>>>>

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Meet Claire of the Burgundy Mini-Van!

20140625_102704
Do you remember THIS POST where I explained how I had been  flagged by a drive-by quilter who was stopped at a red light in her burgundy minivan and asked me “Are you Bonnie Hunter??”

((This was like such a twilight zone moment..have you ever had that happen to you?!?))

A recent email let me know that her name is Claire, and she wants to share her quilts with us!

She writes:

Hi Bonnie,
I'm the woman in the burgundy minivan who flagged you down in front of the Stone House in the Manassas Battlefield.  I live down the road in Centreville and was driving through the battlefield that morning on my way to Fredrecksburg. 
I had read in your blog that you were going to be there that morning and as I drove down Route 29 I thought "maybe I'll see Bonnie Hunter." 
As I approached the Stone House, I saw a woman taking photos and thought it looked like you.  Then I realized it was you but figured I wouldn't get to say hi because the light was green.  As I approached the light, you came to the corner and the light turned red!  The timing was perfect -- who would have thought!
I have been a Bonnie Hunter fan since I read your column on the scrap user's system.  Then you came to speak to my guild -- Centreville Quilters' Unlimited (Centreville, VA) and I was off and running. 
We are kindred spirits.  I have always had a scrappy style -- the more fabrics the better.
 
clairem2
 
Claire’s Easy Street from MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders in Sunny Yellow!
 
I have attached photos of my 3 Bonnie Hunter quilts.  I first made Easy Street.  The border print was chosen to match the room I was redecorating for a quest room and the rest of the fabrics came from there. 
 
clairem1
Celtic Solstice by Claire
((who obviously has a great spot for taking quilt photos!))
 
I love mystery quilts so I had to do Celtic Solstice but I used your colors this time.  Those colors spoke to me because my husband and I had also just come back from Ireland and Scotland. 
 
clairem3

Oregon or Bust from Scraps & Shirttails II
 
After I purchased Scraps and Shirttails, I started collecting men's shirts from the Salvation Army (my husband says he didn't see that coming!).  I made Oregon or Bust from some of those. 
The best part is that almost everything for these quilts came from my scraps/stash!  My husband definitely likes that.
 
You are an inspiration to me.  I can't wait to do your next mystery quilt and I have a number of quilts from your books on my to-do list.
 
All the best,
Claire Morson
Claire, I’m delighted to meet you once again through email.  Your quilts are lovely, and your color choices..YUMMY!  I can’t wait to see what you send next!

Update from Quilt Villa:
 
I wish I had more to report on my progress over here, but unless you want progress on sweeping and mopping, vacuuming and laundry, and setting up the sewing area so that it is ready when I bring Mickey up here on Wednesday ---you are out of luck!
 
The un-stitching has been accomplished..and this is where I am now on the String Spider Web Redo Undo:
 
20140713_102453
 
I do like the yellow. 
 
The amount of SMALL SCRAPS as in bits and crumbs this uses is amazing.  The basket I brought is about down by half. Heaven knows there is more where that came from, so I shouldn't have trouble getting 80 blocks done that I think I need.
 
I just need more yellow.
 
That is on the list for Wednesday’s Mary Jo’s run.  PLEASE BE THERE, YELLOW!
 
All is ready ---and so tonight, I can mess it up a bit and sew some more.
 
Love from Buck Mountain --


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 PM EDT

    Hello Bonnie. Enjoy every moment of your alone time at the cabin. I know just how you feel about such time being needed and precious.
    I hope you enjoy your trip to Mary Jo's on Wednesday. It seems I remember a snow or ice storm the last time you planned to go. I live in central Virginia, far from Mary Jo's. However we will visit my sister in law at the end of the month near Charlotte. My niece lives in Gastonia, so I am hoping for a stop at Mary Jo's. I don't NEED any fabric, but it surely if fun to go there! Thanks for all you do!

    Brenda in VA. Bbbuck@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I see some green mixed in here? I love yellow but I think it needs something else. This quilt is such a learning experience. I am beginning to get a tiny glimpse into your creative mind and it is stretching my thinking. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think the yellow is the way to go - glad you changed it up.
    Margie in Surprise AZ, although I am currently in Gallup NM on the way to Durango CO on an RV vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts from your "stop light" friend, Claire---and I love the Yellow! Hope you find a perfect match at Mary Jo's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened to the pink and green spiderweb blocks? What are you going to do with those? You are a very fickle quilter, Bonnie Hunter!
    Love your stalker's quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hopelessly in love with green. I was sad to see it go. I enjoy reading your posts everyday. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:42 PM EDT

    You know, I love the yellow and I am definitely not a yellow person, at least THAT much yellow. I think it was the combo of the pink, yellow and green tog that didn't work. Love what you are doing! Anne Marsaw famarsaw@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not think Bonnie reads the posts, so I was wondering when Mens shirts are used in quilts, are they 100% cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Bonnie. I guess we all do a 360 when quilting. I am glad I am not alone. Love the layout. Thank you for the Blue Ridge pictures. I am heading out to Seattle in a few days. I hope to go up into the mountains. I really need the peace you feel when you go up into the forest. I always feel recharged.
    Love from a fan
    Aileen in FL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started a Spiderweb a few months ago with black centers that I was going to quilt spiderwebs in, but got bored with the same centers and put it away. I was looking forward to seeing what the yellow,pink,green webs would look like before I brought it out again as I don't buy alot of solids. Oh well you were kind enough to show us a layout so I'll just go from there. Maybe black, orange, black etc. until I get it big enough. Who knows? Can't wait to see your yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have spent your time well. Sorry your plan changed and you had to do some Un-sewing. It happens to all of us. Claire's quilts are great. I am collecting scraps for the next mystery. I'll cut them when the first clue comes out. Have fun getting stuff done with Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret Uebelacker5:12 AM EDT

    Enjoy Mary Jo's! Before they passed, my parents lived in Shelby and a trip to Mary Jo's was always a part of every visit we made from here in upstate NY. There's no place like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbees, I certainly DO read these posts! I just don't have time to personally answer each and every comment that comes my way -- I'd be here all day long!

    Yes, I buy 100% cotton shirts. I like the way cotton behaves and I am not a fan of sewing with polyester.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go Bonnie, I have had answers from you when the time was needed.
    You are very busy and we love your work.
    The yellow is a great way to go.
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the all yellow in your string quilt now ~ standing alone it just shines! Reading your post and seeing all yellow blocks ~ they just pop ~ is such a great way to start my day! Hope you have a great day, too, Bonnie Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that Claire e-mailed you. It was nice to hear the story again. Love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)