-Cam will be Tuesday evening at 9pm EST.  More info to follow on that, but I’m pretty sure that will work.

Next post from the cabin ---


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:17 AM EDT

    Get some much deserved rest. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us. I'm grateful to be able to visit all your travels with you.
    Sandy Royal
    materialgal@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travel safe. Sleep tight. & catch you on quilt cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:24 AM EDT

    But, Bonnie, the World Series starts on Tuesday night! Decisions, decisions. LOL. Have a safe trip home. See you Tuesday night (or maybe Wednesday morning.) BTW, my daughter really loves your book that I gave her. She was really impressed that you signed it. She doesn't have a computer so hasn't seen your blog, etc.
    Barb in SD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie,
    Roosters Don and Bill want to thank you for putting up with us in your class. You are and awesome teacher and your high energy is contagious. We enjoyed every minute of it and are already planning to make it to your next class when you come anywhere in California. Thank you again for sharing your gift of quilting. If it were not for you, there would be a lot of little pieces of fabric in the trash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about Bill and Don. I have a brother that wants to learn to quilt when he retires.
    Batiks and black are one of my favorite combos. You just can't go wrong with that, I say! : )
    Fun to see Sandi in your photo, along with her friend, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:01 PM EDT

    Ooooo - I love Don's block! Are they engineers? Way to go guys keep up the great work!
    Anne famarsaw@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been out like a light and snoring on that flight if I had been half as busy as you over the last week and a half. Hope you have a fun and relaxing weekend at Quilt Villa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so I must have Grand Illusion on the brain! The Scrap Crystal blocks that were made in pink, black, and white made me think, "oooh, those would be great Grand Illusion fabrics!" and then the Indigo Grill building was Grand Hotel awning yellow!!! I guess you could say I'm excited. I must say that the Scrap Crystal Blocks are so cool, it's like a rob Peter to pay Paul type of design...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun trip! I enjoy the photos you share!! Thinking of fabrics for The Grand Illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems there has always been guys who like to quilt, and evwen those who enjoy handwork like needlepoint. A HUGE football player 9Rosie Greer) loved needlepoint. HURRRRRAH for them.

    I do like the idea of the hubby and wife having 2 different stashes. OH GLORIANNA, what would happen to the person who raided my own stash! I will let folks take just about anything from it, and have to be asked, plus be with them when they do.

    Like having someone go through your lingerie drawer or something akin :)... am I nuts or what? Probably! :)

    Smiles,
    JUlieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  12. now I know what to do with all those 1 1/2" HST left from Celtic Solstice! thanks so much for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband quilts and sews as well.He started because he watched me making quilts and thought he would like to try.He has made bags ,cushions,quilts,and christmas stockings.He chooses completely different colours and patterns,so there is no danger of us using each others stash.
    I love reading your posts,enjoy your rest.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)