>>>>

Friday, July 04, 2014

Independence Day, 2014!

20140703_200957
Sunset on Buck Mountain last night, though not as pretty as some due to cloud cover and residual rain, was still spectacular in its own right, just for the peaceful feeling it brings up here on the mountain.

For those asking, we are quite a ways away from the reach of the hurricane –from HOME it’s a 4.5 hour drive to the coast, and the outer banks are even farther. 

I’m now an extra hour and a half west from coastal nastiness, so about 6 hours from the coast, and though we've had wind and rain, and dropping temperatures, this morning the sun is shining beautifully and it looks to be a wonderful day up on the mountain!

We got out this morning for a walk with Sadie, surprised that we needed jackets, or at least the cover of a denim shirt on top of t-shirt to not freeze.  FREEZE in July?  It was about 63 degrees at 7am this morning.  It feels wonderful!

20140704_064600

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies!

20140704_071657

For purple mountains majesty ((Or in this case blue!))

20140704_064859

No amber waves of grain, but Sadie has spotted a couple of deer in the woods this morning!

Last evening we were pretty plum tuckered out, and the only thing I could manage was to sew a few hexies on….time to see how this satellite is going to fit onto the mother ship:

20140704_071927

It’s coming along!

In some aspects I’m doing this by the seat of my pants, because I’ve altered a bit what I had graphed out, and I am too lazy to regraph the entire thing – I’d rather be sewing!  The row of blue is additional to my original plan which is shifting everything a bit….And I don’t know what’s going to happen beyond the blue….I guess I may NEED to redraft at some point!  But it does pull the blue from the center out to the edge of my design:

20140704_071935

Only 5 more satellites to go?  Gah!

20140704_071916

With family here this week, hand work may be the only thing I accomplish!

The plan for today is to get the binding machine sewn on to the cheddar sampler ((Yes, I remembered to pack a walking foot!)) so it is ready for this evening’s  hand stitching.

I’d like to work some more on the string spider web.  I’d like to lose myself in some silly chick flick movies on Netflix while sewing.  I’d like to not have to watch the clock, and only decide what to eat when I realize that I haven’t had lunch yet and I’m suddenly ravenously hungry because I’ve been so busy sewing.

I’d like this day to slow down and take its time passing because days like this don’t come around all that often ---

Don’t forget about Yard Sale Saturday tomorrow over at Suzanne’s Blog http://coloradolady.blogspot.com

apqradio

OH!  And MONDAY!!  I’ll be on Pat Sloan’s American Patchwork & Quilting radio show!  It starts at 4pm on Monday, July 7th.  You can listen live HERE!  If you miss it live, it will be in the archives on Pat Sloan’s site HERE

I will send another reminder Monday morning, but go ahead and make yourself a note and post it somewhere where you won’t forget NOW!

Have a great 4th, Everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

12 comments:

  1. Have fun at your pretty cabin...happy Fourth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outer row of blue! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July!! Enjoy your time alone and with family. Alone time with your machine is indeed few and far inbetween other things. We are not exactly sweating here in Ontario,Canada either but that is okay by me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful views from your Cabin - Home away from Home. Glad to know you are safe. The Hexie project is growing, slow but oh so good! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel. It seems like my days off speed past and I still have things I want to do in the studio! Too many "have to do's" like laundry and cleaning get in the way! Hope you get a few days to just sew and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, is that 4 pm EST? Love reading your blog and that Hexie project is absolutely amazing! Enjoy your "time off" at home and your family, my friend!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe use a crockpot meal so you can sew without disruption. I truly hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Ed Williams10:34 PM EDT

    Happy 4th! We are exactly midway between Arthur and the cold front that pushed him away, so we got no wind no rain, nada. Love your cabin and the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful celebration day for our country!!!

    Bonnie, each time I see your photo with the new haircut - you look downright elegant!!!!! Looks great LOL

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to tell you this, Bonnie...I first discovered podcasts the last time (I don't think you've been on since) you were on AP&Q Radio. I had to figure out how to download and listen on my iPod and all that good stuff. Well, I became addicted to podcasts! In fact, I finally had to upgrade to an iPhone 5 because I kept running out of memory and it was mostly podcasts taking up the available memory! I pretty much watch no tv anymore, I just listen to podcasts on my bluetooth headphones. They can go anywhere with me, while I am sewing, cleaning, driving, walking....it is great! So, thanks for introducing me to this new form of media :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:40 AM EDT

    Bonnie - your hexies look amazing - it would really be interesting to see your planning sketches for this quilt - or any of your other quilts.
    You are very generous with all your free patterns but what I'm requesting - hopefully not too cheekily - is an insight into the "pre-fabric" development of one or more of your quilts.

    Karen N. London UK

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)