>>>>

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Oh Yeah, I was Antiquing in Virginia!

Manassas_VA2014 120
This is what happens when days are full, and there are slide shows and show and tells and other things to take up my day’s posts – I FORGET to post what I said I was going to --

A gentle email reminder saying “hey, what about those other goodies you promised to share” woke me out of my road weary stupor!  Oh, and there are some good ones!

I have a fondness for patchwork bears.  Especially the ones that look like they have played hard in their previous life as a quilt…Sometimes the ONLY thing you can do with a tattered cutter piece is make something out of it so the quilt and the memories that come with it can live on in another form.  I love the bit of cheddar on this guy’s muzzle – isn’t he cute?

Manassas_VA2014 133

THIS PILE!

Oh boy!

Manassas_VA2014 138

Economy patch in a 9 patch!

Manassas_VA2014 139

How fun would this be?  Oh red and white, you are still calling to me, but I haven’t caved yet!

Manassas_VA2014 140

1840s Blazing Star.

Manassas_VA2014 142

Wow…

I admit, from first glance across the room I thought it was a Chinese knock off.  But that border fabric just spoke EARLY EARLY to me….and indeed it is.  Check out the fabrics closer:

Manassas_VA2014 143

And all that hand quilting!

It wasn’t in really great shape..some of the reds are disintegrating wherever there was a black design on them…the fabric is being eaten from the inside out, but what a load of love and care went into the making of this beauty.  And I can assume the maker, or the person who commissioned the quilt if that was the case, was somewhat wealthy – yards and yards of 3 fabrics only in this quilt.  Not a household scrap quilt that “middle class” homes would have around.  This was a fancy one.

Manassas_VA2014 144

Wool crazy!

Manassas_VA2014 134

TURTLES!!

Manassas_VA2014 135

Each turtle is made from 4 Drunkard’s path units with an appliqued head and tail.

Manassas_VA2014 136

Lovely big chunky wedding ring!

Manassas_VA2014 158

Double pink and white top, Shoe Fly variation.

Manassas_VA2014 159

OOPS!  LOL!

Manassas_VA2014 160

A very well loved and used 6 point star.

Manassas_VA2014 161

This one needs to be a bear in it’s future if it wants to survive…it’s about shattered, but what a lifetime of comfort it has given!

Manassas_VA2014 164

Scrappy baskets!

Manassas_VA2014 165

What a fun collection of scraps went into these!

No quilts came home with me.  I a seriously full to the gills and it would have to be a very special one that spoke to me LOUDLY if I were going to bring it home.  I am happy with my camera and my photos for inspiration for future quilts down the road.  There are already too many quilts in this house!

I spent some time last night nesting in my studio.  We’ve got Quilt-Cam tonight and I wanted it clean!  Not only that, but I’m off from traveling for 3 weeks and it just felt good to put my house and life in order:

clean1

Long and narrow, but sufficient for my needs.

I’m hoping to get my cheddar sampler finished with the pinning in ---and get the quilting started today.  I don’t know how far I’ll get, but I’m going to enjoy every minute of studio time that I can get over the next 3 weeks. 

Don’t forget that Quilt-Cam is at 9pm EST tonight.  Come here to the blog and look for that post.  If you arrive before 9pm you may need to refresh the page so you get the most recent post at the top ---

Yep, it will be “THOSE” string spider web blocks again!  See you then!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

13 comments:

  1. You sure sound happy to be home again. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No break? I thought you would take a few days off before quiltcam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to webcast tonight. Thanks for all the pictures of the antique quilts. I love the turtle one made with drunkard path bloc. I am going to have to try that one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, you find the best quilts and quilt tops. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    John's nickname is Bear (fits perfectly) and stuffed bears are my ting also. Am collecting (still) his plaid shirts. Going to make both daughter a Daddy Plaid Shirt Bear...patchwork :)

    Thanks for all you do for us.... as I tell everyone: you are such a normal nice person...very down to earth HUGS

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  5. red and white is calling me too.
    Thanks for taking us along on the antiquing trip :0) See you tonight.
    Enjoy your time at home and
    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are home and spiffing things up and accomplishing much. Looking forward to Quilt Cam with you. Enjoy your studio time!
    Hugs, Allison in Plano

    P.S. Ace Hardware had the BBQ swivel lights. Me and three of my vintage sewing machine friends are going to be VERY happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilts in that antique shop! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great time at home; although I understand it is just for a few daays.
    Love to catch you tomorrow on the archived Quilt-cam.
    Just got your new book "More adventures with Leaders and Enders" last week; so happy with it!! I absolutely adore the Friendship Quilt!
    Love from the Netherlands,enjoy everything you do, greetz, Ria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And what a lovely 'nest' it is! Nothing quite like a quilt space of your own. Enjoy your time at home :-)
    P.S. Love that bear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you are going to be HOME for a few weeks! Traveling is fun, but being on the road non-stop can be wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Working tonight so I will miss Quilt Cam most likely, but as always I watch later (have not missed a one!) and I am there in spirit! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Economy Patch in a 9 patch. I am holding out waiting on you to do the red and white two color quilt. Can't wait, I will be right with you when you decide. Glad you are home. BTW I have now lost 38 lbs. Paula in KY

    ReplyDelete
  12. what are the approximate dimensions of your room?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The red and White Love carries on...I have one in my TO-DO pile. I love the scrappy Basket quilt. That one would have tempted me a LOT to come home. What kind of prices were on these well-worn quilts? I enjoyed Quilt Cam last night. Just watching, resting up from my travels. Thanks for all you share!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)