>>>>

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Leaders & Enders Take Over!

donnagranddaughter1
I’ve heard from a lot of you on how the whole idea of Leaders & Enders has taken over your quilting life--

Causing you to be more productive, to think ahead just a bit, to see things growing faster, to multi task quilting projects, making it a game to work on more things at once, or to use parts of the same quilt you are already working on as the leader or ender to keep your piecing continuous.

I love the game of “do not end the thread!”  Keep those chains going!

This sweet photo is of Donna’s Granddaughter who’s got the Leader & Ender bug big time!

Donna writes:

Hi Bonnie,
I knew you would appreciate knowing that I just explained leaders and enders to my 11-year-old grand daughter and she picked up on the concept immediately. 
She has been sewing on her own adult quilt since she was five, with my guidance, and today was the big day she finished the top. When her Dad came to pick her up she very authoritatively explained leaders and enders to him, much to his amazement!
Just think, if I learned about L&E five years ago, maybe she could have made a quilt for me too!
Thank you so much for the many things I have learned from your blog and for being so generous with your patterns.
Sincerely,
Donna Peterson
If 11 year olds can get it and do it, YOU CAN TOO!
 
susannarragansett1
 
Susan’s Narragansett Blues from MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders!

((Sorry for the blurry photo, this is how it came in a very small size via email))
 
Susan has been busy putting her Leader & Ender units to good use by making Narragansett Blues!
 
She writes:
 
Just put the last border on your Narragansett Blues pattern.  What fun!!! Thanks for your inspiring ideas, and your great directions. 

Am having a hard time deciding what Leader and Ender to do next.


Susan in Baltimore
LOVE IT!!

That’s what it’s about!  Either pick a part of the quilt you are already currently working on, or pick parts of a second project, maybe one you’ve been putting off starting because you thought you couldn’t juggle two at once!  YOU CAN!

20140706_221805

My own pile of lozenges has been growing this week as my Leader & Ender project!

The free pattern and info on the Lozenge Leader & Ender challenge is found under the Free Patterns tab at the top of the blog.  If you haven’t got a current Leader & Ender project going, why not join us in this one?  Info on the Lozenge Leader & Ender pattern page.

If you are NEW to my blog, and are unsure of what Leaders & Enders are, read my article HERE to shed some light on the subject!

As for my day --- The Hubster left just before noon, taking Sadie with him and leaving me alone on my own ----I haven’t been on my own since I got back from Pennsylvania!  So what did I do?

I cleaned bathrooms.  I remade beds with clean linens, I folded towels, I swept and rearranged the front porch.  I cleaned my sewing area so I can mess it up again!

I am currently putting the green and pink spiderweb parts on hold.  I’m just concentrating on the yellow ones.  Sometimes the best laid plans just do not turn out well ---and sometimes a detour is the best thing you can do.

And I HOPE I can find more yellow..because I have a feeling I’ll run out.  I’ve got a snippet of it in my car for a road trip to Mary Jos on Wednesday ---hoping they have something close, if not the same one.

When it comes to solids I like…I should BUY THE BOLT!

And I just might.

Back to the machine -- have a great Saturday Eve, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're getting ready to be very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love alone time to sew ... it's precious in our busy worlds. I hear ya on "buying the bolt" ... I have done that in the past and not regretted it for one moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe just variations of yellows is all that quilt will need. Have fun at Mary Jo's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so satisfying to pass on knowledge to those we love...especially our grandchildren. My love of quilting bypassed my daughters but my grandie girls love it. You must be a happy camper with your very talented granddaughter! imakejoy@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went looking for more info on leaders and enders and only got to page that tells me about your books. I would love to read the article about them and how they work. Then I just might order the books. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:40 PM EDT

    ruthbythesea@outlook.com

    I couldn't find this article either on leaders and enders. Would love to read about it first before buying a book. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To the ladies who can't find the article, look at the top of the blog there is a tab for tips and techniques, scroll down and you will see Leaders and Enders. This link might help. It's really a neat process!
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/leaders-enders-whys-and-hows.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to figure out out a project and lozenges just might be it. I have your wonderful book but not enough scraps cut or organized so not sure I can jump in with out some pure planning and cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been making a Dancing 9 Patch as my leader and ender project while working on Jamestown Landing. It's amazing how fast it has grown and I now very nearly have two completed quilt tops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always got at least one leaders and enders project going. I'm always doing crumb blocks which eventually end up as peg bags or potholders for our craft co-operative - very good sellers, and usually one other using some of the millions of pre-cut squares I have - at the moment blue four patches for a cot quilt border

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Bonnie, buy the bolt! I have bolts of Kona black, white, snow and wheat and they are cherished and loved and used repeatedly! I bet Mary Jo just loves it when you walk in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:39 AM EDT

    I really like the quilt you think is giving you problems. So bold and bright and I would have NEVER thought to do it as you are doing. It's GREAT and that green you don't like.......I think it's the BOMB!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just learned about leaders & enders just last week. I'm getting a better idea of how I can be working on more than 1 project at a time. I'm loving the idea! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    I am sharing here that I checked out the online all day DIY sewing/crafting/creating classes.I LIKED on Face-book and signed up for the newsletter.This sounds so neat!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)