>>>>

Saturday, May 10, 2014

More Scenes from Mackinac

Mackinac_May2014 2180
I’m finished with all 6 teaching days in Michigan!  We had such a great time, and each class was different, and I know there are a bunch of gorgeous quilts underway ---

I enjoyed a great dinner with several of the ladies from the Great Lakes Heritage Quilters, lots of laughter and animated chatter ---it will not soon be forgotten, these ladies have become life long friends.

I took two loops around the park, making sure I got in my 10, 000 steps today --- goal met!

And as I sit here uploading the myriad of photos I took of today’s workshop in preparation for editing down and getting them ready for tomorrow morning’s blog post – I came across these photos I took of one of our late afternoon jaunts on Mackinac Island ---I believe this was a Tuesday Evening walkabout –and the pictures, even with the weather as cold as it was, brought back so many memories, I thought I would share them with you.

Being this was my first time on the island, I was trying to capture everything I could to remember it all.  And I’m really truly glad that the island was not at full capacity in the heat of the summer while I was there.  It was great feeling like we had much of it to ourselves – like we owned the island, and the island owned us, for just that period of time.

This is the view as I looked North while standing at the platform found at the top of Arch Rock.

Mackinac_May2014 2178

Arch Rock!

If you look closely in the upper right.. you’ll see Jill taking photos up against the rail, and half of the Hubster close behind.  I was dawdling behind so I could get some of these photos.

Mackinac_May2014 2176

The water is unbelievably clear – and unbearably cold!

Mackinac_May2014 2183

Looking the other direction – freighter in the distance ---

Mackinac_May2014 2167

We also thought we’d just about die climbing stair after stair after stair to get up to Fort Holmes on foot!

Mackinac_May2014 2168

But we made it.  Fort Holmes is the highest point on Mackinac Island and you can see for miles from up here.

Mackinac_May2014 2169

Another island in the distance ---

Mackinac_May2014 2170

Fort Holmes Marker

Mackinac_May2014 2172

More gorgeous view on the best afternoon weather-wise yet!

Mackinac_May2014 2173

Yes, snow still on the ground in spots!

In the summer these roads and trails are great for hiking and biking and I would really love to make it back when we have the chance.  Just looking at this photo brings back the fresh smell of the pines and the nippy breeze ---I loved every minute of it!

And this next bit has NOTHING to do with Mackinac Island at all ---but remember a couple of weeks ago when I was at the Sewing Expo in Carrollton, KY??  And that I had guys video taping in my classroom??

The little promo they put together is now online!!  There are glimpses of a couple of my quilts  in here, and several shots of me talking to my students as I was wearing a body mic.

Check it out:


The guys did a great job pulling this together – I love the music, and the shots of the vintage featherweights in action, the belt, the presser foot, everything!  They captured the feel of what it’s like to be quilting a way with a group of close quilt friends!

Have a great evening, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. Nice photos of Mackinac! Thanks for taking us along Bonnie. Great job on the video too. Kentucky welcomes you back anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a Michangander, if you ever have then chance to visit Charlevoix or Traverse City, please do so. Seeing these towns on the shores of fresh water - the Great Lakes, it's like no other place on the earth. All the best,
    Caro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie in Tucson, AZ9:45 PM EDT

    Your photos of Mackinac Island bring back a flood of memories. I spent a week on the island as a teenager. The video is excellent - and finally hearing your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video! As Caro said ... if you can ever visit Charlevoix, Traverse City, Petoskey you'll see why so many people who live "Up North" believe they're living in Paradise ... we really ARE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to convince DH that we need to go to Mackinac..... and I played the video for him. He said; "OK, I get it" -- and recognized your name, Bonnie! He is learning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on the island today with 600 girl scouts, parents and leaders. Very , very busy but so cool seeing all the stuff you have been talking about . Loved the carpet at the Grand Hotel, you were right it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:28 PM EDT

    I just love the video. It was just wonderful with the close up of moving sewing machine parts esp. on the featherweight. It was exciting just to see it. Thanks for sharing your life Bonnie. You are the best!! Carolyn Barnett csbbobbin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie is now a movie star! What a great job. Hey, I want to start teaching quiting here in my adult community. How to start? Maybe with one of Bonnie's patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great video! It's so nice to see some younger women learning to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this video, for those of us that cannot get to one of your classes, this was just a very small piece of what it may be like. Perhaps we could have more of these sometime. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been away from the computer for a while...just catching up. We took a family vacation to Mackinac a few years ago and took pictures from the same spot:) You are right, it is hot and sticky in the summer! But just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)