>>>>

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hawk’s Nest in High Gear!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 227
This is Judy!

Never before in the many years that I’ve been teaching has a quilter come with her quilt almost together, and I was so excited to see what she had done!

You know, it’s a slippery slope – you start with ONE test block, get all excited, dig in and just go for it.

And it was great to have her blocks and nearly assembled quilt top and pieced borders in class because I could use her work as my demo pieces!

She had her center together and was to the point of adding the extreme pieced border--

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 228

Love her green where I had cheddar!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 224

Check this out!  We were all cheering Judy on ---

Adventurous students? I love them!  Even ones who email me asking – “Is it okay if I make the blocks bigger? Like make my units twice the size??"

ABSOLUTELY!  It’s your quilt!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 222

Here is our double sized block with each unit finishing at 3” instead of 1.5”!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 238

Double size blocks are great to show off those fun modern big prints!

You will find the pattern for Hawk’s Nest in my book Scraps & Shirttails II.  Signed copies can be ordered from my website HERE.

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 125

Out For Lunch!

The location where our workshops were held are very close to some local restaurants, so on both days we headed out to get some steps in on the way to lunch and back.  Look at how different the temperatures are, in just the span of a week!   We were freezing in 37 degrees plus windchill on Mackinac Island just a week ago – now, it’s short sleeves and sandals weather--  And the leaves are out!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 126

Hurry up, girls! We’re hungry!

BloomfieldHills_MI2014 127

MMM A Greek salad at Zorbas--  Can’t be beat!

We had a wonderful time, and I know I say that a lot – but truly, it was a terrific day and I really enjoyed these ladies.

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Hawk's Nest, Bloomfield Hills, MI 2014



I’m packing it up and headed home today on an early afternoon flight from Detroit that will have me touching down in Greensboro about 4pm ---I’m being treated to a Mother’s Day dinner!  Can’t wait.

It’s time to spend some time at home where I belong.

mothersday

6 comments:

  1. I don't have the new book yet. Guess I better get a move on it. This block has intrigued me. It looks like a gem on a ring. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one to have a go at. Looks so good in all the colors.

    Happy Mothers Day Bonnie, and enjoy your dinner.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it just me or does that plate of salad look like Judy's block? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day to you Bonnie! Hope you have a wonderful relaxing day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mothers' Day Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooohhhh! Hawk's Nest makes for a great modern looking block in that bigger size! Love it, this one is on my list for sure--maybe two of them (one in each size!). Oh Bonnie, how will I ever keep up?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)