>>>>

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Two Hunter Girls go Shopping!

20140709_145546
Scott. Melissa and Kami left yesterday on their long trek back to Texas.

I really enjoyed having them here with us, and I KNOW they enjoyed the cooler temps and the lower humidity we have had thus far in July ---it beats Dallas all to heck in the summer months.

Pam and I decided to take an afternoon wander over to West Jefferson – she wanted to do some souvenir shopping, and I was on the lookout for more dining room chairs and a couple of bedside tables for the guest room up at the cabin – so where do we go?  My fave antique place to wander up here  ((out of those I have found..there may be more to discover yet!))

This is Main Street Antique Mall just outside of downtown West Jefferson – and you can spend hours in here just browsing.  In fact, we did…nearly two hours…oh boy!

20140709_145705

A grouping of  antique oil lamps bring back the feel of an earlier time.

I use these at home when the power goes out.  I have a couple up here at the cabin for such an emergency, but luckily we haven’t had to use them yet.  I just love the feel of these vintage things!

20140709_160222

Oh spool cabinet!  Where would I put you?!?

I hemmed and hawwed on this one….no where to put it.  Seriously.  It’s not exactly big enough for a bedside table…but…..who knows.

20140709_150005

Now this is sweet flow blue!

Poor little container has lost its lid.  But I love the shape.  It’s only $12.00.  Baby, you are coming home with me!

There were a couple of machines…..take a load of this one, you don’t see these very often:

20140709_153031

Looks like a desk at first glance until you see the feet shaped pedals!

20140709_153018

Wilcox & Gibbs, 1868!

The price wasn’t bad for this amazing piece of history – $325.00.  But – my rules are…I must be able to sew on it.  This one sews SIDEWAYS, moving the fabric from left to right instead of front to back.  Not really great for quilting.  And the needles run about $10.00 a piece.  Not very great for quilting either.  But if you are interested in this sweetie, give them a call.

20140709_153257

Singer 201, about $200.00

Already have one, don’t need another ((not at this price)) but it was a fun day of catch and release!

And there were quilts!

20140709_151302

Fun half hexagon!

20140709_151355

Feed sack lemoyne stars on screaming yellow!

20140709_152256

Sweet scrappy 9 patch on burgundy resist!

20140709_152544
Rolling Stars!

20140709_153845

Burgundy whirly gigs!

20140709_153921

Strawberry with great primitive fan quilting!

20140709_154036

Early double Irish Chain!

20140709_154211

Simple indigoes and double pinks in an album block variation!

It was a great day for quilt sightings, and it made me want to come back and sew so bad!

This morning that “sew so bad” feeling was rewarded by what was falling outside:


I got RAINED OUT!!

But I didn’t get rained out early enough – I had already headed out to get my fitbit steps in, got about 3,000 steps into my hike when the sky opened up and drenched me.  I had to call home to have someone come get me….so here I sit, still pretty damp, trying to get this posted.

Raining?  Oh yeah, it’s the perfect sewing day all right!

Love from Buck Mountain --


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

13 comments:

  1. OMG...I would be so broke with a store like that close to me! You find such fabulous treasures to share with us every time you venture into an antique store. Love that blue bowl. I NEVER find treadle machines. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 'catch and release' comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure that the treadle is a Wheeler and Wilson. Very cool old machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee those places always look so interesting. Especially when I see MY ANTIQUE Wilcox and Gibbs machine!!! The lastest patent on mine was 1856. Did you notice the glass press foot?... she is my baby girl... Lorena (after the melancholy. Civil War tune...banned by both North and South - it was that sad!

    Smiles, JulieinTN --- Thanks for the antiquing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:08 AM EDT

    Love the half hexagon. Oh those colors. Love'm. Thanks for taking me antiquing this morning. You are the best! Goathillquilter. Sutton0161@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, Lorena is a favorite of mine too. I didn't know that it was banned. Was it by the armies or later?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:11 AM EDT

    Love the half hexagon. Oh those colors. Love'm. Thanks for taking me antiquing this morning. You are the best! Goathillquilter. Sutton0161@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much for the thread cabinet? Beautiful items in this shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a spool cabinet exactly like that one. The lady I bought it from - a friend of hers had made a base/shelf assembly for it. Holds all my buttons. BTW - needles for the sideways machine (probably a WW4) are curved, no longer made, and I've seen them go for $35-$40 each!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could smell the rain!!! Best smell in the world (next to bread baking)! I'll need to revisit here next week if we hit the 106 they predict - not normal for eastern Washington this early in the summer!!! Thanks for sharing all the catch and release and the take home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun shopping trip! I wish I had that spool cabinet - have been looking for one to use as a cash box at shows. I do have a machine and cabinet that is nearly identical to the Wilcox & Gibbs - and we paid $2 for it at an auction! Have fun during the rest of your time at the cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That spool cabinet would be just right on top of a small table next to a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, that spool cabinet looks just like mine, but mine's in nicer condition. My Aunt (who passed away at an early age from Alzheimer's gave it to me as she only had boys.) Do you remember how much they were asking for it?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)