>>>>

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sunday Morning on the Mountain

20140713_065445
Another beautiful morning in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I thought I could sleep in, but no ---the body automatically wakes up the moment dawn hits…maybe it’s the birds, maybe the little bit of light coming through the closed slats of the wood blinds that cover the bedroom windows.

Maybe it’s just me needing to get up to the restroom, but whatever it is, there is NO going back to sleep once I’ve opened one eye to peek at the clock and see what time it is.

It’s time to get up, to get moving, to not waste a minute ---

I love people, I love being around people, but after giving everything inside of  me to a houseful over the past week, this is when I recharge my batteries.  I need alone time.  I need to retreat into solitude where I don’t have to use my voice to talk to anyone, or my ears to listen to anyone or to worry about filling anyone else’s wants and needs but my own.  I retreat.  I hermit.

Even as a child and into my teenage years, when my battery ran low, you'd find me locked in my room with my nose deep into a book just being SOLO.  When the battery is charged, out I come ready to be amongst the living again!

And hermiting on the mountain means we take long solo morning walks and fully take in the beauty of simple things like Queen Anne’s Lace on the roadside:

20140713_064827-1

So delicate and lacy!

20140713_070507

Take in the pink and purple in the dawn sky.

20140713_071226

Take in how the  morning humidity leaves smoky wisps  filling the nooks and crannies of the Blue Ridge.

20140713_073007

Take in the colors of nature --I love this shade of fern green!

20140712_204511-1

Evening Solo Unsewing Time!

Last night I took back possession of my favorite sewing chair and began disassembling the spider web blocks I had already stitched together.

My nighttime Netflix choice?  Cedar Cove. Perfect chick flick material.

Yes, I am solo and in charge of the remote.

At this rate I may end up with a whole series of Spider Web quilts.  I am removing the yellow sections from the pink center that will likely become a baby quilt at some point for some little girl.  The green?  Well, who knows where those blocks will end up….

And truth be told I still LOVE my original drawing:

colorlayout1[7]

But I want SMALLER blocks and I want the strings to be ALL NEUTRALS!

And then I think to myself…maybe the solid areas should be string pieced too…and then I realize I have way too many projects I want to do and not enough time to do them.

But what  life to live right?  I am certainly NEVER BORED!

Back to the yellow blocks….catch you later!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

20 comments:

  1. enjoy your alone time! you have a beautiful place to do it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pix. Very relaxing. Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved every word and pix on this post. Thanks for the vision into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you relaxing. I know what you mean about enjoying a quiet time after having visitors to stay. Get more like that when you get older too! I like your idea of turning the pink spiderweb blocks into a baby girl quilt. That would be great. You look very relaxed unpicking - I think I probably always look stressed as I hate unpicking! Always seems such a waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so understand. Enjoy and recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Queen Anne's Lace! I brought seeds with me from when I lived in Ohio to 3 homes in Texas and the 3 that I have lived in since moving back home in New Mexico. I like telling the story about the little drop of blood in the center of the flower and seeing people's faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:33 AM EDT

    I think you just picked the wrong shade of green. I thought it was lovely, but we all see with different eyes.
    Anne Marsaw famarsaw@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:08 AM EDT

    WHEN I REALLY DON'T LIKE A BLOCK COLOR.... A LITTLE BLEACH GOES A LONG WAY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really miss Queen Anne's Lace on the roadside. Have not seen any here in the city of Phoenix, need to get into the country. Enjoy your recharge time, thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your solo-time!!! Love your pictures!
    And you will find the right thing to do with the spiderweb-blocks! They surely will find there place in a quilt, sometime...
    Love from the Netherlands, Ria.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:27 PM EDT

    Perhaps change the green to that lovely shade of the ferns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:32 PM EDT

    Perhaps change the green to that lovely shade of the ferns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...can't find "Cedar Cove" on Netfix! any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie thank you so much for "thinking out loud" in your blog. You cracked me up with your idea of sting piecing the solid color areas of your blocks, as I had just been looking a pictures of paper pieced pineapple blocks and thought oh bonnie is changing here spider web into a pineapple it just struck a funny bone in me!! Thank you
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE Queen Anne's Lace but have been told it cannot be "transplanted" (though I've never tried). Would love some in my garden ... enjoy your "recharge" time ... you have definitely earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Bonnie,

    Lovely pictures, just the sort of walk I would love, but a bit later in the day.

    Here's where I took a stroll last Sunday. I took the picture just around the corner from our house.
    http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/a-pretty-picture-for-sunday-english.html

    Counting down the days for England yet?

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  17. For lovers of the beautiful Queen Anne's Lace, it can be transplanted. I dug/pulled a small one out of the drainage ditch by my house & planted it my front yard. It grew quite tall with limbs curving every which way--kind of like a Dr. Suess tree! Small birds really like the seeds in the fall. Roxy in South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, you are a great writer. You transport me nearly every post. I too need refueling and alone time frequently.;>)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you explain to me what de-boning is and what do you recommend for fabrics or garments to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG the views are just gorgeous! Take me with you. I promise to hibernate in my own space and not bother you. LOL

    Maybe when we finish this mission my husband is on to find land with or without a house where we can eventually retire I can relax in my corner again in our current home.

    Thanks for sharing your corner but if you need someone to hibernate with you just holler. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)