>>>>

Saturday, May 03, 2014

Meet Susan Carlson, Fiber Artist!

Mackinac_May2014 114-001
We kicked off the Grand Hotel Needlework Conference last night here on Mackinac Island, Michigan with a delightful presentation by Susan Carlson, a fabulous fiber artist from Maine!

She took us on a journey back in time to the beginnings  of her quilt making – her mother was a fabulous seamstress and Susan inherited her love of fabric and of sewing from her mother.

Over the years, Susan’s art has evolved from portraits of people, especially of family and loved ones, to other subject matter, namely nature, both whimsical and life like!

Susan is shown here at her book signing table after the lecture last night, in the company of Jerry, who is actually Jackie Compton’s hubby helping her out.  Jackie is the person-in-charge of pulling this great event together, and it has been fun getting to know everyone while here.

I took some photos of her wonderful works of art ---and I hope you enjoy them!

Mackinac_May2014 102

Inspired by Susan’s dog, from a photograph.  What I love the most about Susan’s work is that she uses the same fabrics that we all do ---printed cottons.  Her eye for detail is amazing!

Mackinac_May2014 103

Close up ---isn’t this gorgeous?

Mackinac_May2014 104

Polka DoDo!

She told us that Polka DoDo has over 100 different polka dot fabrics in it.  I’m not sure I have that many polka dots in my stash ----but I love how she has used them, just the same fabrics we all use!

Mackinac_May2014 105

Close up of DoDo

Mackinac_May2014 106

Mandala with Dragonflies

I was trying to get photos while crowded around a table with other quilters so I apologize about not having the whole quilt to share.  I know you can see more of Susan’s work on her website at SusanCarlson.com

Mackinac_May2014 107-001

Close up of Dragonfly – check out those eyes!

Mackinac_May2014 108-001

She loves to do fish – check out this guy!

Mackinac_May2014 109-001

Close up detail!

She loves to work with the fabric “as is” without painting it or dying it – just searching for that perfect piece –like a leaf that can become a fish’s lips, or the right piece that can become an eye.

Mackinac_May2014 110-001

Golden Toad!

Mackinac_May2014 111-001

Close up!

Mackinac_May2014 112-001

Beetle!

Mackinac_May2014 113-002

Beetle face!

I am grateful to have had the chance to see these gorgeous pieces of art up close and person and to get to spend time with Susan while here on the island ---

Classes start today for me.  Today we will be deep into checkerboards with Crabapples from my book Adventures with Leaders & Enders!

More fun from Mackinac to follow --- but now, we are heading down to breakfast and getting this day rolling ---


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

10 comments:

  1. Those quilts are amazing! Thanks so much for introducing this fabulous artist! I will be looking for her works again for sure. Beautiful & inspirational! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Susan's art. It is beautiful. I'm wondering what her method of applique is. I can't see any stitching in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. her works is amazing - so life like

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look just beautiful! I don't think I would have the patience to make a quilt like that. But I sure do enjoy the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I hadn't seen her work before, thank you for introducing me to her

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both of her books and love them but your photos in close up are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Susan's work, her books are fabulous. Thanks for sharing the detail shots, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have taken a class from Susan Carlson and it was fabulous!! She makes you have a different perspective about fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeri Matthews5:55 PM EDT

    Her work is just fabulous!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    jeri Matthews
    jeri0372@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan's use of fabrics never cease to amaze me! She is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)