>>>>

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Like Daughter, Like Mother!

Idaho_May2014 042
During a trip to Minnesota a couple of years ago, I introduced my mom to the wonders of English paper piecing, and she has taken it and run with it, leaving me in the dust!

You know how they say, “What goes around, comes around?”

I learned my love of fabric and sewing from my mom who taught me how to sew clothing in my junior high years.

I love that I have been able to hook her on quilting in her retirement years!

If what you see here looks vaguely like words…..you are right!

Look at the big picture:

Idaho_May2014 041

Life Words by my mom!

I love how this is growing---she showed it to me for the first time last night.  She wanted the words to be free form, and free flowing – not in rows across but just here, there and everywhere.  Isn’t this fun how this is coming together?

Idaho_May2014 040

Shifted so you can see the cascading LOVE!

There are more words that are going to appear in here, and we had some fun talking last night of words that embody what it was like growing up in our family.  Being that mom is a consummate gardener, I know that the word GROW is going to be in here somewhere ---because we not only grow gardens, but we have grown in love as a family too ---personal growth as well as plant growth.  Sweet fruit!

Idaho_May2014 112

Mom’s footstool!

Touches of mom’s handwork are everywhere…like daughter, like mother!  This was an old needlepoint footstool I remember growing up with – threadbare, and having seen better days, mom recovered it with some hexies ----we both LOVE RED, can you tell?

Idaho_May2014 113

My project on mom’s couch!

The last time I was here three years ago, mom’s hexie quilt was still in progress.  Today it is finished and graces the back of the loveseat.  It’s a “throw” size, and perfect for snuggling with. 

Our shared love of red is evident in my project in progress…I need SIX sections of the large diamond arrangement you see here…I’ve still got a long way to go, but it isn’t a race and I just keep plugging along at it, one stitch at a time, one hexie at a time.

We had a run around day today!  A few yard sales, wandered a few shops, had lunch out, enjoyed the beautiful scenery.  We are BBQing out tonight and will likely wind down our Saturday with some popcorn by the tv and more hexie stitching.

My word for this weekend: RELAX.  Boy, do I need it!

Have a great evening, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

33 comments:

  1. So glad you are getting to spend some quality time with your family. You definitely need a break from the everyday crazy life you lead. I love the projects you and your Mom are working on and have finished. My Mom blames me for her quilt addiction too. Blessings for the weekend and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahoffman17@hotmail.com7:58 PM EDT

    Bonnie do you perver using the papers or Linda'printing on fabric?

    I enjoy hand sewing, but am stuck trying to decide which to use.

    Thanks in advance and and another thank you for all you share with us.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect weekend to me. Thank you for sharing your moments. Love both of your hexi projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your getting time of R N R with your family. love, love your mom s project great job. look n like you ve created an quilt addit.
    Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Hexie treasures almost make me want to start on Hexies...I think I love your Mom does she need another adult daughter? Have a wonderful visit & give her a big hug from us for giving us YOU.
    May,Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. hexies are definitely addictive...especially since they're so portable. I have some with me this trip! Love your Mom's designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow; you are two of a kind!! I hope mom is making her own templates too. I bought a punch by FISKARS XL = 1" hexi. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, and they are for sale at Walmart.com and Joann's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:36 PM EDT

    Did Mom recognize you with your new hair do? I think it's very attractive on you.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:46 PM EDT

    Your mom is doing a great job. It's fun to have a common love of a craft with a sibling or your mom.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    connie
    cbquilts345@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love reading about your time with you mom. I am now learn to English paper piece and it's addicting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is doing great work! You better pick up the pace! HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,
    I'm from Minn too. Grew up in NE Mpls. Where's your mom? I have one uncle, my sister and brother there still, and we're planning a family get-together there the end of July. We're flying in our daughter and SIL and the most-gorgeous 3-yr old granddaughter for the event and our SIL from NY will be there too. Family - so important. Maybe that word should be in MOm's hexies too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moms words are pieces of brilliant inspiration! I Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I just love the random words! What a wonderful idea!! Beautiful work and LOVE the red!! Have a wonderful visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat! I love her 'way' with words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, it's so good to have this time with your mother--3 years is so long. AND I do believe you and your mother should collaborate on a book because her hexie designs are truly wonderful! Enjoy the rest of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so terrific! Happy to KNOW where you get your talent from ...she has to be an inspiration!!!! She is now a real Hex-aholic!

    I have quilted since 1966 - 2 daughters.... who haven't quilted. That is until NOW!!!! One of our girls has turned into a quilter, and a very good one. Both girls learned to sew at a very young age. They have always made all kinds of things.... but to have at least one of them making QUILTS....OHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOWWWWWWWWWW....

    And she is the daughter who lives in the same town as John and I. What I mean to say - your bond with Mom has now deepened in an undefinable way!!!! HUGS TO YOU BOTH

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so terrific! Happy to KNOW where you get your talent from ...she has to be an inspiration!!!! She is now a real Hex-aholic!

    I have quilted since 1966 - 2 daughters.... who haven't quilted. That is until NOW!!!! One of our girls has turned into a quilter, and a very good one. Both girls learned to sew at a very young age. They have always made all kinds of things.... but to have at least one of them making QUILTS....OHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOWWWWWWWWWW....

    And she is the daughter who lives in the same town as John and I. What I mean to say - your bond with Mom has now deepened in an undefinable way!!!! HUGS TO YOU BOTH

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ms. Bonnie; mirror mirror on the wall...I have become my Mother after all. Love her gardens. Enjoy your family and hexi time. Robin, Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE your Mom's "words to live by" quilt. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:16 AM EDT

    Oh my gosh Bonnie, does your family have talent!! Your Mom is brilliant using hexies to make words and the red is so eye catching!! Without a doubt you two have to be the most talented Mother/ Daughter duo.. Thanks so much for sharing and YOU GO GIRLS!!! Carolyn Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Mum's work is beautiful - love the words with hexies idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Memorial day! What a great surprise! Your Mom's quilt is just lovely. Words are just such a great inspiration!.
    Love to all.

    Aileen in FL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely creative! Thanks so much for sharing. Wish my mom was able to do those sort of things still. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mom's hexie work is great! Hope you're having a fantastic time with your family. Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is just amazing! What a creative way to use the hexagons! I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I did a quilt(turning twenty) for a friend and included embroidered words...maybe a few your mom would like.
    Smile, laugh, imagine,respect,live, journey.My favorite is imagine.
    The hexie definitely are running in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is great to see your mom using scrappy fabrics, too! I love the throw quilt with it's scrappy neutrals and scrappy reds. I hadn't seen that design before, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your mom's word hexie quilt. That is a fabulous idea. So sweet to see that she had taken off with your idea and left you in the dust!! ha ha, I'm sure you are not far behind though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful! I just love the hexie quilt your mom has come up with. It's easy to see where you got your creative genius. Love those words! And the other two projects are great too. I invite you to link to Hexie Weekend (ends Monday, Midnight) to share these beauties. I always find eye canding in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bonnie,
    Such joy! And I know Mom must be popping her buttons with pride in all you do.
    Enjoy
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loving your mom's hexie projects! I need to get back to mine! Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)