>>>>

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Leaving Mackinac ---

Mackinac_May2014 2207-001
This morning I made two trips down to the ferry docks on foot –so happy for the woolie mittens and hat I purchased while on the Island – I can honestly say I got my money’s worth here, the wind was howling and biting cold, yet at 9:30am I was hoofing it down with The Hubster and Jill, sending them off on their way.

This is the photo I took last evening as we arrived back to the hotel after dinner. The American Flags are put out before dawn, and brought back down before sunset, you can see they are no longer flying in this picture.

I love how the light and the cloud formations play against each other!

I had to have my OWN suitcase tagged and placed outside the door to my room by 10am, so I packed quickly ---keeping my backpack and its contents with me for the ferry journey to the other side. 


Mackinac_May2014 2226

I stopped by Sarah Fielke’s class to bid my farewells!  You DO know who Sarah Fielke is, don’t you? Of COURSE You do!  She is a brilliant quilter and instructor, and designs whimsical lines of fabric for Windham.  I enjoyed meeting her in person and I hope our paths will cross again in the future, but it may be a while as she was here from Sydney, Australia.

Click HERE for Sarah's website.

I’ve got photos to share from her classroom in a future post ---

But it’s time to get myself down to the dock for my own departure!

Mackinac_May2014 2227

Bye bye beautiful REAL flowers found everywhere!

Mackinac_May2014 2228

Check these out, lilies and tulips and hydrangea and forsythia and yellow roses among others….they are shouting HURRY UP SPRING!  We need you in upper Michigan!

Mackinac_May2014 2229

On the way to the ferry we pass this sign post…Hahaha!  We are a long way from warm places!

Mackinac_May2014 2230

And the flip side!

Quite a few of the employees of the Grand Hotel hail from Jamaica or the Philippines so it IS a long way away from home for them.  I am, however, only heading down to Bloomfield Hills, in the Detroit area – just a ferry ride and a 5 hour car ride away!

Mackinac_May2014 2232

Bye Bye Mackinac!  I hope to be back some day!

Mackinac_May2014 2237

And little by little, the majestic Grand Hotel fades into the distance as our ferry gathers speed across the choppy waters taking us to Mackinaw City on the other side –where our luggage is miraculously waiting as are cars, and a long car ride ahead.

Mackinac_May2014 2241

Yes,, there is plenty of time for this  -- all the way!

In this section are fabrics gifted to me from Jo Morton – along with – can you find it?? Look closely!  You just might find a LORAX or two, or three! :cD

OH, and the hot pink lipstick looking thing is my Sewline Needle Threader.  This thing is the BOMB.  Get one.  Trust me.

Now the funny part of this journey is that I’ve been in texting contact with The Hubster, who met up with teachers Susan Carlson and Lucy Neatby as well as Friend Jill – they were all at the Pellston airport and all on the same flight to Detroit together, and spent layover time together in Detroit.  The Hubster is having a great time with my friends without me! Hahaha!  Actually, this makes me happy for him.  I’m sure they kept him entertained and I don’t have to worry about him.  He has now boarded his flight and is on his way home to Greensboro.

Mackinac_May2014 2243

10,000 steps!

My hotel is close to this wonderful park that has a great walking trail meandering through it ---after dropping off my bag I headed out for a leg stretch.  Oh happy girl, I got my steps in!

So this girl is done for tonight.  I’m tucking in, calling it a day, and sleeping in until I wake up in the morning.

G’night everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. I would love to visit Mackinac Island one day. It has fascinated me for years. I the hexie a are lovely. I am still working on my first hexie project, and trying to stay loyal, but I am so drawn to these done in the civil war and reproduction prints. What I have going is very bright pink, yellow, orange, purple, etc. I am not sure what they will be yet, but I envision a little girl's Grandma's Flower Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:40 PM EDT

    Hey Bonnie what is the red thing in the pic with your hexies.looks like a gadget I don't have! Darlene from Boston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:42 PM EDT

    Hey Bonnie what is the red thingy in your hexie pic.must be a gadget I don't have.Darlene from Boston .dlc183@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish the weather had been warmer for you! We've had a brutal winter that lingered forever. But I hope you got some sense of the magic of Mackinaw Island. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing you Thursday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mackinac Island! I hope your next visit will be in July or August when everything is in full swing and the weather is much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU have had such an adventure! Maybe The Grand and the island will inspire a quilt? Could happen :)

    Safe trip...
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't get a chance to drive across the 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge that connects the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan! The bridge is awesome, but scary as well. Glad you had a good time on the Island..wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pathway through the park looks so peaceful enjoy your time.
    Its so what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed your posts, especially since my son is heading up to Mackinac next week to play piano. I was thinking he might need some wool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mackinac Island is a slice of out of time. In a way, you're lucky to get away before the "fudges" start to invade and the smell overwhelms the town.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)